1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damion James- Shawn Marion

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by htownbball, Mar 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Anyone think James is similar to Marion? Similar size at 6'7 230 and both are very very athletic. James plays a similar role that Marion played in Phoenix as an undersized PF. Neither really has much of an offensive game and can't really create for themselves. James has an improving jumpshot and we all know of Marion's ugly shot. However, like Marion, James will make the occasional three pointer. Both are tough and above average rebounders for their size. James doesn't have the ball handling skills to really be a small forward and isn't a very good shooter from midrange or from deep. When James does come out, I could see Phoenix taking him to replace Marion. I think because of James' limited offensive repitoire, he'll have to find his niche in the league on one of those run and gun type teams who value athleticism over size.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think he has the tool to be a very nice swingman in the league, but I also think he has to develop a lot as a player if he's going to do so.

Didn't see very much determination from him at all against Memphis. Looked better against Stanford. If he played with serious drive more consistently, I'd be very high on him. I'd think one more year at Texas would do him a world of good. Right now I'd think he's a 2nd rounder, but if he plays as the man next year, gets more of an edge/swagger, and gets his jumper to be a little more reliable - he'd be decent as a pro.

Evan

3. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

reminds me more of Josh Howard than Marion. James isn't as long or athletic as Marion, but he's got the long arms and athleticism of Howard. Howard's jumpshot was pretty suspect until he got into the league and he played 4 years in college. Could see James having a similar path.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Josh Howard had way better ball handling skills and scoring ability coming out. James right now is an athletic PF in a SF's body, he's improving his offensive game pretty fast and another year could make him a 1st rounder next year.

He really reminds me of Kenyon Martin (a little shorter). They can't really create for themselves but will make plays with their athleticism. James is already a better rebounder than Martin in college and James will actually hit a 3-pointer or two in a game.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would say... A crappy Marcus Fizer. I said crappy.
    Actually I changed my mind. Thats a bad comparison. In the NBA I think he re will relate to Fizer. Or a Mike Harris w range. But in college he is as active as a Marion type.

#5 Ziggy, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. scola4president

uhh who is damion james? does he play college or pro?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's a sophomore for the University of Texas. He had a pretty damn good season averaging better than 13 points & 10 rebounds per game.

He's got a shot at the late 1st round if he goes this year. There are few that believe he'll go this year. He knows he needs 1 more year. If he does that and improves at the rate he did from last year to this, he's a lottery lock in 2009.

8. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Not true for James. He is a good scorer, and he still has time to work on his jumpshot. Once he can start knocking that down consistently he will own.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You can not be able to create for yourself and still be able to score a lot of points.