1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House is playing a dangerous game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know why he isn't playing. I wish a member of the press would ask Morey this question. Is he being punished for not signing the contract? Are the Rockets planning to bring him back, but don't want him to get injured playing G-league games? Seems odd. Hartenstein plays. Clark plays. Vince Edwards plays. House does not play.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It could be as simple as him choosing NOT to play as protest. His agent did just recently call Morey petty.

3. SemisolidSnake

Morey knows how to make the house lose.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Draft pedigree is out the window once you have 50 games in the NBA, most of them on a team playing at a contender level. Not to mention he essentially has recommendations (via sound bites) from Kerr and MDA, two of the best coaches in the league.

Some smart GM will snatch him up for the minimum, then they will give him more a year later. He is nothing special, but he is worth more than that. He is worth more than the worst salary and the worst contract in the NBA. 3 years at the minimum is only worse than 4 years in the NBA. There is literally no worse offer.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

House wasn't a beggar. He got cut from the champions, and he was picked up by last season's second best team. He is clearly betting on himself.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok, if that's what you believe, cool. That's not what the numbers suggest. If he was open, then when he stops being open it's more space for James Harden. Win-win. His effort was excellent, he meshed well with the team, we were able to win while starting him and whatever he did was better than him underperforming or us losing.

fckbandwagons and DaDakota like this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Could be, and I would be happy if we get him as insurance at that point, but I still feel like we can use him right now since Matthews signed with the Pacers.

8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

He has corns on his feet... not even joking lmao

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. StrawberryJamm

Just fire your agent and blame it on him to save face. Sign a non guaranteed 3 year deal, don't bet on yourself, bet on Tilman Fertitta releasing you early to pay his mortgage.

seemoreroyals and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. JHL85

JHL85 Member

Don't think other GM can snatch him, since he will be a RFA after this season (meaning Rockets can match)

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Again, that's a win-win.

But which one is a bigger win for us:

1) Shelving him for good, his career is over, we don't get him on the floor; or,
    2) We sign a good backup for the minimum the rest of the season AND he's an RFA in the summer.

We don't gain a thing for #1. I'm not an accountant, lawyer or agent. I'm a fan. To me, this is some BS. Even if he is likely to lose more in this stalemate, we are losing something just to avoid paying him the minimum now and the right to match anything in the summer. As a fan who doesn't care about organizational pride issues, I can't accept that.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Damn! He's been out almost a month. Corns must be brutal. My heart goes out to him.

snowconeman22 and joshuaao like this.
  13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Only argument for 2 is that it sets a precedent for future 2-way players. Let’s them know we don’t f around and expect them to commit to us long-term.

(Not a fan of this because it's a bad look for the org and costs us a rotation piece)

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't buy that one either tbh, take each negotiating individually and pay players what they're worth on the court. Taking a standard approach to every single prospect ever is bound to cause this kind of whacky situation.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Of course House is screwing himself. He has no leverage but id making demands.
    This is what some of us were saying at the outset - he should take 4.2mill over 3 years. It is far bigger than earning 77k per year as a 2 way guy....

He simply won't get a better offer in the summer. Nobody is drooling over a 26 year old former fatty who sat out half the season because he thought he 'deserved' more - despite only playing 7 good games AND who will be an RFA.

Who is throwing big bucks at him? Why would anyone give him more than minimum? Why would they even guarantee his money?

Every day that ticks by he loses almost 9k. I hope he is making a lot from his instagramming and not fattening up again... considering the Rox can just 2way him again for next season, he has already lost a ton of cash. And will lose a ton more.

Fire the agent. Move on.

The later the Rox convert him, the less he counts towards the lux tax threshold. Give this thing another month!

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Moving off subject, and why not - - I'm having so many issues grasping the nickels'n'dimes remaining w/the open roster slots and the need to win-win-win, so, I say, I find Matthews and Ellington's destinations interesting. Those are not typical destination teams???

18. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

If he wants to be a RFA and wants multiple offers, not playing in the Playoffs is not an option for him. I hope his agent realizes that.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah I was wondering about that. All I could come up with was maybe they're just looking for the team that will literally give them the highest possible usage, guaranteed minutes and fga so they position themselves for a contract. I didn't check if any of them have any roots in those cities though.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have found roots in a city a mixed bag, right Russ & PG13? Of course, there's Gerald Green & even House. I suppose, as you suggested, they feel better positioned for FA w/high usage as opposed to high exposure of fighting for a chip.

Mathloom likes this.