1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daily LeBron Odds Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's very similar to the Melo decision to throw away the rest of his prime by staying in NY. He picked family and it seems to have backfired. I don't think Lebron is willing to throw away the rest of his career like Melo did. Lebron wants to go down as the greatest of all time and his 3-6 record in the finals will be used against him and if he goes to LA, that's where it ends. If he teams up with CP3 here in Houston, he can help get his best friend in the league a few rings while boosting his own numbers. Just seems like a no brainer.

Then again, I was wrong once before....on a Tuesday, so there's a chance I could be wrong again.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, I have an uneasy feeling about LA...

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think @ApacheWarrior makes a lot of sense.

LeBron needs to contend, which is why Houston is the obvious choice, but I also think it's why it might not be the actual choice.

Everywhere LeBron has gone, he orchestrated a key roster move for his new team before going there and positioned himself as the savior, making a huge wins improvement. That's the Lakers rather than the Rockets.

Also important -- LeBron does not control this move to Houston. It depends on trades and working with an owner he doesn't have the best relationship with and seemingly looks down upon (though I may be wrong). It seems more in his style to be in complete control, able to just announce what's going to happen when he wants. For some reason, I think this may hurt the Rockets.

The Lakers are in the same state as the Warriors. 90% of Golden State's fan base are former Lakers fans. It's also Hollywood. If they can acquire Kawhi (big if) and sign Paul George (not a big if), I could see this being a move similar to LeBron's past two free agency decisions.

I'm not saying I'm sour on it just yet, but I do think Houston seems more like the Durant move while Los Angeles seems more like a traditional LeBron move.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maybe we can get some people to be rational around here now that you weigh in.

This talk like Houston is an obvious, no other logical option choice is preposterous.

The Lakers are in a great spot. They can probably nab Lebron and George plus another good player if not a star. It checks off all of his boxes. The Lakers don't look like an easy title contender next year, but truthfully they can turn themselves into a top 3 team without much trouble and I think people who think the Rockets are a shoe in to be a 65 win team again are probably a little overly optimistic.

daywalker02 and Fullcourt like this.
  5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If we miss out on Lebron and PG, what’s our move? Running it back with an older squad seems a good way to have the same result.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just it though, Houston IS an obvious choice.

Doesn't mean it's the ONLY choice, there's always Philly and Boston, but that doesn't take away from the fact that by far the most logical and obvious choice is Houston.

I still don't buy the Lakers hype because it would be a pretty terrible decision by Lebron from a competitive standpoint, he'd put himself in a position to where he'd have to get past not only the Warriors but the Rockets too in order to just get back to the Finals and he'd be on a team that might not be good enough to get by either.

Cash Cam, bawanyh, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming that CP3 doesn't get hurt, "the same result" is an NBA championship.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That’s what I worry. Injury risk doesn’t go down as you age, it goes up. How do we mitigate that? How do we lighten the load on Paul and Harden? Best way is a third star who can handle the ball, but if that option isn’t available?

Ugh after reading this, LA does make a lot of sense...

9. Coach E

Coach E Member

I think you forgot the most important thing. Chris Paul. His kids Godfather, his great friend, his offseason vacation buddy. If CP3 is here, why would LeBron not want to be here?

everyday eddie, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That is definitely a big factor for the Rockets, assuming he's back (which I believe he will be).

everyday eddie, Deuce and D-rock like this.
  11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The worrisome thing could be LeBron luring him over to LA. I think that is a bit slimmer chance because I don't think they can grab PG and CP3 if I am not mistaken.

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If they are better than Cavs, then they will definitely be in the mix though.
    Personally, I would be surprised if LeBron leaves Cleveland - the biggest surprise just might be LeBron orchestrating a big time player heading over to join him at Cavs.

13. Coach E

Coach E Member

This would be an issue, but they have a young PG in Lonzo, would drastically slow down his growth if you bring in cp3. Obviously if it means getting LeBron then they do it, but wouldn’t be best case for them

Also Walton is a bit a wild card as well, I’m not sure how he would be around guys like LeBron and cp3. We have a players coach true and true, and our guys will vouch for him.

everyday eddie and Stack24 like this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

If Lebron doesn't come west, then the rockets win.
    We can make small upgrades and try again next year. We were one bad quarter away from going to the finals WITHOUT lebron.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The best thing would be for Lebron to head to Houston to lighten the load on everyone. Lebron and CP3 get to play and win a few championships together. IMO a better alternative than Lebron going to LA and trying to force a team with Paul George and hope that they have enough to get past the Warriors AND Rockets every year for the rest of his career.

everyday eddie, bawanyh and bulkatron like this.
  16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Buuuuuutttttt...his last decision was before this version of the Warriors. The warriors have forced everyone's hand at this point. Lebron and PG13 in LA do not beat the warriors. Probably not even the rockets. Or the celtics. We can blame okc and their failures on Westbrook and melo...but Paul George didn't come out of that smelling like roses either. He is not a top 10 player. Maybe the lakers have the assets to pull off one more move for a big name, but at that point he just recreated a lesser version of the heat in a far superior conference at a later stage in his career in a different NBA landscape. Lebron knows this. So, yes, lebron has always made a move he is in control of with corresponding moves that he controls as well...This time he may just have to trust someone else though...who better than CP3.

That's the hope I'm holding onto! Otherwise I mostly fear the lakers bc of lebron and his control issues.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Whatever happens, we will likely know before the end of this month.

We will either drastically improve with LeBron or try to improve the roster without him.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I agree, but what really seemed interesting from his press after game 4, when he stated indirectly he would like to be in situation with players have shown or proven they can contend or some sort, I think it was the question prior to the last one from his presser, to me even if he goes to the Lakers and acquire pg they still wouldn't be able to contend against the warriors but yes the most obvious choice seems so far is us.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I also think our 65 win season was a tad bit inflated from so many teams choosing to tank. It might be a tad hard next year to achieve that again.

20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think the biggest factor is that LBJ NEEDS to win. If he was fine with competing he would stay where he is. The Lakers aren't getting all three so he and PG13 is not enough to get the job done and then they are waiting on if. He can't wait and not on an if. He had to wait this season and wasn't happy. The Rockets will not sit still and the Warriors will still be laughing at him. If the Rockets had floundered like OKMe, he goes the other way and probably CP3 as well. Harden and KD hanging around went south ultra quick the season the Rockets blew up. That made perfect sense. There has been too much legitimate smoke around this to think LBJ and CP3 don't want this to happen. That would have died long ago. We know what the plan was from the leaks. I can believe it falls through because of failing to make the trade work but I believe he wants to come here. I also don't believe Tilman bought the team without the ability to make this work.

everyday eddie and Hakeemtheking like this.