1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dak Prescott: How and Why

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocket River, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Interesting situation for the Cowboys with him and Romo.

Cowboys save 5MM by cutting Romo this offseason, but 5MM bucks for a quality backup is a good deal.

This situation has the possibility to get ugly in the media.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think it's a fair comparison, Dak and Tom. But you have to realize, people aren't comparing Dak to the current 4-ring, first ballot HoF Tom, but rather, the Tom that was drafted in the 6th round, only to supplant Bledsoe as the starting QB and finds (a lot of) success. No one is saying Dak is going to go on and get 5 rings and become the GOAT and yadda yadda. Also, I haven't seen any outright comparisons, media or otherwise, about comparing Dak to what Brady has done, over the course of his career. But it's easy to find similarities between Tom's early years and Dak's current play.

But regarding the story that's going to dominate Dallas football for the next two weeks: the Dallas brass would be foolish to replace Dak with Tony, at this point. Why mess with something that's not at all broken? Dak has chemistry with everyone. Dallas is riding a 5 game win streak into the bye week, where they're going to be facing, statistically, the best team in the NFC two weeks from now. It's not like there's been inconsistency in Dak's game.

What's crazy is, they're doing all this without their best WR. When Dez comes back and establishes that chemistry with Dak (or Tony), Dallas might be the favorites to represent the NFC in the superbowl.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I agree...you don't change it because it's working. So far, Dak is just a better version of Tony Romo. He's got a better QB body/frame and he has speed. His passes are strong and on target. He's intelligent, focused, and doesn't get flustered. He has plays in the playbook that are designed around the QB keeping the ball and running it...and it works. Romo could never do that with his slow speed. Believe me...if Jerry and Jason pull Dak...then the Dallas fans are going to be really upset. Dak has to do something to lose the job imo...and he's not doing it. This offense is running like a well-oiled machine. At this point, I take Beasley over Dez because Beasley has the speed and the hands. Dez is still pretty good but he's been MIA pretty much all season...and the Cowboys are still winning without him. At this point, it's like Dez who? Dez should make the team better but all these receivers are getting the job done without him. I just hope you don't start forcing passes to Dez. The best part about Dez is if he still draws the double teams...the other receivers are going to be single coverage. I like Dez if he's single covered....not so much if he's got a safety over the top of him. He is not the first option then. Therefore, Dez is just the decoy. Dez should be able to get his but damn if it looks like we are doing just fine without him.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem is that you can't scout or test for decision making, the ability to learn and decision making speed. I bet someday in the near future, they will put these guys in a VR simulator and see how they respond.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I think one of the things that sets him apart is his intelligence. He's smart with the football and so far has been good at reading the defenses and making the right throws.

More QBs should stay in school to get that education. Prescott received an undergraduate degree in educational psychology. He completed a master’s degree in workforce leadership.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cowboys catch another break:

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, Texans are finding out what it feels like to have a QB who can't make proper reads and throw accurately

I remember seeing all the pre draft stuff and the word on Dak was that he was always exceptionally prepared

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

That combined with a great running game - takes a lot of pressure of the QB.
    There is a lot of chemistry on their O right now.

10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I was thinking about this myself just today - distinct possibility.
    They whiffed on Derek Carr too.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They seem to be aware of this and Decide to play it safe by going after other team's backups.
    They have more NFL Tape on those guys

We drafted Savage but I doubt they have enough trust and faith in their decision making to move him into the starting line up anytime soon
    He might have to leave .. . . do something on another team . . then come back
    I'm not saying he should be starting just that I don't think we have much history of a backup moving up to start consistantly.

Rocket River

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Speaking of chemistry, I wonder if Dez Bryant will start to disrupt some of that when he returns against the Eagles.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why would Dez disrupt any chemistry?

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

By demanding the ball and getting upset when it doesn't come his way or when things go wrong.

Right now, there isn't a selfish bone in their entire offense. Dak doesn't have to worry about anything other than making the right decisions. Dez is selfish and could change that. The last thing the Cowboys need is a sideline "discussion" between Dez and Dak about how open Dez was on 3rd down. Dak shouldn't have to worry about keeping Dez happy.

If Dez doesn't disrupt Dak's clear mind and focus, his presence will help the Cowboys big time, even when he's not involved in plays. However, if Dez doesn't contain his ego and temper, it might not go so well. The first 2-3 games will be fine. After that, we'll see.

Last thing: Dak has a very strong personality. If any rookie QB starter can shake off Dez, it's him.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...kiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-strike-draft-gold

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not a great game by Dak for the most part. Stupid interception, seemed to be off on a number of throws for the first time this season... but DAMN when it counted he came through.

I thought they could have won it in the 4th if they had moved the pocket to buy him some time knowing they were sending the blitz every down. Glad they got it done in OT. What a game.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Texans were one of the few teams that meet with him and scouted him in pre-draft workouts. I remember because I was a proponent of us drafting him. Basically the DUI ruined any chance he had with the Texans and many other teams. For Dak, the bad news was he slid in the draft but great news he was acquitted of the DUI after the draft. He ended up falling to a good team, good OLine, good RB, and starting QB made out of glass.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Personally, I think Romo would have lost this game because he can't run with the ball like Dak and, therefore, run options are limited. No way you quarterback sneak Romo on 4th-and-1 like we did with Dak. And, Romo isn't running no option play where he's a threat to run it into the end zone for a TD. Romo is only good at being tackled from behind. You just lose an entire dimension to QB play with Romo in the game. Romo tries to make up for his immobility with 360 spins and his passing. But, Dak does it all and isn't limited. At this point, Jerry and Jason would be insane to put Romo back in there. INSANE. Dak stole the job. You don't kill this 1-2 punch of Dak/Zeke by going back to Romo mid-season because it's one of the most exciting things in football right now. Sorry, Tony. Fans are going to fume if they pull Dak now. And, you are ruining Dak's rookie campaign because he is rookie of the year candidate if he keeps it up.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cowboys got extremely lucky with Dak; so many things had to go in their favor to have him. From Lynch and Cook being taken away from them to Kellen Moore and Romo getting injured.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And to answer the question you didn't ask: yes, the Texans should absolutely sign Tony Romo if this Brock Osweiler situation doesn't drastically improve.