1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D.J. Augustin

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by gucci888, Dec 3, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I know its early in the season but D.J. is already having a great year. He needs to cut down on the turnovers but as the only true PG and only being a sophomore, he'll only get better.

If he can keep up his production, he could easily be one of the top PGs taken in the draft. Thoughts?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's a lottery pick right now. He's scoring, passing, and playing solid defense. he's definitely small for the NBA, but so what. I'd take him on the Rockets in a heartbeat.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He's the best point guard in college right now, but you have to remember that he's only 5'11" and he's not a freakish athlete and that's going to count against him to NBA GMs.

Also, there are a number of one-and-dones in the college ranks that have the body that the NBA wants from it's point guards - guys like Rose, Gordon and Mayo. DJ is a much better point guard than any of those guys, but he's also several inches shorter and not the athlete they are.

If he comes out early, his draft stock is really going to fluctuate based on how many other underclassmen declare.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How tall is Chris Paul again?

DD

5. Puedlfor

Chris Paul is listed at 6'.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Chris Paul is 6' like I'm 6'.

I'm 5'10"

7. BALLhog 247 365

i'm about 6'1 with shoes.. i walk past DJ on campus all the time, and hes about an inch shorter than me, which i think makes him the same height as chris paul.

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

chris paul is also much quicker than dj and really knows how to get to the basket

9. Sextuple Double

I didn't like him last year. The only PG more worthless was Greg Paulus. Last year he didn't know how to get Kevin Durant the ball. WTF!!!?? All he had to do was give Durant the ball and play off him. I haven't seen him play this year though, but his numbers are looking good. We don't need him though.

10. Puedlfor

That's just crazy talk. Augustin was very good last year.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did you even watch him last season? He was very good considering he was a true freshman. To say he couldn't get the ball to Durant makes me wonder if you even watched UT basketball last season.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, what?

Uh, seriously? I suppose we don't need him like we don't "need" any player. But without him, we're probably a borderline ranked team as opposed to our current #2 ranking.

13. junglerules

junglerules Member

DJ was very good at times last year, just very inconsistent. Part of that was playing with a bunch of other freshman and young UT players, part of it was trying to figure out how to mesh with such an immense talent like Durant, and I think a part of it was that he wasn't in the best basketball shape and he wore down as the season progressed. With that said, he was still 4th in the NCAA in assists, and he was the pre-season Big 12 player of the year. If he stunk that much last year, I think he wouldn't have earned such preseason accolades.

14. haven

haven Member

This is a terrible post.

Durant scored 25+ points a game. He had plenty of shots. Augustin was sensational most of last year.

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Obviously didn't watch much UT basketball last year. I'm not sure how DJ will fare in the NBA, but he's a GREAT college player. Both last year and this year.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

Augustine or Aaron Brooks. I think we got a gem with Brooks and a steal at that. Augustine will be very very good but will go to a lottery team. If we continue to improve and our record gets better we will have no chance at getting him.

17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

augustine does not show up against guards from like the big east conference, Acc, or even pac 10 guards for that matter...

last ncaa's he got man-handled by usc's dan hackett and that other usc guard who got drafted to the wizards

18. Sextuple Double

All these dudes talkin bout if I saw any Texas games. Augustin was NOT GOOD. He had a lotta hype, and I never saw what it was all about.

Thank you. I wonder who was the one who really didn't see any games.

I do admit his play this year is better, far better than last year. But I'm not in the hype with this dude. I could name 15-20 point guards over the years who were far better than him and are either riding the pine or playing elsewhere.

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Last year he got upped in that villanova game vs the other freshmen scottie reynolds...

he is good but for guards everyone knows that the best guards are in the big east...(i.e. connecticut, villanova, pittsburg, georgetown) the second probally acc(duke, u.n.c, etc,)third is probally sec(florida,etc.)..oh and you can't forget about the big ten(michigan state, ohio state, illinois, and this year indiana

augustin has to show up in the ncaa's to get some respect cuz he aint a freshmen no more

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Did anyone watch the Texas/Oklahoma St. game? Augustin single-handedly carried UT to the W. He's the best PG in the country and should at least get consideration for POY.