1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Cowboys 2011 Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Francis3422, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well, since I know there are a few fans of the Boys' on the board I thought I would bring this up. Dallas has the #9, 40# picks to start and those are the ones that I wanted to discuss.

Dallas even with Jon Kitna had a pretty decent offense last year with the exception of their running game was less than stellar. Felix Jones has shown flashes as has Tashard Choice to an extent. Marion Barber is slow and terrible. Never able to find a hole and dances too much with little benefit. The offensive line was much better in pass coverage than in generating good run blocking, but it was passable in both aspects to be generous. The passing game was pretty good although you can point to costly mental errors and drops by Roy "Suck" Williams and Miles Austin (who is a good #2 and a decent #1). Sad that what should be our franchise WR is acting like an idiot this offseason. I still have hope for Dez however. I believe the Cowboys need to go defense with the first pick and pick up a quality offensive lineman as well.

Defensively we were poor. IMO our front seven guys did a good job consistently although Fat Wade let Co-Senior citizens (Keith Brooking and Bradie James) who are still solid linebackers, become ineffective because they played EVERY down. Even nickel, which got ugly. The pass defense was pretty atrocious. We had two young corners who slumped a lot after solid years last season. Terrence Williams is still solid but fragile and hits like my grandmother. Jay Ratliff was negated most games by double teams but is still a beast. The same could be said for DeMarcus Ware. Our other OLB Spencer is so-so and has failed to impress me rushing the passer. Our Ends do what they need to do. They stop the run, but no more than that. Our safety Alan Ball is probably worse at his position than Kareem Jackson.

The Draft

I am in favor of trading down in the first round because I don't think anyone we would want (Dareus, Patterson, Miller) will be available. I would like to trade back far enough in the first to get an additional second rounder. And then try to get Gabe Carimi with the first rounder and then Phil Taylor and Rahim Moore with the other two picks.

If we stay at our current picks though...

#9-JJ Watt- Don't really like this guy at 9, but we could definitely use an end to build around.
    #40- Phil Taylor if available, then Rahim Moore (btw, Moore has indicated in recent media interviews that he will "not last past pick 40" seemingly saying he has a guarantee) I doubt that.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I am a cowboys fan and I agree with your post.

I think we need to get either an outstanding O-line to really make our o-line stellar, or we need to pick a CB to replace Terrence Newman (not Terrence Williams) or we could pick up a ruckus making DE.

I've always thought, make noise at the first level, makes the 2nd and 3rd much easier. Our LB corp is decent, but if we could get someone to pressure the pocket like Jay Ratliff, we'd be good.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Oh man, I did put Terrence Williams... Wow.

Anyway, if I was Jerry Jones, I would look to move up from #9, for either Peterson or Dareus.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

^^ it really could go either way.

Either move up and get someone like Von miller and wreck havoc or get some lower 1st rounders or 2nd rounders by moving down and getting some solid players.

Either we hit a homerun in a position that would really ease up the rest of our weaknesses or we bolster our weaknesses (0-line, DB's).

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hahahahahaha why are you guys even in the lottery? Super bowl was in dallas, should have been your year!!! It would have been perfect.....

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

There the cowboys who really cares who they draft.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

There is no lottery in the NFL draft.... And the crappiness of the Boys' this year didn't stop us from raping the Texans.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can you really brag because one crappy team beat another?

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Did you expect something else from a Cowboys fan?

10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Texans fans did it for YEARS after 2002...

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agree with the OP...

We need a secondary, in a bad way...We need LB's, another pass rusher...where does it end?

As for Dez, I'm hoping he gets his act together, but being a Cowboy fan, more than likely he'll crash and burn off the field...

F'n Romo better no suck this year...put it another way, he better win the big games, especially in December...

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The key there is did. If it weren't that, Cowboys fans would go on about their Super Bowls, or The Triplets, or the stadium or something with no relevance to the present in order to hide the the fact that everything the organization has done over the past decade and a half everything it has done has been overblown and overrated. In my experience, Cowboys fans are the primary ones who bring up achievements in the past to justify their team being great in the present when the truth is different. Not all Cowboy fans are like that but the majority, in my experience are.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The funny thing is that this post was started simply to talk about Dallas and it was the Texans fans that came and have to start yapping. This thread didn't champion anything that happened in the nineties because those years are indeed long gone. The hallmark of a Cowboys fan may be to harp on the past but the hallmark of a Texans fan is to wait with bated breath for success while they hijack Cowboy threads.

14. jets fool

jets fool Member

Man take yall cowgurl lovin azzes to a cowboy message board....dis htown fool move around

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

A cowboys fan on a houston board, with a Francis moniker, and an Ayn Rand signature.

You sir have issues.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You are on a Houston centered forums....

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea, and this is the NFL encompassing section of the board. Its not like I started this in the Texans forum.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Haters gonna Hate!

There are many people on the BBS that post about their team that aren't the Texans, Astros & Rockets...

All I know is its going to be a long season, if they get their crap together...I'm tired of hearing potential and talent...just f'n win some games...

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well we are inching closer to the draft and most of the indications coming out of Dallas is they would like to trade back and get Costanzo,Smith, Carimi, Solder or Watt if he is available. There has also been talk of Dallas trying to acquire another (possibly 1st or 2nd rounder) by trading some of next years draft to fill needs now. I would like for Dallas to acquire something like #24 for next years first and third.

They would have #9, #24, #40 and #71 in the first three rounds.
    #9-JJ Watt
    #24-Derrick Sherrod
    #40-Rahim Moore
    #71-John Moffit

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ahahahahahaha