1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I was addressing DD's point on turnover (look at the Spurs they don't turn over their roster, chemistry etc etc) and yet he doesn't really answer the fact the Rockets got success and stayed pat... and then moves onto another rant.

The problem with the Rockets...hey look there is a donut on that table.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The history was already set, and they did have turnover - they left both TJones and DMO twisting in the RFA land instead of locking them down with an extension like GS and SA do.

This creates a "Gotta get mine to get paid" mentality in the locker room.

And no one will EVER convince me that keeping Brewer is a good move, EVER.

DD

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How many Matt Bonners and Manu Ginoblis do they have? Why are they plural? Why is Danny Green possessive?

BR

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Kawhi went into Free Agency. Diaw, and Ginobili also recently had to be re-signed in FA before they were extended. Who have they "locked up" early?

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

LOL!

That's not how you emulate it. You emulate the principles obviously, not the exact events haha. That's why they didn't lose a step when Robinson left, that's why they won't lose a step when Duncan leaves.

Budenholzer doesn't have the PF, the Euro or the french kid but his team plays good, modern basketball and they achieve more than the sum of their parts. Watch a Hawks game, even this season you'll see what I mean.

- Team before ANY player.
    - The ball is faster than every player in the world.
    - Defense as a team.
    - Offense as a team, even when you don't have the ball.
    - Your defensive strategy should be based on what teams are doing NOW.
    - Your offensive strategy should be ahead of what teams have learned to defend.
    - Work on your shot mechanics, defensive positioning and fitness always.
    - Do not ever take a contested shot unless it's late in the clock.
    - No one player holds the ball the for a long time.
    - Owner, coach and GM should agree on everything.
    - Don't tinker constantly.
    - Search for smart players, athleticism is a bonus.
    - Don't follow the media. Don't read the news. Don't give a **** about streaks.
    - There are no seasons or games or quarter, there are only possessions and the goal is to win every possession, and be ready for the next one ASAP.
    - If you break these rules, bye bye, no matter who you are. Even the greatest PF of all time has to abide by these rules, never mind last season's one time almost MVP.

1 person likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Lol. Why would you assume they wanted to keep Brewer? Sometimes moves can't be made.

God you're such a little girl when you get so emotionally attached, you lose all logic.

7. DaDakota

Look dumbassatron, they RE-SIGNED Brewer in the offseason for 8 million even though everyone with a brain was like...WTF????

DD

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Not everyone thought it was a bad contract. Bima, resident capologist, thought it was a good contract.

9. DaDakota

I like Bima - but I don't give a crap about the contracts and numbers, I just want the best players to stay and play on my team.

Contracts, analytics....bah - just give me GOOD OLD FASHIONED TEAM basketball..

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not want to say I told you so but clearly not everyone is on the same page

and I am not talking about the players .......

11. malakas

malakas Member

What about asking Brew to opt out he having the usual contract year perfomance that most players try to have, to cash in,after a carreer of being a certified scrub, and then Morey resigning him in a much worse contract?

12. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://grantland.com/features/analyzing-kawhi-leonard-george-hill-trade-2013-conference-finals/

I just want to point out that the Spurs traded away a very nice young player (George Hill) that was due an extension for the 15th pick in the draft, which ended up being Kawhi Leonard.

They also let a 24 year old Stephen Jackson walk via free agency in 2003 when they lowballed him with a 3 year, $10 million a year contract offer. He was their 3rd leading scorer on their championship team. They might have added a few more championships to their collection if they had kept Stephen Jackson to their core (it would have been a great value contract at that).

Keeping a core of nice young, role players is great. But it just doesn't happen all the time. D-Mo might be George Hill or he might be Stephen Jackson. It's tough to say. But when there is uncertainty with who your core should be (Harden and whomever is not the same core as Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili), it's probably best to maintain a certain level of flexibility.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be ridiculous...

#2153 RudyTBag, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The spurs are all about contracts and analytics and flipping.

They kept their stars and moved everyone around them

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

See: Ezili comma Festus and Barnes comma Harrison.

Then, make your point more to the point. Mebbe the Rox sign them both this July and then the W's________ ?

Brew is neither the question nor the answer. Brew is what Brew is.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

See how bad a contract Brew has effective 15 or so July 2016. Offer him in trade and teams will pounce.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Hawks have played beautiful basketball since the Pop Tree dropped a gorgeous apple into the A-T-L. Now, this year, not so beautiful. Not so successful. Not deemed (by all the cognoscenti) as much greater a spring threat than our infamous local heroes.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Plus they have a HALL OF FAME head coach. They don't lock down chronically injured players and they have their leadership bases covered on the bench. You got to have strong leadership either via veteran locker room or on the bench and the Spurs have both.

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

A hall of fame head coach that the Spurs were going to fire midway during that first championship run, if they lost to Houston that game. But they pulled it out and kept pops. Let's all not forget that fact, though, most don't follow basketball religiously and just spew half facts.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pop is the real GM of the Spurs. If they're trading a guy. It's Pop making the call, not Buford.