1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey signs a 5-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 13, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because CP3, Capela, Tucker, Ego, Faried, and Rivers are scrubs... GTFO!

2. rockets13champs

Apparently now he’s the highest paid. So morey is probably making 10+ M

BigShasta likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

My friend told me that
    Spurs GM 9 million a year
    GS GM 8 million a year
    Majority is 2 million a year.

My best guess for Morey is $4 million a year. Next contract for Masai Ujiri would be $5 million if Kawhi stays put.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Excited for Morey. Would’ve liked to see him challenge himself with a different organization without a James Harden ;)

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I would've jumped ship if I were maurley. maybe he wanted to see out harden's prime. i don't see maurlin sticking around post-harden if tillmon is still the owner.

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

morey was cutting costs so tilmen can pay his next contract

macan likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah definitely the smartest thing to do was go away from winning an actual title. not sure what he is thinking

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey: Boss, we need to get my contract done. Otherwise those folks on CF will continue to call you cheap.
    Tilman: I'll extend you if you can save me more tax money.
    Morey: Sure. How about I get 50% of every million I save on tax.
    Tilman: 30%
    Morey: 45%
    Tilman: 40%
    Morey: Deal! Now, it's time to convert House's contract.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Awesome

Tilman can’t tie his hands though.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reported.

BigShasta, ramotadab and xaos like this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Glad to hear; surprised to hear. For some time I've wondered if DM the GM would walk at EOS.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I am a walking jinx

Easy and DreamShook like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Use your power wisely. for the culture.

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“The Rockets will NOT win the championship this season”

And now we wait....

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

holic already has that reserved

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

18. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

All this news about Tillman's financial situation being bad is very likely a bunch of BS. There are many many signs that Tillman is not a financial liability.

Here are some of the major ones that I presume to be accurate based on my 30 years running businesses:

1. The NBA is not in the habit of authorizing sale of a franchise to an owner who can't afford to effectively operate the team. Particularly not for a Top 10 media market like Houston.

2. Morey doesn't sign a 5 year extension with an owner who can't afford to spend money to put together a championship team.

3. Chris Paul doesn't sign a max extension with a team he doesn't believe will be competitive in the twilight of his career. He's made plenty of money, what he's missing is rings. CP3 and his agent would require Tillman & Morey to prove they had the financial muscle to contend or he would have walked and played somewhere else.

4. Tillman doesn't spend the Max on CP3 if he can't afford to spend more to surround him and Harden with a winning team. If he was in financial difficulty, he'd have let CP3 walk as a max deal for a 34 year old, oft-injured player is a relatively risky move that you make only when your all-in to win a championship. You can't be all-in to win if you don't have the resources to afford it.

5. Tillman never would have authorized the pursuit of Jimmy Butler if he wasn't willing to pay Butler's salary and luxury tax hit that came with it.

6. The sale of the team to Tillman could not happen without Tillman, Morey and Harden meeting and discussing the strategy for leveraging Harden's prime years into one or more rings. Harden and his agent would have sought assurances that Tillman was committed financially to building a championship team or Harden wouldn't have supported the sale and ultimately would have demanded a trade.

7. Insider rumors before the deadline were that Morey was "in on every opportunity to add another star to the Rockets". Even though no deal materialized, Morey would have to have authorization from Tillman to spend money to even consider adding another star, particularly a star like Butler who would need to be signed to a big contract in the off-season to retain his services long term. Morey historically isn't the guy that trades assets for a rental for a single season - presumably any trade is made with the idea of signing the star long term.

Unless the NBA, Morey, CP3, Harden, other GMs and some of the more trusted insiders in the industry are all colluding to misguide us, Tillman isn't in financial trouble.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Your heart wasn't in that one.. I know how this works. You have to truly believe your pessimism for full x-gene activation.

J Sizzle likes this.