1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey says Harden may be the best ISO player EVER... True or false?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Feb 26, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

Morey apparently made a comment about Harden being the best ISO player ever at a SLOAN conference recently. He made these comments before the Denver game where Harden ended the game with this

Was that shot a statement to the critics? (Hence the cockiness after he hit the shot). Can we consider James the goat ISO player? I don't know the stats but I'm sure he's in the consideration. Still trying to figure what the hell CP told him after the shot. Where are my lip readers? Lol

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Jalen and Fiz make great points with the switches. Although good, not the greatest. vlaurelio incoming, to defend everything imaginable about Harden.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not unreasonable.

You would have to look at the numbers, but certainly is possible.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"IMA GO DENVAH"

napalm06 likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's believable. He does a lot of iso 3s and is good at them which is a boost to the PPP. I think historically most guys who shoot a bunch of 3s do a lot of catch and shoot.

6. baubo

baubo Member

The answer is no in my mind from a capability standpoint. Harden benefits a lot from modern analytics and the value of 3s along with rules that benefit perimeter players. He also has wide open lanes to work with because the Rockets put out so many shooters on the floor.

Look at what Harden works with and what Hakeem worked with for most of his career. As well as how he operated when the Rockets gave him Horry/Elie/Drexler/Smith spacing back in 95. There are a lot of players in previous eras who just lacked the spacing and understanding of efficiency to really match todays players

rm365 likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

No he isn't and probably not even top 5 or top 10.

8. thekad

thekad Member

That's he's a gifted and willing passer puts him in the conversation. Just 1v1, no obviously not.

rm365 and RyanB like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who are your top 5 or top 10?

I don't want a random opinion. I want a rational opinion backed up by quantitative data such as PPP per ISO

Leggo

BigShasta and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

He's the best iso player in modern era. I think that argument can be made. He's pulled away from both Durant and Irving recently.

Best ever is still to come. So to be continued.

ghettocheeze and lionaire like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He has a good case if you're looking at it purely in terms of points per possessions (PPP). Harden is just so good at drawing fouls and hitting those step back 3s.

However, sometimes maximizing PPP isn't what you care about. What you care about is just putting some points on the board. In those cases, someone who excels at creating and hitting shots from midrange may be preferable because (a) you're not relying on the refs blowing a whistle, and (b) you're not relying on hitting a tough 3 which has a higher luck factor. That's why having both Chris Paul and James Harden on the floor to close games is such a huge advantage for us. We get the elite mid-range scoring, plus the elite foul-drawing and 3-point shooting.

Jake Tower and Air Langhi like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

People were making the argument KD was the best ISO player after beating Lebron last season. If Harden's surpassed KD, the who else can we be talking about here? I've never seen a guy that utiliizes iso plays better than James. Without looking at the stats, I'm 100% sure he's the most ISO used guy in NBA history. With that, he's probably the most efficient too. I'm leaning towards Morey being right here

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

He is definitely one of the 5-10 greatest isolation players of all time.

He is pretty firmly in the top 5.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Does this include playoffs?

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No body in their right mind would put Craig Elo on James Harden. I grew up watching Jordan, and Jordan was a better player because of his incredible motor and drive but he was not as good in ISO.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just here to say this looks like a perimeter ISO to me...

[​IMG]

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I wonder where AI and Kobe rank on this list, and how their perception rank differs from metrics-driven ranks. I'm guessing it might be vastly different and show that the general perception of ranking as an "isolation player" could be very different from metrics...and then it's up to people to decide if the metrics are telling the right story or not.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Everyone is getting it twisted. Morey wasn't make a statement of talent he was making a statement of fact. He is statistically the greatest ISO player ever.

ghettocheeze and Richie_Rich like this.