1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Danuel House: The most important Rocket that not enough people know about

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 11, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your post is way more terrible man 0 arguments and just insults and personal attacks.

jcf likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Do you have historical data to back up that seeding doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure there's strong evidence that prove otherwise over the 70+ years of the NBA's existence. There's a reason why Denver pulled a b**** move last year to avoid us or GS in the playoffs for as long as they could by dropping that late season game to Portland so the Blazers ended up as the 3rd seed and dropping us back to the 4th seed. That's just one recent example of how seedings matter.

No it's not when you take into account a few factors:

1. Toronto probably would have been the 1st seed in the East if Leonard had played more games considering the fact that they were only TWO games behind the Bucks in the standings

2. The Bucks team they beat couldn't overcome the move (adding Gasol) and scheme (loading the paint) that Toronto deployed against their best player who, and I'm assuming you'll agree, was overrated to begin with.

3. The Warriors team they beat didn't have their best player on the court and when he was on the court he blew out his Achilles. Then their 3rd best player blew out his ACL. If you believe that a fully healthy Warriors team would have lost to the Raptors then I guess that's where I'll stop responding because you're living in a fantasy world.

Bottom line is that your general hot take that seedings don't matter is false. Is it on an end-all-be-all level? No but they do matter. It's okay to be wrong at times with hot takes.

YOLO and Red Chocolate like this.
  3. wesbound

wesbound Member

House has been our most consistent guy & the dude has been nothing but greatness for us.
    Doing all the dirty work by getting back to D & sacrificing his body left and right... There were some bad falls in the past few games that got me off my seat but so glad he was okay.

hakeem94, Red Chocolate and vlaurelio like this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just because the home team or 1 seed doesn't win 100% of the time doesn't mean it's not an advantage. It is a very clear advantage. We have loads of evidence to prove it across all sports. It's not really debatable. And there's a lot more to it than the psychological advantage of the fans.

manlisten, YOLO, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a shame those kids were forced to wear ugly ass jerseys.

6. DuhWight Power

DuhWight Power New Member

I was sitting on the first row directly behind the Rockets’ bench last night with my two boys. Danuel really went down hard on that play where he got undercut taking the ball to the rim! The trainers were working on him a lot, a lot of back and core stretches and hip movements. Right before they shut him down for the night, he was telling the trainers that his back really felt “stiff”. Take it for what it’s worth...

SamFisher, Vivi and TRIQSTER like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes we did!

:)

DD

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

People just mistake causation with correlation the top seed is most often the more talented team which is why it seems seeding matters. That's the "evidence" you are talking about right, the top seed winning majority of the time?

In a lot of the cases though the seeds are just decided by a couple of games that could have gone either way like Houston could have been 2nd seed or 4rth seed depending on if they won a game vs Bucks. It's an arbitrary thing which didnt really affect the talent composition or makeup of the team heading into the playoffs. Denver pulling b**** moves didn't make a difference or doesnt prove seedings matter, it's just their belief. If the Rox won that Bucks game they are 2nd seed if they lost they are 4rth seed. Was there any drastic difference in the team or opponent composition either way? Did Harden get weaker and slower because he is now 4rth seed vs 2nd? Lol!

Your post 1-3 answers your own argument why seedings don't matter, other factors are more important like health and overall talent of the team. NBA format is best of 7, that ensures the best team almost always wins regardless what the seeding happens to be. You could make the 8th seed the first seed right before the playoffs start guess what the original1st seed would almost always stomp the 8th seed because in the playoff format the better team almost always wins regardless who has more home or away games.

That's why Kawhi is Mr. Rest these days, he knows seedings doesnt matter. They could be 1st seed they could be 4rth seed, whatever as long as he is fresh in the playoff then that's what matters.

#48 roslolian, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize if your team loses the first game there goes your "advantage" right? How d hell is that a clear advantage when you lose it the moment you lose a game? It's a psychological advantage that doesnt really impact anything because at the end of the day you still need to go through everyone else in a best of 7. You can go ahead trying to get the 1st over all seed or you just try to win the 1st game, that results in the same "advantage" or whatever.

The whole "all sports" argument is dumb because different sports have different playoff formats. If you have march madness style where 1 game and you are out ok seedings matter. But in the NBA with a best of 7 who cares who has the higher seed like I said 1 game loss and you lose whatever advantage you worked for the entire season. That's like saying the first game is the most important game in a best of 7 just because teams who get the first win have won historically when in reality each game is equally important it's a best of 7.

It's just a case of correlation and causation you just see a trend of higher seeds winning because the higher seed tend to be the better team. But they win because they are the better team not because they managed to get the higher seed. The higher seed itself is worthless and has no meaning cuz like I said it vanishes like thin air the moment you lose the first game.

