1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey: Apology Accepted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

Come on guy, let's keep it in perspective.
    Although I like this move (if other moves are forthcoming), the truth is Morey went from:
    Carmelo Anthony (franchise player)
    to
    Pau Gasol (proven all-star & potential HOF)
    to
    Dwight Howard (franchise player)
    to
    giving the max to James Harden (sixth-man & potential all-star)

and you're celebrating this as his masterstroke???
    Can someone say...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3flv5nWZgII?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

It's all about the future. Taking Howard out of the equation, you can't seriously think its a downgrade going from:
    crybaby Melo ->

old man Gasol (who didn't want to play here) ->

James Harden (who just barely turned 23 ffs)

2 people like this.
  3. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Clearly the picks proved to be worthless. Of course the Charlotte pick isn't more valuable than a late first rounder, especially to a team clearly concerned about their finances like OKC.

Moron. Without the Lowry trade, this trade doesn't go down. Trading for the 1st, good. Trading first for for Harden, good. One doesn't negate the other.

Maybe you better schedule an appointment with a neurologist.

1 person likes this.
  4. 34to11

34to11 Member

My post really wasn't as much about the move and the talent level [as I said, I like the move], as it was about the impending "Morey is a genius" avalanche that is sure to follow.
    Morey has done a masterful job of lowering most of the fan-base's expectations.

BTW: Despite his obvious issues, Melo is still a much bigger cornerstone than Harden. Surely you don't dispute that?

5. TheGM

I'd honestly rather take my chances with Harden as a question mark than Melo as the answer.

6. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Not going to touch the whole Morey debate, just that as a fan I try to understand why he makes his moves, whether I like them or not.

But yeah at this point in his career, i'll take a chance on Harden solely on the fact that he's helped bring his team to the finals and so far looks to have good character, and he's young as opposed to Melo who..well his track record speaks for itself.

7. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Melo has better character than Dwight Howard, but Morey wanted Howard so the lackeys in here all changed their tunes. Please try to actually have a take, not just wake up and ask Morey what he wants you to say.

8. TheGM

Dwight Howard>>Melo in every way. Regardless of anything Morey did or didn't do.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

It's the first all-star that any GM outside of the big market teams in NY, LA (& Miami) could get. And a 23-yr old all-star, with a year left on his contract, going to get locked up for the next 5-6 years for the prime of his career.

A guy that was +7 or +8 for OKC when on the court vs off, and a guy who averaged 29points/36min when Russell Westbrook was off the floor (and people said he needed both Westbrook and Durant to play well). And no injury history. A guy who is top 5 in offense in many categories, like eFG and PnR offense, and at least average on defense (better than Lamb/Martin for sure). It's a guy you take a chance giving a max to, not Gay or Eric Gordon.

Onto Morey ...

What Morey basically said was he'd assemble the players/assets that he felt could land us an all-star, but things have to go right for it to happen. Bosh already decided on Miami with LBJ & Wade. Carmelo already NYK. Passed on Amare on health concerns (fortunately), Gasol (+Nene) was vetoed, Orlando GM passed up this trade (deal probably included another draft pick or rookie player) for Aaron Affalo. Those are not Morey's fault.

Now that Morey did it, and basically rebuilt the Rockets team around 3 guys that are difficult to get, at difficult positions to fill, all in one year. Harden as comfortably NBA's top 5 SG right now, and arguably the #1 SG that you'd want to give a max contract to now to play for you the next 4-5 years (vs ageing Kobe, Wade, Johnson, Manu, or more one dimensional players like AI, Martin, Gordon, M Ellis). Jeremy Lin is a top 10-20 PG right now, on a fair $8M/yr contract for 3 years (but could develop into an all-star), and Asik should prove himself a top 5 defensive C this year and probably top 10-15 C this year, also on $8M/yr. Chandler is the ideal 3 man, as he can play 2-4, guard the opposing team's best swing man, and still give you solid corner 3pt shooting (aka a Bruce Bowen) and playmaking skills. There is no glaring weakness there.

What's crazy about Lin/Harden/Parsons trios is you have one of the league's best iso players at PG (and top quartile PnR player also), one of its best PnR players at SG, and one of its best 2-3 defenders with height & agility in Parsons, and neither of them are liabilities on the other end (Lin/Harden on D, and Parson on O). All three should should 36-40% on 3pt shots in their career. Lin/Harden shoot a high percentage at the rim and also on 2pg FGs, and between them are 12 FTs per game at >80%. Plus Asik on D and his passing. And Harden/Parsons should be above average on statistical categories like assists/rebounds, and like Lin, are unselfish players.

