1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darko Milivic and Yao Ming

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SLA, May 22, 2003.

1. SLA

SLA Member

I really don't know much about Darko except that he is not your typical European basketball player...

Does anyone know if he is as good as Yao Ming?

Or is he better than Yao Ming?

Also...how do you pronounce Milivic?

He seems like a nice guy..

#1 SLA, May 22, 2003
    Last edited: May 22, 2003
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I hadn't heard his name anywhere but here until tonight's lotto.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

4. dn1282

dn1282 Member

It's easier to pronounce if you spell it right. It's Milicic...and pronounced like "Milisich".

5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Not quite it is pronounced MILL-eh-check.

6. D-Up

D-Up Member

Interesting that Milicic compares his game to KG AND would rather not play with Yao.

Says their games are too similar, yet he wants to play for the Kings.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't think that is correct. I believe both c's are pronounced like the "ch" sound in English...like tom-JON-ah-vich....only in the case...MILL-eh-chich.

Names that end in a "check" sound are spelled like Havlicek or Giricek.

#7 GATER, May 22, 2003
    Last edited: May 22, 2003
  8. SLA

SLA Member

lol!

ironic hippocritical.....?

Well anyways.

So Yao is better right?

9. tozai

tozai Member

1. He is a typical Euro basketball player. I'm thinking he's like Skeeta.
    2. Of course he's not as good as Yao. Who knows who will be better, but I'd put my money on Yao.

10. lalala902102001

From what I heard, Milicic seems to be a very skilled player and has had some experience playing in Europe. He'll definitely be better than Tskitishvilli in his first season, but I don't think he'll be as good as Yao was.

11. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

imo, yao is the second best pure center in the league next to shaq (of course i didnt consider tim duncan coz he plays pf). and milicic is a good player, but he wouldnt match yao.

id rather see him in a dif team so that yao would have more competition. it would be great seeing those two great int players bangin for position. it would be a great rivalry between the two.

#11 couch_pot8o, May 23, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2003
  12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Gater, trust me it is MILL-eh-check. That is how is was on ESPN and NBAdraft.net. Anyway if Giricek ends with "check" and it is spell icek, that is the same thing as icic. Anyway Giricek is from a different country than Darko, so spelling can be different but say the same thing.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Giricek is Croation and so am I. All of the languages in that region are Slavic based and have the same basic pronounciations. That is the reason for the "ch" sound in Divac and Stojakovic and for the hard "c" sound in Nachbar (like "nockbar") even though he is Czech. Darko is Serbian like Vlade and trust me - ESPN and draft.net are wrong.

What you were hearing was the media butchering the pronounciation. If you don't think the media butchers names, you don't have to look any further than the way Barkley and others screw up the German name "Novitski" even though it is spelled with a "w".

#13 GATER, May 23, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2003
  14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Gater is correct. I don't even understand why you are arguing - you are basing your information on what you heard or saw on ESPN where unfamiliar names are continously mispronounced. I have lived in Europe enough to know that it is "chich" not "check".

Another mispronounced name is Dirk Nowitzki. Many (if not all) ESPN and TNT annoucers pronounce it as noWITzki - but rather it is no-VITS-ki.

15. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Two Europeans vs one American, I guess you two would know better than I would. So you are saying it is MILL-eh-Chich? With the end sounding like chick as in chicken?

16. Ryoga Hibiki

Ryoga Hibiki Member

As far as I've heard on serbian television they pronounce it "Mee-lee-cheech", and I trust them much more than Barkley or others on ESPN or TNT.
    Actually, US media are well know for their total inability of pronouncing correctly foreing names, they way they say "Turkoglu" is hilarious, and I wish I heard someone pronouncing Tskitishvili... :D