#49 roslolian, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  10. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I'm not really sure what point you think you're making with this whole "losing the first game takes away your home field advantage" thing. You're asking how can a team be at an advantage, and then have their advantage removed after they lose a game? It's pretty simple, they lost the advantage by losing the game.

This has nothing to do with correlation and causation. This also has nothing to do with a trend of higher seeds winning. Nobody is saying that. This has to do with home field advantage, which is undeniably a real thing. If you are playing a series, having more home games than the other team is an advantage.

YOLO, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course it has everything to do with correlation and causation. You guys are saying there are lots of "evidence" of seed advantage but the evidence you have is just the trend of higher seed winning. That's not evidence the higher seed is what caused them to win as much as the higher seed is just an indication who is the better team.

My point is if the "advantage" is gone after just 1 game then its not really a great advantage. You work for it all season long, play hard for 82 games and 1 loss is all it takes to give that "advantage" to your opponent. In that case your opponent is better off not bothering with seeding and focusing on winning the first game instead.

Like I said home games is just a psychological advantage to some players, it's not a real advantage cuz for some players it makes 0 difference. Like if a dude is getting a free throw and the crowd makes noise how much does the crowd noise make the ft miss? A lot of players will say they make their fts at the same rate regardless of how much noise the crowd makes.

How many players are like Anderson who show extreme splits between home and away games? For most players who perform the same on average then whatever advantage seeding has is questionable especially if it lasts all of one game.

12. harold bingo

Supporting Member

The evidence is for the home field advantage. Once you realize that home field advantage is real, then it is trivial to see that seed is an advantage, because it means you have more home games. In addition to that, as you mentioned yourself, another obvious advantage to seeding is that you get to play weaker competition throughout the earlier rounds of the playoffs. Having a better chance of being the better team is an advantage.

Okay, if that's the way you want to look at it that's fine. I disagree. Just because it gets wiped out by losing the first game doesn't mean it's not great and not significant. Also, focusing on winning game 1 has nothing to do with how hard you played in the regular season. It's not like playing for seeding means you're less focused on game 1. I don't think those are related.

Last year 28 out of 30 teams had a better record for home games than away games. Every year in the NBA the home win percentage is about 15% higher than the away win percentage. That is not a "questionable" advantage.

manlisten, YOLO and Red Chocolate like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok it seems you think all of this are separate things, then I guess we will never see eye to eye on this. You think a team has no issue playing hard all 82 games and then still playing hard for that 1st game, so whatever advantage if there is any helps, right? I guess that's the MDA logic, win at all cost in the regular season cuz that helps in the playoffs, I guess you are with MDA in the "Seed Gang". I'm more on Kawhi and Popovich side, I'm part of the "Team Rest" group and I think all this regular season stuff is pointless and just practice, as long as you reach the playoffs then it's all good. If you notice, Popovich and Phil Jackson don't particularly care about seeding Popovich started the Rest movement even if it results in losses while Phil Jackson would regularly let his role players win or lose games in the regular season.

Let's just see what happens to the Rockets this year and see if whatever their seeding has an impact on whether they win a ring or not.

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Doesn't House have at least a 7'2" wingspan like Draymond? If he got his foot pressure/balance right to prevent injuries he could hustle better defensively? He is a physical marvel.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  15. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Come on man, don't do that. This isn't about load management and resting your stars. I never said that seeding is the most important thing, or the only important thing. I'm actually with you on this, resting/load management is very important because it gives you an advantage. But so is seeding. This is about you trying to argue that seeding doesn't matter, and home field advantage isn't real. I'm telling you that it does matter, it is real, and I promise you Popovich and Phil Jackson would agree. Just because rest is important doesn't mean seeding is not also important.

16. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

If two teams are equal on a neutral court, they will be approximately 3 point favorites at home, and 3 point underdogs on the road. A 6 point swing in a potential game 7 is quite significant. If you disagree with this, there is plenty of money to be made by betting on road NBA teams.

17. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

This dude needs to step it up, he had 2 rebounds? Where's the passion? Hopefully that spat with Harden will lite a fire in his a$$

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  18. Chamillionaire

It's not that he doesn't play hard. It's just that his role is to defend and spot up for 3s. He doesn't have elite handling nor shooting so it is what it is IMO. What you see is what you get. If he had an elite skill, he would have been on another roster before making it on ours. He's fine as the 4th 5th option because he can defend decently and is athletic enough to compete.

His production definitely leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not forget who he is.

Invisible Fan and D-rock like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nope lol House has a 6'8 wingspan, he has a large upper body and thin legs which makes him look stronger then he is.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

House is 6'6 with 6'8 wingspan.