1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He called in at about 5 AM Pacific Time

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Its his big time of the year, he probably has been getting less sleep than parents of newborn babies.

Morey probably been slurping down Monsters or tons of coffee and popping nodoze like candy.

3. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Never Trust Morey. He's a liar.

Still remember he said how great Robinson is and start trading him next day.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What do you think he's going to say? It doesn't help anyone for him to publically declare them available before Dwight has signed here. He could be telling the truth or he could be giving GM speak but that's the only answer Id expect from him.

I do like that he seems confident LA won't do a sign and trade. That narrows the field.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thanks JR!

I was about to update the first post because I got the BS comment mixed up. I'll copy pasta yours and source you.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say a lie is to be expected if the team is shopping a player, but it all depends on if the team is shopping a player. I will say there is a difference in due diligence and shopping a player. I completely expect Morey to do due diligence on every player with the exception of Harden.

You never know when another team significantly values one of your players more than you do. For instance, let's assume Morey values TRob which is why he traded for him. Let's assume Morey values Dwight Howard more than TRob. The value of cap space becomes much more valuable than the value of TRob. Morey is more willing to trade TRob because it will help them get Dwight. He trades TRob for 2 unsigned 2nd rd picks and 2 future 2nd round picks. Not every GM is as open about what they are working on so it is imerative that Morey do his due diligence.

BTW, I think Morey is either lying or depending heavily on sematics.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lol what? He only did the trade to try and get Howard. He didnt change his opinion on Robinson as a player.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Given the choice between a random "source" and Morey in this interview, I go with Morey on this point. If Morey says Dwight did not mention any specific player being targeted, then he probably did not bring up signing another "star".

Its one thing to lie about if you have listened to offers for your players, its quite another to lie about this...what purpose would it serve? Lying to the media about what was said in the meeting would get back to Howard....and how would that look to have Morey making up stuff about what Dwight supposedly said?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Come on guys- Even Danny Ainge of all people publicly claimed that they are "NOT" shopping Rajon Rondo the other day on a radio interview.

Would playing poker make sense if everyone could see the hand you had every time the cards were dealt?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just to touch on this, you guys are making too much of that. He likes Trob. Go listen to the interview and the one thing he points out is that if we don't get Dwight it's going to hurt him that he gave up Robinson. He likes the player but had no choice. He had to move him.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I am a huge Morey supporter and realize he's dealing with a different time of Rockets basketball but this is my biggest concern with his GM style. What player relationships has Morey built? Long term I feel it could be a negative.

12. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I think you're right. There's a time to play fantasy basketball and a time to be a stand up GM.

13. acolchado

acolchado New Member

At this point you really can't believe all that being said by anyone until someone signs a contract. But I am very confident that the Rockets will sign Dwight and we might see, at least, Lin go.

14. dream1222

dream1222 Member

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He said we wouldn't get Howard without trading one of them, which isn't true. I corrected his statement to a more accurate one.

Real possibility we have all 3. I don't think it is a given we trade one of them, even though I'd trade Asik for sure.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

sorta looks like the nixed scola/kevin martin situation if he said "yeah im tryna trade em ill see what happens" the only difference was the trade was done. Morey aint gonna say CRAP until woj reports it. ;)

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

?????? He's just doing what he can to get Dwight. Dwight Howard. I'm sure he thinks Trob can be a good player, but it was the easiest option to trade him for the capspace.

18. three

three Member

This seems to be the most likely scenario.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Right and if we want a third star or semi star like Smith well we like Lin and Asik but had no choice had to move them. Obviously Morey isn't going to point blank say we're shopping them but of course they are.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

so Morey is confident we will get Howard
    but he isn't going after a 3rd max player like Howard wants
    he isn't looking to trade Asik and Lin
    we can't get a 3rd max player unless we trade them
    so ... i don't know ...