1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They are on their last legs

- bigtexxx

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The deaths maybe double what they are reported given the lack of testing.

Regardless, if you open things up too early the virus makes a roaring comeback and you are back to square one. You have to get antibody and rapid testing in place first so you can make sure the virus doesn't make a comeback.

Please have common sense @bigtexxx

jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually, I would wager that the deaths are less than half of what's reported, as most of the people had major underlying conditions which were more responsible for the death. If someone has lung cancer and diabetes and COVID, did they really die because of COVID? Additionally, hospitals are financially rewarded to report cases and deaths if they are COVID related.

This has all been one enormous overreaction. But I'm done with lockdown. Going about my normal life.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Funny how these healthy, wealthy, superior folks have more time on their hands than ever to troll here. Wish I could see how these cucks REALLY look...

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Believe whatever pseudoscience pleases you and spread whatever propaganda or make believe junk you like TJ.

If you have diabetes and die of covid, your cause of death is covid, not diabetes, the same way if you have a heart attack your cause of death is cardiac arrest, not diabetes.

RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The talking points are back, a roaring comeback. I have to give it to them, it's a masterpiece of psychotic will bending and squeezing a circle through a square.

ps. with the fed gov (this admin) is pretty much useless, it's all up to each States. The trump admin is incompetent and are too afraid to take the lead and be responsible. Instead, they are going to focus on taxes, economy, bailout of big businesses, and politic and election. The states will just have to step up on their own with min help from this admin.

ps2. many states are flattening the curve due to their aggressive action made necessary due to a lack of fed planning and execution. They are going to have to figure out on their own how to slowly open back up. I do wish to see a consortium of states working together on a plan.... but that might not happen even. It's a bad situation but I have confident that some states will figure it out and other states will follow their path. It's not as effective as a coherent national strategy but I think this is the best we can now hope for. Good thing is they should know what is needed - they just need to execute on it.

ps3 Good article on how to transition to containment. Nothing much new which make it that much more maddening that the fed gov is too afraid to even execute on this.

#3646 Amiga, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Remember the talking point of I didn't know any better? The Chinese didn't tell me enough? It was nothing but a flu? All lies.

They knew as early as 1/29/2020 and likely earlier. They calculated the risk using information provided by the Chinese government (so much for lying about not having data). Memo said PPE is the 1st line of defense and that they need at least a billion face masks, 200k Tyvek suits, 11k ventilators, 25k PAPRs.

The WH was just woefully unprepared and didn't take it seriously.

MEMORANDUM TO PRESIDENT
    THROUGH NSA, COS, COVID-19 TASK FORCE
    RE: REQUEST FOR SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION

There is an increasing probability of a full-blown COVE-19 pandemic that could infect as many
    as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1-2 million souls.

MEMORANDUM TO NSC
    FROM PETER NAVARRO
    RE: IMPOSE TRAVEL BAN ON

If the probability of a pandemic is greater than roughly 1%, a game-theoretic analysis of the coronavirus indicates the clear dominate strategy is an immediate travel ban on china.

We confront two stylized choices: Aggressive Containment versus No Containment. We faced two stylized outcomes: A relatively modest "seasonal flu-like" outcome with relatively low rate of transmission and mortality versus a more deadly "pandemic flu" such as witnessed with the Asian, Hong Kong, Spanish, and Swine Flus.

Cost estimates range from zero in Seasonal flu/No Containment outcome to $3.8 trillion in the Pandemic/No Containment outcome. These cost estimate account for both the loss of economic activity and human life and are derived from a recent CEA study.

From this cost matrix, one can compute the "expected value" of each possible outcome from assumed probabilities. As soon as the probability of the Pandamic outcome rises above roughly 1%, the dominate strategy is aggressive containment. This is because of costs of No Containment/Pandemic scenario are so staggering, including the possible loss of as many as half a million American lives.

It is unlikely the introduction of the coronavirus into the U.S. population in significant number will mimic a "seasonal flu" event with relatively low contagion and mortality rates. The coronavirus is not the result of a small "antigenic drift" from a virus our population has built up immunities to, as with seasonal flu. Rather, we effectively have an extreme "antigenic shift" to a virus where our population has little to no immune protection.

Note that it was an antigenic shift that led to the four influenza pandemics we have witnessed since 1918 - "Spanish", Asian, Hong Kong, and Swine Flu.

Note, too, that the risk of a pademic rises exponentially with the "R naught" of any given disease, which measure how many new people may be infected with each new infection of one person. Seasonal flue has a R naught of only 1.0. In contract, China is reporting a possible coronavirus R naught of from 3 to 5, which is greater than Swine Flu (1.5), Spanish Flu (2.2), and SARS (2.8) and in the range of Bubonic Plague (3.5), Polio (3.5), Scarlet Fever (4.0), and Smallpox (5.0).

