1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Ward? Anyone know how he is doing now?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Playercentral, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Playercentral

Playercentral Member

whats going on with D ward now that hes not an Astro anymore?

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think he's now with the Dodgers.

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Hes in the Dodgers minor leauge system . :D

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Currently he's busy somewhere in the Dodger's system outeating his entire team.

5. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Ward is currently a backup OFer with the Dodgers. He has 1 official at-bat this season and he struck out. He also has a walk.

He would be flourishing right now if he were a DH in the American league.

6. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I still laugh to think of how high the Stros were on this guy a couple of years ago. Gotta love those "can't miss" prospects huh?

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I guess...in as much as anyone ever called Ward a can't miss prospect. It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't turned out good yet (he very well still could), but it still pisses me off that we could have gotten so much more for him had we been willing to trade him a year or two ago.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree with Lunatic. We could have gotten a lot had we traded Ward a couple years ago. Oh well, at least we got rid of Elarton in time.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Yep...back in 1999 if Ward and Elarton hadn't been declared untouchable by management, we would have shipped them to Toronto for Roger Clemens.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

1 for 2, single and K. Tearing it up (eating it up?).

Did 'stros misestimate his upside or ruin him?

11. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Don't misunderstand, I wasn't taking a shot at the Stros here. It just always amazes me how sure GM's and scouts are about someone before they ever get a chance to prove themselves.

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Oh great, thanks for remindig me. That's the one thing about the Astros which I never reallly liked.

That and how we don't have Randy Johnson anymore, but Seattle STILL has Guillen & Garcia, and had John Thadeuz Halama (now with Oaktown) until last year.:mad:

On the other hand, remember when Mario Elie was almost traded for Damon Stoudamire? That was good GM'ing.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you saying that the Astros have had bad general management over the past few years? Hunsicker has been reagarded as one of the best in the business. His acquisitions and "roster tinkering" have allowed the Astros to remain contenders year in and year out since he has been around (with the exception of the aberration of 2000). In additon the Astros have one of the best minor league systems as well as THE best baseball academy in South America. The credit for that goes to the ownership and management of the Astros.

14. Mr. Mooch

No, I was actually pointing out a couple examples of what seemed like good GM'ing at the time, and I was actually glad to have RJ when the trade happened. But those prospects were bound to great.

I never said Hunsicker did a bad job, nor did he. I think he's one of the best. I know all about what the Astros are doing, even though I don't see what having a great South American system has much to do with Hunsicker and his job in this case.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

It sucks that hind-sight is always 20/20. The year we got Randy was one of the most exciting times I've ever had being an Astros fan. I mean, he IS the next Nolan (although there really could never be a next Nolan)... forget Kerry Wood, nobody has thrown that hard, that LATE in their career except Ryan and Johnson.

It would be nice to have Oswalt, Garcia, Miller at the front of our rotation though.... or even better (if we could've signed Johnson): Johnson, Oswalt, Miller.... can you say BIG three?

16. bobrek

You're quote "that's the one thing about the Astros which I never really liked" in response to Refman's post about the Clemens "non-trade", led me to believe that you feel that the Astros make poor decisions. The quote and subsequent Randy Johns reference implies that the Astros don't place the proper value on their younger players (Elarton, Ward, Guillen, Garcia, Halama).

By the way, Guillen's lifetime average is .257 with an OBP of .327 and an OPS of .705. Those are very ordinary numbers. Lugo's same numbers are better across the board. Halama's lifetime ERA is 4.54. Those two players are far from great.

Freddy Garcia is a different story. He has put up good numbers ever since going to Seattle. You gotta give up something to get something and Garcia was it.

Since Hunsicker is the general manager, he is ultimately responsible for baseball related aspects of the Astros organization, including their minor league system and S.A. baseball academy.

17. Mr. Mooch

Jesus dude. Like YOU said, that was ONE reference.

I never said the Astros had poor roster management. In the Randy Johnson trade I felt the decision was poor, even though it, at the time, worked out in favor for the Astros in the remainder of the regular season (he sucked in the playoffs).

I used the Elie-Stoudamire non-trade in correlation with the Clemens-Elarton/Ward non-trade. It would've worked in favor of the Astros no doubt. I felt that the trade SHOULD have been done. I'm not criticizing unsicker or the Astros there because NOTHING HAPPENED. There wasn't a dtrade. I just felt it would've been better if they would have.
    Look at it this way; the Astros don't have Garcia, Guillen, Halama, Elarton, or Ward, but for those 5 players they have nothing. They could of had BOTH Clemens and RJ on the same roster.

You are looking WWAAAAAYYYYYY too much into what I am saying. I never said that Halama, Garcia, or Guillen were good. I "implied" that they are still around (except for Halama) in Seattle and RJ signed where he lives, Arizona.

Oh riiiiight, I forgot to mention that we also don't have B-rate Pedro (Astacio) around anymore (not that he's doing anything in NY nowadays).

So that leaves.....

RUDDY LUGO!!!!!!!

18. bobrek

Did I misread your quote?:

"No, I was actually pointing out a couple examples of what seemed like good GM'ing at the time, and I was actually glad to have RJ when the trade happened. But those prospects were bound to great."

I read that as you saying that the prospects traded for Johnson (Halama, Garcia and Guillen) were bound to be great.

19. Mr. Mooch

You don't quit, do you;).

Yes, Guillen was rated higher at the time, and obviously Garcia is a great pitcher (forget about Halama).

THEY WERE!!! AHHH!!!

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who was to be traded? Why did the deal die?