1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Daryl Morey, Dork Elvis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Mar 24, 2009.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

we could certainly try it. if you want to use tonight's game vs. utah as a test case i'd be happy to help.

if we can round up a few people and figure out what responsibilities everyone should have, i will help crunch the data tonight/tomorrow as well.

the most important aspect of making this useful will be using standard descriptors for everything so we can pivot and filter the resulting data. people should prolly input data to excel in a standard format for it to be easiest to convert into a database

maybe we need a thread for this?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Man ... I'm busy this week. Give me something easy to track, and I'll do my best. :D

3. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

How about flops, we're playing Utah. You won't even need to count. Just add up the number of touches Yao had + (3/4)*(Houston's fouls) + 10(aka the kirilenko offset).

4. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

brilliant idea. although your formula is too complex. try this one:

utah flops = (houston possessions)*(number of times the ball enters the paint per possession)

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i'll have to spend some time figuring out what would be worth tracking outside of the stuff available through the play by play first.

fouls would be a good one, especially vs. utah.

maybe something like this in an excel sheet?

qtr game clock player fouling player fouled foul type assisted shot player assisting shooting and 1 team foul count in qtr ftm fta
    1 3:05 harpring yao push yes battier yes no 1 2 2
    1 4:14 okur wafer block no yes yes 2 0 1
    1 4:48 kirilenko brooks crying no no no 3 0 0
    1 5:52 boozer yao elbow yes brooks yes yes 4 1 2
    1 7:40 boozer scola block no no no 5 2 2

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

yeah, that would be interesting. You should make a thread to get some more input on things that people would be interested in seeing. Also i'm sure that's a better way of getting volunteers.

7. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i'll prolly try to do this utah game myself so i can get a feel for what its like before trying to recruit anyone else. that way i can have a better idea how many people it might take and what kinds of things we'll be able to do.

the play by play results will be a huge help as well. if only there were a way to get them in excel easily.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Stats tracking takes a lots of time committment and can be rather tedious work. Probably will have to watch tape of a game and rewind constantly to get everything that's going on.

Check out what Van Gundy looked like after too many late nights watching game tapes.... you sure you want to volunteer for this?

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the top shotblockers in history all tend to keep the ball in play. Hakeem/Deke both had pretty high in-play%. If you really are a shot-blocker, I really doubt you need to send it to the 10th row to make a statement.

10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah that was a good one. Here's the full quote:

"After watching Anderson Varejao throttle the Clips with his low-post D recently, I e-mailed Daryl, wondering why there wasn't a stat called stops, for when a defender prevents his opponent from scoring on an isolation play, or a low-post or perimeter play. Come up with an unforced turnover in the process, and it's a "superstop." Daryl's response: "Why do you think we have Chuck Hayes?"

In other words, "We are years ahead of you on this one, Simmons.""

11. YaoDreaming

YaoDreaming Member

That sounds interesting.I like to be part of this.

12. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I concur.

13. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

I've been paying a lot of attention to Simmons the past month or so and the more I read/listen to him, the more I like him.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I believe this is something Olajuwon said once - that as he got older he learned to keep the ball in play because that was to his team's advantage. Instead of saying "swat, but you get another shot" he ends up saying "swat, I'm giving us a shot to get the ball back" by tapping it in-bounds. At least I believe he stated that.

Here's a quote from Todd MacCulloch regarding Shaq's blocks :

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jun/09/news/ss-8456
    ----------------------