The risk of a worst-case pandemic scenario should not be overlooked in light of the information provided by the Chinese government that is specific to the coronavirus.

foh, No Worries, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Wealthy?
    Lol
    No pedigree wannabes

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ordinarily I just ignore the nonsense coming from some of the posters her but some recent posts whether meant for satire or just narcissism aren’t just nonsense but flat out callous and dangerous.

I’ve been talking for months now about the problems of small businesses, especially minority businesses. I am very worried and concerned that these businesses won’t survive. If it was up to me I too would be looking for ways we can get the economy going.

We’re gambling with peoples lives.

This disease isn’t a joke. More than 700 Americans are dying a day from it. It is now the leading cause of death in this country. I believe that long term economic shutdown is dangerous but we know for a fact that COVID 19 is killing a lot of people. Sweden’s voluntary system is failing while CA’s early draconian measures appear to be working. The strategy of stay at home and shelter in place is making a difference. Are we now going to say that we’re going to risk that progress for saving the economy in the short term?

Regarding physical fitness I totally agree. I’ve been making exercise videos for people in Judo and encouraging everyone to exercise more. This is true that physical fitness is vital to both physical health and mental health. It strengthens the immune system and is one of the most important things we can do as individuals to address this situation.

Since other are boasting allow me to boast. Most of the regulars here know my background. What they might not know is I recently turned 50 but I still train regularly. I took third at a National Competiton this summer in the over 40 category, and routinely beat people half my age sparring. During this crisis I’ve actually lost weight and improved my cardio. That doesn’t mean I’m not worried about this disease. Olympic athletes have gotten it. Freakin NBA players have gotten it. None of us here are anywhere close to fitness of those people. What is even more troubling isn’t the possibility that we might get the disease it’s the possibility that we can be assymptomatic carriers. We can end up infecting many people including close family and friends. That is what keeps me up at night.

This is a painful and difficult time and while some of us might brag that we can handle it so we should open the economy and go back to normal life that isn’t strength. That is weakness. That is weakness that we can’t stand the economic and social pain. We’re unwilling to push on. It’s like when you’re running and trying to finish that last mile. Your legs hurt, your lungs burn, and you have a cramp that feels like you have an ice pick in your side. That is where we are at. This hurts but if we’re strong we can get that mile in.

Nook, Sweet Lou 4 2, jcf and 8 others like this.
  10. WNBA

WNBA Member

[​IMG]
    Dr. Lipkin and his team advised the Chinese government and the World Health Organization (WHO). He was honored by the Chinese government for his contributions early last month.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-scientists-wuhan-coronavirus-contagion
    NYC Team Led By Scientist Who Advised On “Contagion” Is Racing To Unlock The Coronavirus. Here’s What They Told Us
    FEB. 3, 2020 3:34 P.M.

A highly respected team of scientists based in New York City are among the researchers playing a critical role in studying and hopefully helping Chinese officials contain the spread of a coronavirus outbreak that some say is on the verge of becoming a pandemic...............

that old news: Dr Lipkin, a well respected 'master virus hunter', went to China in January and helped in developing Wuhan's first covid19 testing kits. His expertise and dedication saved tons of lives...NY team developed the test kits and a month later NY did not have working test kits.. irony?

info on the virus? Dr. Lipkin knows the best if Trump government had asked him.
    working test kits? Dr. Lipkin had those stored in his garage ...but Trump government decided not to use them.

You have the greatest scientists and best human beings in the world.. but got wasted by Trump.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Chinese bought sell out it seems. Probably as dirty as a civet in a Chinese wet market.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Slow to act, now early to lift stay-in-place...

TEXAS TO EASE CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN UNDER EXECUTIVE ORDER TO 'RESTORE LIVELIHOODS,' GOVERNOR SAYS
    https://www.newsweek.com/texas-ease...-says-1497371?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

yawn

#3653 Invisible Fan, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  14. WNBA

WNBA Member

what a dirty Trump sell out you have become!

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

IMO the single dumbest decision that we have made so far is the current one about not bailing out the postal service . It’s one the greatest value services the govt has created and still does a great job operating at a low cost. *

*Decisions about health aside , economics wise I mean.

I mean what gives ? It’s the most obvious yes answer . Most decisions are way tougher than this .

From a sinister standpoint this could be seen as an attempt to limit information.

Nook, RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't think its the dumbest or worst thing he has done, but I agree its really high up on the dumb scale. Bail out the cruise industry but let the US mail service go under?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

think about how many facets of our society work through the exchange created by mail . the entire thing isn’t gonna privatize overnight and if it does it will be a ****ing robbery . What do we want to happen here ? Amazon to take over ?

Nook, RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Point me to the bailout for the cruise industry, I'm very interested in reading that part of the bill.

20. Buck Turgidson

Nor has the virus peaked in Texas yet, and we're 49th in per capita testing, iirc.

I'm going to wait and see what he says next week, but I have little faith in our state leadership.

T_Man, RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.