1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Mo to play in Italy for the duration of the lockout, perhaps through next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Chris Jent MVP

it will be funny though ... if a mass influx of nba players goes to euroleague ... will it be a free agent free-for-all, or will euroleague have an emergency draft to take the nba players ??? lol

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

They have rules about number of foreign players, especially Americans, in European domestic leagues. Also, the European basketball teams have just about all completed their rosters already.

So, I'm not sure that there is much room for very many NBA players. That is one of the reasons why the NBA extends the contract period out so long. Because the European teams are already filling up their roster spots before then. That way, it effectively eliminates a lot of contract offers that European teams otherwise could make to NBA players.

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

How can i watch Euroleague online? i know nbatv has it.

4. JonnyFlynn

JonnyFlynn Member

We are way too stacked at the 4 position.
    If we start missing loads of games because of the lockout it would be better to let Monty play and develop his game in Europe.
    Rockets don't need him to play this season unless someone in his position is traded or injured.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I was not entirely accurate in my explanation of how players obtain clearance to play in other leagues (as OHMSS correctly pointed out). Here's a much better explanation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...rent&transport=fragment&frame=f3ff11610339c8c

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Potential benefits of Montiejunas playing overseas next season:

--He actually gets to PLAY meaningful basketball during the lockout.

--The Rockets didn't need another young player on this team. They've got enough already.

--His draft rights will be easy to trade, since they will have a value of $0 for salary-matching purposes.

--His "cap hold" in 2012 will likely be a little less than had he played, since (at least under the former rules) his "salary slot" would be the first-year salary for the #20 pick in 2012, rather than the second-year salary for the #20 pick in 2011. Also, under the former rules, pretty much every team signed their first rounders to 120% of the rookie scale salary. If Montiejunas remains unsigned by July 2012 (a likely scenario), his salary slot will just be 100%. In a summer (2012) when the Rockets may be putting all their chips into the middle of the table with their cap room, every little bit of additional space will help. (Again, this is all subject to whatever the new CBA says, but it is highly unlikely that the rookie wage scale will increase under the new CBA. If anything, it would be more likely to DECREASE, only further helping the Rockets' cap situation vis-a-vis Montiejunas's cap hold.)

Just an ever-so-thin silver lining on an otherwise crappy day.

7. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

dumb...He is heralded for his passing...hes said to be one of the...if not THE best passing big in euro league...

Anyways...

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If I owned an Euroleague team and LeBron or Kobe came onto my doorstep, I'd cut somebody immediately.

Hell, if Terrence Williams or Hasheem Thabeet showed up on my doorstep...

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index
    http://www.fromsportcom.com/c-6.html
    http://sport24.lt/krepsinis
    http://www.rojadirecta.es/
    http://www.lshunter.tv/basketball-li...ing-video.html

Plus many other websites. Euroleague games are very easily available online.

However, if you want to know so that you can watch Motiejunas play, keep in mind that Motiejunas does not play in the the Euroleague. He plays in the Italian League and the Eurocup, not in the actual Euroleague.

1 person likes this.
  10. blackistan

blackistan Member

smart decision by dmo

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

No good Euroleague team would ever sign a player like Williams or Thabeet. As far as players like LeBron and Kobe go, they would have to sign with a team that is leaving open its budget.

Euroleague teams with big budgets give guaranteed contracts out and they close their rosters early and they allocate their budgets even earlier. So unless Kobe or LeBron want to play for a small salary they would most likely have no choice in what team they could play on.

Sure, they could play for some random team in Russia or Turkey, but most likely not for any serious basketball team, nor in any serious basketball competition. It would be a publicity stunt like the Iverson signing.

The only way that this would be anything serious is if the player has a personal in. In that case.........maybe Kobe. Kobe is the only NBA player I can think of. Kobe is personal friends with the owner of a Euroleague team and his dad has close ties to that club.

So, Kobe could play in a club and have money and sponsor deals set aside for him. Essentially whenever he wants to. LeBron? Doubtful.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Playing for BT is better than not playing basketball at all (lock out), but I do not think that playing for BT is especially good for him. My understanding is that the Rockets are not terribly happy with the style of play BT is pushing DM to play, and believe it has some what hurt his development. I would like to see him come over this season. Now, I believe playing for BT or better yet, the EL would be a really good experience for many young players... but it is a case by case situation.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

David Andersen 2.0? :(
    DA was depressing, especially when Rockets fans started hyping it up after his first few games. LOL.

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I hope this never comes to fruition.

I really don't want any of our rooks this year (especially the 1st two) to be included in a trade package. Of course that's why they are probably enticing to other teams as well, they still have that "new car smell", that aura of potential. But I just think M2M, and D-Mo have a chance to be much better than average. Emphasis on "chance".

Even though they have more experience I'd rather give up Bud, and PPat. So I guess that means I'd just as soon that D-Mo wait until just after he gets back, and plays for the Rocks before he "blows up". lol

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

Daryl Morey's going to lace them up?!?! :eek:

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Can you explain the difference between the Euroleague and Eurocup?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My understanding is Euroleague to Eurocup is like the NBA was to the ABA.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So no Euroleague team would "let" Lebron play for them? :rolleyes:

19. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

De-Mon will be back to NBA when LO is over. He will play in Trevizo during the time. I think it would be better for him to be in the NBA because Trevizo is not even in the Euroleague, thy are just one of the top euro cup teams. Cheers.

20. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Just for the record, Kobe could play in Milan ( Milano Armani Jeans) club, probably for very less money, because he said he would like to come back to to Italy( Milan) before finishing career or during the LO or something. I don't know about the whole contracts thing, but it's not so impossible you know.