1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Day 75 Years later

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Jun 5, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

Couldn't let this day go by without a thread honoring the invasion of Nazi occupied Europe and the men who pulled it off.

At the moment I write this, paratroopers were dropping by the thousands into the Normandy countryside as the first steps of Operation Overlord. I know many Americans have family members who participated in World War II and I think it would be fascinating to hear the stories of your loved ones here....a fitting tribute to their courage.

[​IMG][​IMG]

KingCheetah, the shark, GIGO and 5 others like this.
  2. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I live in France for 2-3 months out of the year and it’s worth visiting the area where all that took place.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My grandfathers served but not in Europe. My maternal grandfather was in the Philippines and he did fight in Japan. I have a Japanese soldier's sword that my grandfather took. My paternal grandfather, I believe, was stationed stateside.

Both sides of my family are Jewish. While we immigrated in the late 1800's, it's highly likely that i had ancestors in concentration camps as we mostly came from Poland and Belarus.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I had two uncles who served in that war but neither was involved in the Normandy invasion. Great idea for a thread though.
    The courage to rush those shorelines is just unimaginable.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

CCity Zero and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. Buck Turgidson

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

When it comes to war I’m usually not the chest bumping kind of guy..but my grandfather, Alejandro Castillo, fought in all of the North African campaign before getting shot in the leg/ankle trying to take a hill in Sicily. He’s going to be 102 in September this year...still fairly active. He laid on the battle field for 2 days before they found him. He told me a few other stories when I pressed him ...some he didn’t want to finish and was still visibly upset some 50 years later. My other grandfather fought in the pacific campaign but didn’t see quite as much action . I’m extremely proud that my grandfathers fought in the war that changed the history of the entire world. It was terrible but heroic all at the same time.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

How come we don't celebrate what the Russians did at the battle of st petersburg? The majority if the axis power was placed on the Eastern front. Funny how brainwashed Americans are.

11. Buck Turgidson

Why don't the Russians celebrate the Battle of Midway? Iwo Jima? Okinawa? etc...

How brainwashed are you?

12. TheresTheDagger

Go back and read my original post. The majority of the Americans who visit this site probably have at least one (probably several) family members who served in WWII. In my own case, this includes my father who was a combat veteran of the Battle of the Bulge among other action in 1944-45 on the Western Front.

Now personally, I have read up a lot on all aspects of WWII including the Eastern Front. But in a thread that is honoring the specific sacrifices of our own flesh and blood, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to celebrate Russian victories.

But if you feel the need to start such a thread, go ahead and knock yourself out.

Nook, Pipe, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Grandfather was on Omaha beach, he told me war stories the last Christmas before he passed, still my hero to this day.

DD

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Kinda difficult to celebrate what the Russians did given what Stalin would go on to do. Had the western democracies not taken back France, the Soviet Union may have stretched way further across mainland Europe after WW2.

16. Buck Turgidson

Also what they did in their conquered territory before Op. Barbarossa (look up Katyn), when they were all friends with the Nazis. And then again when the Red Army basically raped and pillaged their way to Berlin. And what they did (not do) during the Warsaw Uprising. It's a long list.

B-Bob and MadMax like this.
  17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm gonna watch nat geo all day today

Kruze10 likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Maybe the party but these people are tougher than most people in the world. They make Americans look like green baby ****.

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Oh no, I agree they are tough. Coming from someone born in Algeria. However, the USSR still failed and they are still bitter about it and makes excuses.

Buck Turgidson likes this.