1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I absolutely would've preferred to only give up Anderson for Melo and I was dead set against moving Ariza or Gordon for him. I'm also aware the Warriors give McGee and Zaza about 20-25 minutes of run combined, and during that time Capela will be highly useful. I also agree with you that it would be nice to have both a Clint type player and a Melo type player vs Golden State. I'm just of the opinion that it's harder to find the guy like Melo that successfully allows you to go small or big than it is to replace what Capela brings to the table. That's why if push came to shove, he's the one rotation piece I was comfortable with dealing if it had to happen.

Salvy likes this.
  2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It was absolutely the right move. Trading any combo of Gordon, Capela or Ariza for a one year rental of Melo would have set this franchise back in the long run.

Thunder have a one year window now, and with three ball dominant players.

3. DVauthrin

It's not about the number of shots he takes. It's about making sure when he gets the ball on the perimeter that he can't find his way into the lane and force help to come, leaving their shooters open. Or making sure a big man stays attached to him on the perimeter, because they aren't used to having to guard for extended stretches away from the basket.

4. DVauthrin

Because the Warriors have plenty of good individual defenders to put on paul and harden, Green doesn't have to switch off Clint on the PnR. So yes, I think he can prevent Clint from turning the game into lob city.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

How many people here would've wanted to give up Ariza and Gordon for Melo?

6. DVauthrin

Oladipo is only 24 and played his college ball at Indiana. Sabonis was highly thought of coming out of Gonzaga and his dad was a great international player.

7. DVauthrin

Now, while I disagree with you about the importance of a great center in today's NBA, I do agree that Capela has the athletic ability to be the Rockets what Thompson was to the Cavs in 2015. If he can do that, then Morey was right to not deal him.

#147 DVauthrin, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    RudyTBag likes this.
  8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Sometimes you overpay to secure something. We're basically handicapped now.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not me. Two starting quality players for one. Nope.

Eric Gordon right now is a borderline all-star, better than Melo right now.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo wasn't worth that overpayment tho

Just how good do u think Melo is right now?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ariza and Gordon for Melo is a deal that would have been a net negative move for the Rockets. It's good that they didn't fall for that BS just to get a bit of an upgrade over Ryan Anderson.

Snow Villiers, Vivi and Tha_Dude like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Carmelo is not a third star man. He just isn't.

Gordon is better than him right now. Capela's value will likely be super high at the trade deadline, Rockets can make their decision then.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo is an upgrade over Ryno, but he's not so good that u could lose much more than Ryno from the rotation and still improve the team in a meaningful way

The Knicks were asking for both Ariza and Gordon to be included in a deal. Hell no. Capela? Hell no.

U can blame Morey for not keeping things like Dekker or the 2018 pick to add to a deal to make taking on Ryno's contract more appealing, but u can't blame him for not wanting to lose multiple rotation players for Melo. Melo got traded for Kanter, McDermott, and a 2nd round pick. That's straight up garbage. The Cavs were offering up garbage too. The Clippers did not want to do a deal of Austin Rivers, Paul Pierce, and Crawford for Melo. U can clearly see what teams thought of him.

14. hakeemthagreat

Yes he is, stop it. Melo is unstoppable and can score mulitiple ways. I just dont think he's played in a system that compliments his skillset. Gordon better than Melo? Thats pure homerism

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

How you been buddy?!? Haven't visited the Texans forum in awhile. Scared for tomorrow. :eek:

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Enough to not let OKC get him, be 2nd best team, and a very attractive destination next off season.

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I wasn't against trading Capela, especially for George. However, if he went in NY trade I would have wanted at least O'Quinn back in the deal. With Nene's age we need solid back-ups. Getting Black helps, but only for limited time frames and minutes.

18. valorita

valorita Member

Sometimes it is harder to not overpay for something you want than wait for a better item/deal.

Too bad we didn't practice that ethos with Ryno's contract. Literally one year less or as a team option may have been enough.

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We can out shoot the thunder and spurs in a series...too many shooters
    Paul can bust all day
    Gordon is up there with the splash Bros
    Harden can take over a game
    We need constant Haymakers from Ariza, and Anderson...

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm good though UH lost. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure I'll even watch the bloodbath that will be the Texans-Patriots game.

Snow Villiers likes this.