If the Rockets could trade for a PF that demands a double team, and generate offense inside-out and has range to 18ft (the guy is LMA, but Portland will have to want to rebuild around Lillard and like our collection of PFs), and they've still got a max contract up their sleeve next year with role players currently deep into their 15th man rotation, they could serious contend in a couple of years. Or alternatives, DMo/TJ will need to develop.

AND ... for some, DM has still not done enough ... Harden is not worth a max (right ... Eric Gordon & Rudy Gay are max players), or we gave up too much (people were wondering if we could even get a late 1st for KMart 1 month ago), should've have got Lin at the expense of Lowry/Dragic (when Dragic left Rockets, not the other way around, and Lowry was disgruntled and the key piece to getting a lottery pick.

I mean, if the roster now, with everyone of importance/potential aged 26 and below, and the list runs 10 deep - Lin, Harden, DMo, TJ, PPat, Morris, Machado, Parsons, White & Greg Smith), and cap room for another max player, how can we not be pumped!!!

3 people like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden getting the max> Melo, Gay, Eric Gordon, Joe Johnson, Amare, Brook Lopez getting the max.

Some of the posters here are delusional and have no idea what players are worth. The same guys who keep blabbering about the Gay/Battier trade are probably the same ones who don't like this signing. We're not getting a once a generation player like Lebron, Durant, CP3 or Dwight in the team, someone like Harden is the best we can hope for.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO DH is a 20-20 beast and is the best center in the league. For all his faults he's never done anything wrong inside the court, which is all that matters to fans. He's also the only guy apart from LBJ who took a horrible team to the Finals in recent memory.

Melo is a whining, sucker-punching b**** who doesn't play D, can't hit 3s and doesn't know how to score outside of an ISO. If you want to talk character then he appeared in "Don't snitch" videos and got negative publicity in his Denver team. Despite playing on a powerhouse team that featured Chauncey Billups and 3 good PFs/Cs, he's never made the NBA finals. I dunno how you can even compare the two, and I certainly don't need Morey to tell me there's a wide gap between those two guys, like the gap between Ariza and Lebron.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

In which all-star game did Harden play?

:confused:

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

Like I said, Lowered Expectations!

Morey is a magician.:cool:

14. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I don't know why some are saying we should have done this deal for Howard. I'm not sure this trade will work out the way Morey is expecting it to, but I for one will take Harden for AT LEAST 4 years over Howard for a rental. Who knows if this will be the move that gets us back toward contending for championships, but we all wanted change the past couple years.....now we have it!! After all is said and done, we will all still be at Toyota Center, or our local bar, or in front of a TV supporting the crap out of whoever is on a basketball court wearing a Rockets jersey. Finally have some cold weather, and it's going to be a great day, let's enjoy life. This post sounded way too happy, I'm kind of nauseous lol

15. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Lol whatever you want to call it, i'm just happy and pumped about the trade. If it's the work of Morey's magic wand then so be it, better than being that unhappy guy in the corner telling everyone they're being manipulated by a GM lolz.

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

The thing is morey isn't done and we have room for another max player in the offseason. Harden fits with our young group of guys and will be able to grow together. People who critize the trade needs to wait a couple years for the plan to really fall in place.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am not a hater. I like Harden too,but he is not a max guy. A max guy,is a franchise player.He isn't one.

18. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

lowerd frum wut I thought wuz a good forum............way to many rtards talkin bout dis trade aint good.........harden>gasol

19. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

The thing is, how do you know he's not a franchise player? He didn't exactly have the chance to be the alpha dog in OKC, but that doesn't mean he can't become one eventually. And max contracts are given to guys with even lesser pedigree than Harden(Joe Johnson), sometimes you just gotta take a chance.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2013, my future self hopefully says. :grin:

Harden is an elite player that is young. He may never be in the top dog circle of players. He is definitely not far below. Harden is not the final piece, but getting him is a great move especially since he will be locked up for a while.

I don't see being happy about acquiring Harden as a bad thing. Expecting every move to be Howard is a bad measuring stick.