1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Anthony Melton' defensive mindset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Aug 22, 2018.

1. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Melton could be that player that will bring a defensive mindset against any tough guards like Curry, Irving and Lowry....

Progs, saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Agreed. Let's hope he ramps his game up and is ready to be a role player during the season.

3. dmoneybangbang

So glad this was the BPA instead of the usual.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We always do BPA?

seeingred and RudyTBag like this.
  5. Chamillionaire

Really glad someone brought this up cause I thought we'd never talk about his defensive potential.

6. theimpossibles1

Can't wait to see MELtOn play.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does this count as a Melo thread? need a ruling

Remlap, hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

He’s not even signed yet. I refuse to get too attached

BigggReddd, Houtho and mac_got_this like this.
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Given that we currently have MCW as a stop-gap, emergency PG, I would expect Melton to spend most of 2018-19 in RGV. That's just how management likes to develop rookies, and frankly the kid needs an opportunity to get up lots of 3s in real game situations.

By next year he'd be entering his age-21 season as a much more polished product.

hakeem94, hajkov and D-rock like this.
  10. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

He's not even signed!

D-rock likes this.
  11. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

I like it a 2nd rounder guarding against curry's (half court heave and against illegal moving screen d) irving of the world .....

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Obligatory undersized PF ?

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Rookies are essentially never good enough defenders to overcome not being able to hit open shots. Is he going to be the best defensive rookie of all time or is he going to suddenly be not only a decent shooter but a decent NBA shooter? One of these two things have to happen for him to get in.

s3ts, KALIKULI and hakeem94 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will MDA know he is signed once he is signed any way?

15. Progs

Progs Member

He'll be a STUD going into next season 19-20

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Instead of wasting our minutes on Melo, we should be giving it to this guy, who could use all the minutes in regular season to gain experience and develop, so that he could hopefully actually help us against the Warriors in the playoffs.

Melo against Warriors in the playoffs is unplayable. He is not going to defend all of a sudden after not having done so for 15 years. Melton, if he has enough minutes and experience, might actually be able to contribute.

Those who don't think a rookie can contribute in the playoffs, have not seen Sam Casell.

KALIKULI and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I been wanting a defensive peak pg who can actually full court press from inbound. Especially seeing how effective it was against harden last season when c3 went down. It was a great way to disrupt the flow of the offense

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

So would you say he's here to disrupt, rather than create?

No, but zboy is doing his best.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Being a Swiss army knife defensively is what keeps him from being exclusive to one position. He is more than capable of guarding the two guard position and some smaller three forwards.

I wouldn't put it past MDA to actually give this guy steady run once he gets his feet wet at the beginning of the season. We won't be asking much of him in terms of ball handling or playmaking (that's what we have CP, Harden, & Melo for).

I also find it hilarious that people would think that somehow having MCW as a 3rd PG would keep Melton from seeing minutes on the court. Hell, if RJ Hunter can crack at least garbage time minutes with his no defense all offense approach last season, I can't see why Melton wouldn't be able to crack 5-10 minutes in the rotation as a defensive minded energy spark off the bench. So long as his 3 point shot is improving, he should get some type of run by midseason.

Once he's signed. Of course.

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Melton could grow and contribute but he isn't being blocked for minutes by Melo. Melton is a shooting guard, he is blocked by the MVP and the best 6th man in the league.

heypartner likes this.