1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Valencia Anyone??

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Aug 1, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Danny Valencia was DFA'd by Toronto this morning, had to make room for Revere and Lowe and they wanted to go with 13 pitchers. Don't usually see guys having a good year get DFA'd, but Toronto's offense is strong and they have no room for him.

Valencia has had an up and down career, but is hitting .296 with a .837 OPS this year.....and plays 3B and 1B. Certainly seems like an upgrade over what we are throwing out there at 1B right now? And while he has never met expectations, the .837 OPS this year isn't a total outlier, in part time with KC two years ago he had an .888 OPS

I wouldn't mind seeing them put CC through waivers, ship him off to whoever would take the rest of his contract this year, and add Valencia

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

heck yeah i'd take him.

3. newAge_Rockets

I would love him, but I'm thinking that we won't even be able to claim him with so many teams in front of us.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't be a wreck defensively at 1B if he plays 3B.

High K totals and walks less than Altuve, but he'd easily be an upgrade.

5. The Beard

Yea came up and mainly played his career as a 3B

But this year has played 10 games at 3B, 5 games at 1B, 3 at 2B and 37 in OF

Not that we need another utility type, but he could certainly been a good defender at 1B for us, and the added versatility certainly wouldn't hurt

As new age said, doubt he falls to us in the pecking order

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in!

What teams are in front of us?

EDIT: nevermind, pretty much every team in the AL is ahead of us except for Royals and Yankees.

#6 crose, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

First world (place) problems....

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

He's a very good hitter against lefties. Too bad there's little chance of getting him

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How in the hell do you DFA a guy one day after the trade deadline.

10. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They must have been too busy emptying the cubbards to try and buy a wild card berth and forgot about him.

Funny thing, they needed bullpen help, and the guy they traded for totally coughed up the lead today.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Because it is after the deadline, can't they just pull him back from waivers if they can't reach a trade (assuming that is what they want)? Or am I thinking of something else.

12. The Beard

Running a guy trough waivers gives that opportunity, most teams run all their guys through this time of year to see who clears

When you designate someone if they are claimed they are gone

Pretty sure that is how it works, wouldn't guarantee it

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Can Carter or Valbuena be sent down?

Or could they play with sending McCullers or Velasquez back and forth between starts down to AAA. Atleast until Sept rosters can expand.

This should be treated as playoff auditions for Carter, Valbuena, Gonzalez & Marisnick as well as Velasquez, Fields, Fiers & Feldman

Sold on everyone else and high on Gonzalez, Velasquez, think Fiers could be great at the backend of the rotation, think Valbuena could get red hot at any moment. Marisnick is the perfect late innings pinch runner/defensive replacement

14. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Valencia has a career .864 OPS vs left handed pitching, and plays many positions. He would be another Gonzalez for us, not as good defensively. I do like him a lot, but we dont have a spot for him, unless we DFA CC, something i would have no problem with. I prefer to see Singleton over Carter.

15. The Beard

Welp

Wish we would have done it

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

And why did Toronto cut him???