1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni please start Tucker at the 4, bench Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Oct 5, 2017.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Yea....he’s terrible defensively. Always has been. He has one elite nba skill......or really just an nba skill. His defense is below average , same for his rebounding. He has no post game besides the head fake seizure ( he already conceded this in his presser). Shot blocking and steals rarely happen.

And let’s be honest, the Rockets aren’t hurting on shooters.

He’s a great shooter ( for 41 games in the regular season) and a nice guy but he’s a very limited player. We will be hard pressed to compete for a title as long as he’s taking up this much cap space.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought we were talking about matchups.

Ryan Anderson is one of the best PF matchups against Draymond Green. And a perfectly fine matchup against CLE, BOS and MIN. And I'm no longer scared of LMA...let the Spurs try to beat us by giving him a lot of long 2s.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I’m not convinced on the Green match up. Green is athletic enough to close out on Anderson and disciplined enough not to go for the head fake barrage. I don’t see Anderson moving quickly enough laterally to have a chance at stopping Green.

Any video evidence of the season series? (Yes I know he got hot that one game)

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If andersons shot is off he has absolutely nothing to offer in a matchup with green

buffalobills!!! and amaru like this.
  5. heypartner

I didn't say anything about Green's ability to defend Ryno. That's what you want. You want a Stretch-4 to get Green away from the rim. And you want GSW to try to score points with Green driving.

It isn't a matter of who will win the match-up. We are talking about neutralizing the reigning DPOY who is also a fantastic rebounder.

The point is that Houston wins the matchup, if GSW tries to exploit Ryno's defense with Green's offense, and Houston wins the matchup if Green tries to shut down Ryno on the perimeter....because GSW relies on him being closer to the rim....just like Rodman.

A pure Stretch-4 is a perfect matchup vs Draymond Green.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Never said his shooting wasn’t valuable with playmakers and a strong team around him. I simply said I’m hard pressed to think of any offensive player at his position that he could guard alone. Therefore I feel he is a severe minus defender.

I’m not talking about anything else. I’m sayin Ryan Anderson can’t guard a chair.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

is this a team game or a matchup of ryno vs someone. the latter must be extremely important

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If he can keep the opposing PF anchored at the perimeter for Harden and CP3, I don't care how bad of a defender he is. That said, with CP3 on the team, I definitely expect to see more midrange pick and pop plays between him and Anderson.

9. amaru

amaru Member

?

10. amaru

amaru Member

That’s the only way he can contribute. He’s going to have to figure out the Home/ post season shooting woes though.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If all else fails, we can just paint all the red to yellow LOL

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why not just start Jim Harden at the 4??

CP3
    Bobby Brown
    Ariza
    Harden
    Capela

13. heypartner

And I'm saying it's an overall Plus, if you can neutralize the reigning DPOY, rim protector and fantastic rebounder by getting him away from the rim. Ryno is better against Green than Aldridge is, that's for sure.

Yes, Ryno has his bad matchups. But GSW is *not* one of them.

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bbhollic is so down

15. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

What's the season opener lineup?

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Ryno is a perfect fit for the first three quarters. When it gets to nutcrunching time, you subtract him and either add Gordon if you need more offense or Tucker if you need defense. The great part about our team is that we’re versatile and built to counter the Warriors.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Melo's defense is so much better than Ryno because he gives you the ability to switch everything on defense. Would've been a massive upgrade on both ends. **** Morey!

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

No he is not! He passes up open shots and when he finally musters up the courage to shoot it, he bricks it. He's a total liability on defense. He gets torched by whoever he tries to guard. Heck I would take Beasley over him. You won't win championship with Ryan Anderson starting. Too bad Morey hasn't realized this.

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Ain't Moreys fault. Thunder just get a pity party from the L.

SIL

20. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'll agree on defense, offensively is debateable. Won't know until after this season if Morey lucked out or messed up.