1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dakota Access Pipeline Standoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Dec 4, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think you mean being released into the atmosphere, unless the fire is so hot they've created a supernova type of nuclear fusion in there.

But yes, their cultural customs do release relatively minor amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. A lot less than the cultural customs of the paleface, but whatever. Still not helpful in the big picture.

2. Major

Major Member

I know you like everything in black and white, but it's just not that simple. Here's a good, informative article on different methods of moving crude oil.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...ude-pipeline-rail-truck-or-boat/#7fc0d2e45777

Quick summary from the article:

Crude oil is moving around the world, around our country, around pristine wilderness, around our cities and towns. It’s going to keep moving, will undoubtedly increase during our new energy boom, so what is the safest way to move it?

The short answer is: truck worse than train worse than pipeline worse than boat (Oilprice.com). But that’s only for human death and property destruction. For the normalized amount of oil spilled, it’s truck worse than pipeline worse than rail worse than boat (Congressional Research Service). Different yet again is for environmental impact (dominated by impact to aquatic habitat), where it’s boat worse than pipeline worse than truck worse than rail.

So it depends upon what your definition is for worse. Is it death and destruction? Is it amount of oil released? Is it land area or water volume contaminated? Is it habitat destroyed? Is it CO2 emitted?

durvasa and RocketWalta like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Judge Delivers Blow To Trump Administration In Dakota Access Fight
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...o-trump-administration-in-dakota-access-fight

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Nobody's Interested: TransCanada Facing New Keystone XL Issue
    https://www.thestreet.com/story/142...ne-xl-issue-nobody-is-interested-anymore.html

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/06/keystone_xl_pipeline_oil_compa.html

5. NewRoxFan

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Awaiting all those who supported the pipeline to speak on this

What are the chances that the 'people' end up paying for this while the company gets off nearly scot free

Rocket River

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dumbass Republicans have been wired to believe that pollution is no big deal. Just check the amount of idiots posting comments in the Fox News article that NewRoxFan posted.

Pollution: No big deal
    Sexual assault: no big deal
    Racism: no big deal
    russian collusion: no big deal

Hillary's emails: big f***ing deal

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Nobody really cared about pipelines before the Keystone became a political wedge issue. That continues till today unless some of you naysayers can point me to posts of yours about any of the below pipelines. I'll wait....

[​IMG]

11. Buck Turgidson

Well, that's not true at all. Lots of people have been, for a long time, caring about meaningful safety and regulatory oversight, environmental impacts, and eminent domain issues.

I'm not anti-O&G or pipelines by a far stretch, but it's pretty much a 1-sided conversation in much of the US, industry gets what they want.

12. TheresTheDagger

Fair enough, but I'm talking specifically about the naysayers in this thread. Can you point me to a post about the dangers of pipelines before they Keystone thread started?

13. Buck Turgidson

On here? I'm sure not. Go to a forum that is more attuned to those issues, I bet you'd find something. That's like asking if anyone on the Salmon Fishing in Kamchatka Forum has said anything about Shaq being a sh!tty studio host on TNT.

I get your point though. It seems there's sudden group outrage about a whole lot of things these days.

TheresTheDagger and davidio840 like this.
  14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

There are quite a few people on this BBS that post garbage from both the left and right. In this particular case, there are some idiots in here talking about how the pipeline is Trumps fault. Pipelines have to exist in this country, otherwise you won't have any fuel, steam, gas, water, sewage, etc. There are the same posters over and over again that have an agenda, regardless of the topic at hand.

You have the "I hate Trump" crowd, regardless of what he does or doesn't do. Then you have the "I support Trump" crowd, regardless of what he does or doesn't do. It's one gigantic circle jerk of nonsense. In reality, the discussion should be how to prevent this from happening. There are MILLIONS of miles of pipelines under all of our homes, works, etc that nobody even knows they are there. Houston has pipelines transporting oil all over this city. Trust me I work in the industry and have worked on a lot of projects here in Houston. Hell, there are gigantic salt domes just under 288 and the beltway that literally store thousands of gallons of oil down there and it is transported via pipeline. The fact that these don't happen all of the time should say a little bit about how regulated it is in general. And it actually is.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. TheresTheDagger

Thanks for the links.

Still, both links are about Dakota Access and/or Keystone. In other words, my question hasn't been answered. It became a big deal when it became a political wedge issue (for both sides). And pipelines have been in the United States for DECADES.

17. NewRoxFan

I believe the Dakota/Keystone/XL was the most controversial, hence it received the most attention.

18. Buck Turgidson

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Keystone Pipeline (which has been around) and the Keystone XL Pipeline (the new one) are 2 different things. No?

19. Major

Major Member

What is your point here? Isn't this true of all issues? They weren't issues until they were? An individual mandate to buy health insurance wasn't an issue until Obamacare. Presidents taking vacations wasn't an issue until Obama had a date night in New York. No one cared about the government forcing eminent domain on Nebraska landowners for a project that had no significant benefits to the US until Keystone XL.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Before keystone it was and still is ANWR. The pipelines that extend to existing ANWR fields have been pretty poorly maintained over time. BP has been has been one of the worst culprits.

All common knowledge for people who want to care about the issue. Most people don't, and that's okay too.