1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danish 'Muhammad' Cartoonist To Receive German Media Freedom Prize

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 8, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A Danish cartoonist whose drawings of the Prophet Muhammad caused anger in the Muslim world will receive a media prize in Germany today.

Organizers said the M100 Media Prize will be awarded for Kurt Westergaard's "unbending engagement for freedom of the press and freedom of opinion, and for his courage to defend these democratic values despite threats of death and violence."

Chancellor Angela Merkel will deliver a speech at the ceremony honoring the cartoonist in Potsdam, near Berlin.

Westergaard drew the most controversial of 12 caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, first published in a Danish newspaper in 2005, which sparked protests across the Muslim world.

http://www.rferl.org/content/Danish...eive_German_Media_Freedom_Prize_/2151531.html

------------

Thumbs up to Angela Merkel!

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't get how this is D&D material, your hero got an award.......boooooohoooo.

3. trustme

trustme Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I automatically knew it would be by AroundTheWorld.

4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Is there a point to this thread, or does ATW always want to look foolish?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess they feel it is important to stand up for the rights of all...and not bend to the will or threat of violence.

DD

6. Steve_Francis_rules

What a stupid reason to give someone an award. Hey, maybe we should give a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Trey Parker and Matt Stone for making an episode of South Park that mocked Scientology.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I understand that, but it doesn't really justify intentionally being an offensive douche bag.

I have every right to go stand outside a young gay man's funeral holding a sign saying he is burning in hell. That doesn't mean I should do it. I would also find it likely that I would be putting myself in harm's way for exercising this right to free speech. That doesn't mean I'm courageous for doing it. I would still just be a piece of ****.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

are they going to honor the westboro baptist church next?

9. DaDakota

Yes, I hear ya.

However, sometimes things get so oppressive, or intolerant that it takes a douchebag to point them out.

DD

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The guy is not even a douchebag. I have seen interviews with him, and he is an intelligent, articulate, polite man.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(snicker) But that would be so awesome! I think it would be more of a lifetime achievement thing though, or perhaps just for Southpark, the movie. Bigger, longer, and uncut.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

A man who intentionally goes out of his way to offend millions (if not billions) of people is a douche bag.

Him being intelligent, articulate, and polite is completely irrelevant. Those qualities and douche baggery are not mutually exclusive.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

The guy lives in Europe, not in one of these oppressive, intolerant regimes. Everyone was very aware already of the oppressive and intolerant regimes controlling much of the Muslim world. Him intentionally offending people doesn't help anyone living in oppression.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is a cartoonist. It is called sense of humor. Try it.

15. Steve_Francis_rules

They should, right? Those people put themselves in harm's way to defend free speech every time a soldier dies or a gay person is brutally murdered because of his sexuality!

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, but ...

Germany: Not getting it since the 12 Century.

17. DaDakota

It does if it brings up the worlds awareness by focusing the attention on those regimes and their backwards laws and rules etc.

DD

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or Barack Obama for breathing.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Before this cartoonist came along the Muslim world was going relatively unnoticed. Just wallowing in their backwardness, oppressing their citizens in obscurity. After he drew the cartoon though, the world has awaken! I see things about the Muslim world on the news all the time now! It's crazy! I hear some countries have even sent troops there since this guy drew that cartoon!

20. DaDakota

I feel your sarcasm, but it doesn't change that some folks feel it is important to continually point out the intolerance, to keep up the awareness.

Awareness is the first step to change.

DD