1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas crushes Jazz in Utah

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Are the Mavs for real?

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nba/2001/20001120/boxscore/daluth.html">Dallas beats Jazz 107-98 in Utah</a>. Finley scored 29, Nowitzki 20 and 14 boards while Steve Nash handed out 17 assists to go with 17 points.

Karl Malone held to 13 points on 4-14 shooting.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think crushes overstates it a little bit, but to answer your question, YES, Dallas is for real. THis comes as no suprise really though. Everyone expected them to be competitive, at least more so, this year, and sometimes the experts pick well (of course, sometimes they suck...read=Milwaukee)

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

When the Mavs play to their full potential they can beat some of the best, but until another team slides out of the playoffs Dallas will most likely be a 9th place squad.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited November 21, 2000).]

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

How dare you Clutch. How dare you throw a Spazz thread out there without properly noting that Karla was directly related in injuring another NBA player. Dirk Nowitki meet Karla and the Elbows of death.

Dean, besides Philly no team has more wins than the Mavs. Right now, no one has to slide out of the west, they are leading it. But if your looking for a team to slide out, I ask you to look at the Sonics.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I loved watching this game. I haven't been this riled up about a basketball game since, well, since the Suns game, but I was really into it.

Dreamshake--EXACTLY my thoughts. I first got really into it in the fourth, when Karla started slappin Nowitzki. What is it with Malone and the Mavericks? First injuring Shawn Bradley, getting in Don Nelson's face, and now slapping Nowitzki?

Did anyone catch the Dallas' announcers' comments about how Malone is "the biggest crybaby in the NBA?" Classic. I loved it.

Can't wait till I head to the Delta Center when the Rocks lay an ass-whooping on the Jazz, too. Have to wait until January, but still...

------------------
    Jazzkiller

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Shake, Dallas may be 7-4 at 6th place right now but by the end of the season they'll again be on the outside looking in.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

From what I remember of the replay, Malone was standing straight up and slapped at the ball straight down. I thought good D was in the down position and to avoid fouls you slapped up at the ball.

IMO, Malone's downward slap on Nowitski was more of a physical gesture than good D and he almost never gets called for this. I don't think he even got a foul called on the Nowitski play as they showed Dirk in pain gesturing a slap across the wrists as he headed to the bench.

An example of preferencial treatment and why I don't like Malone's game or the Jazz.

------------------
    GATER

8. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Well crap. Now the Jazz are going to be pissed off for their game against the Nuggets on Wendsday.

Crap crap crap.

------------------
    Nuggets4
    The Pinnacle - Rising to the Top With the Denver Nuggets
    http://www.NugsPinnacle.com

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Gater--

Exactly! That is this guy's sole defensive move...slapping at the ball. Half the time he misses the ball and gets somebody's forearm, but it rarely gets called. It is the biggest joke in the world that Malone has been a defensive first-teamer several years.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

the mavs are not for real and until they can bring themselves to respectability they still suck...respectability means making the playoffs which they havent done since geez i cant even remember tarpley maybe?

for that matter we still suck too (basing it on last yeat at least) but we have a better history and last year was the FIRST year we were not in the playoffs in a while...

anyway the mavs make me yawn

------------------

i am a friend of sarah connors i was told she was here can i see her please

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Actually the Mavs are 8-4 after that win. And like I said, only the Sixers have more wins. And they only have one more loss then the second least in the league.

Look at their play from the end of last year up until the first 1/7 of this season. Youd be hard pressed to find any team thats been playing better ball.

Please if the Rox were 8-4 right now, youd be claiming "I told you so". The mavs are playing great ball. They deserve the recognition they have been getting.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

And what about the 2 elbows he threw (and connected) at Laettner's face? He should have been thrown out of the game. Laettner didn't go for any of his fakes, stayed on the ground and played solid D. Malone is not as quick as he used to be and could not go around Christian. It was fun to watch.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.