1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni explains why he doesn’t like calling timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 21, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Fair enough

There werent many(if any) that would have made a difference.

That would have happend regardless and had more to do with lineup problems(go look at Portland and how their timeouts really helped them, they had the leads most of the series).

Thats gonna happen though, its basketball, does Kerr call a timeout every time Steph throws his stupid behind the back pass and misses it? No he doesnt, you know he doesnt. Mistakes happen.

Our defense was not playing great. The defense was the problem. :( Most of the time outs you saw were because of defense imo.

And I think this is fair, but if wasnt for Chris Paul's hamstring and poor shooting, we would have at least one championship. I think its hard to argue Mike's success with us.

Because thats not what hes saying, hes done that many times throughtout the regular season and post season. TIME OUTS WERE NOT ANY KIND OF DECIDING FACTOR. cmon man this is basic stuff. Its a bunch of non sense.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Proof is in the pudding. Have we been winning like that? A couple of meaningless games sure, but not when it counts.

Lets keep the hamster wheel turning, because what MDA is doing is obviously working us. (Sarcasm)

Where are they getting their sample size from? Around the league? Just this team? Previous decades? Yeah I bet the stats dont look good if they are sampling just MDA teams. Lol

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you're misinterpreting the sentiment here. Dantoni calls timeouts, obviously. But what he is saying here is that he does not call timeouts JUST to stop/control momentum. That doesn't mean he never calls them, or they don't have their uses. He has said that he will call timeouts if there is some specific that needs to be adjusted or corrected, if players are not doing what they're supposed to do. Like you said, substitutions and/or strategic changes. But sometimes all your players know what to do, there's nothing that needs fixing, and the other teams just has their shots falling. In those instances, he is saying he isn't going to call a timeout to stop any perceived "momentum."

smp likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Having faith in your guys when they are having a bad night is one thing, but being incompetent is another.

You have to be able to stop runs and hot hands to win championships. MDA is incapable of doing so and then pretends its not a glaring flaw. If the players dont have the talent or know how, then what use is a coach who cant teach them? The players have the tools juat no capable to coach them.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Alright I posted about this, cited the article, used additional sources... and my thread gets ignored? Heck my undergraduate paper on Rice even touched on the issue of timeout usage by Phil Jackson.

Thanks y'all :p

Ramo$e likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You call a timeout to make an adjustment on something the team is obviously not doing. Maybe someone is lighting you up so you throw something at him defensively, maybe guys aren’t getting back in transition or not rotating/switching properly. A stop in play alone sometimes can break the other teams rhythm.

This no timeout garbage hurts the Rockets, so those answers are not acceptable.

PeterKingX likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't have the data and Mike D'Antoni has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know, but purely based on watching a lot of basketball (and other sports, actually), I really doubt that the statement about timeouts having no effect is correct. I have seen it so many times that it stopped the momentum of a run and/or that the crowd that was going crazy and feeding the team going on a run kind of got silenced - it is hard for me to believe that his statement is correct.

I think that D'Antoni is philosophically aligned with Daryl and especially James Harden here - and they will have done lots of research on this. But sometimes - sometimes - it feels like he should do it.

smp, Wulaw Horn and daywalker02 like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, he might not call a time out but I suspect he would. I happen to believe that most coaches believe there’s a benefit to calling TO’s on the road when they feel a game slipping away so I’m guessing Kerr would have but maybe not.
    The data on not calling TO’s to set up a play must be very convincing because that’s a real change in the game the last few years. Most smart organizations play on when there is a full shot clock remaining and time on a possession isn’t an issue.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who is winning “when it counts” in the last couple years, other than the Warriors?

jordnnnn, daywalker02 and justtxyank like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Duncan's Spurs were. If you stretch your timeline. Never repeated but they were mostly a threat in the West.

#92 daywalker02, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

"Just go with it"..Oh hell naw. We need a new coach!

amaru likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure. I have no beef with this.

Just people who constantly talk about the front office like they're totally clueless.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. BreakYoSelfFool

Timeouts have psychological effects which can be both positive and negative. That said, there are many situations where timeouts can be used as a coaching tool. Even saying there are not any major benefits does not mean that it would hurt to call a timeout. Sometimes corrective actions can be taken that can affect the rest of the game. At times the Rockets have issues with focus, energy, effort, awareness, and execution. I think any of these types of issues can be addressed with a timeout. We have so many instances where we have 5 or 6 straight possessions without getting even 1 quality shot. Sometimes even consecutive 24 second violations without even an attempt. There has got to be some corrective action that could have prevented a 3rd or 4th straight turnover with no shot. It is usually the same error 3 or 4 times in a roll. We turnover sometimes or fail to make a play just because guys are tired. As a fan, there are times when you can see in the players eyes or body language that can let you know a head of time something undesirable was gonna happen. Some guys it is more obvious with like Artest, Maxwell, Gerald Green, Capela, or John Starks. Sometimes it is a whole team vibe that needs to change. A good coach should be able to positively affect focus, energy, effort, awareness, and execution during a timeout break. Even if you don't think timeouts can change momentum, maybe you should have regularly scheduled timeouts to make adjustments.

I don't think timeouts would always be the answer, but some type of coaching and adjustment is necessary under harsh conditions. Benching a player who isn't sticking to the game plan may help. Timeouts won't fix cold shooting, but running a set play in a situation that has been prepared and practiced for should give a shooter more confidence. Also, calling a play for certain players can instill confidence under certain situations. But it could be argued that Harden ISO is a situation that has been prepared and practiced for. I think that is more what Dantoni is saying. I wonder what the analytics say about scripted vs unscripted plays. I'm sure Harden unscripted is just as good or better than all but 3 guys in the NBA would be scripted. That doesn't mean you should stop trying to find ways to get Harden an easy shot. Maybe this is also inconsequential or hard to measure for certain situations, but I would think set plays helps with familiarity and comfort lessening stress. I think it has been proven stress can negatively impact performance for certain guys, and should be mitigated if possible.

Ramo$e likes this.
  16. bret_parrish

bret_parrish Member

MDA is actually pretty great at drawing up plays that net the Rockets easy points out of a timeout. So....it's unfortunate he doesn't call T.O.'S more often.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol yall taking the comment out of context...he talking for a last second shot scenarios not a timeout to stop opposing teams momentive.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's too bad the NBA doesn't allow fans to call timeouts by hitting some kind of timeout button in unison on their gameboy controllers :cool:

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't believe MDA is going to be runners up for his entire NBA career. There has to be something Tilman and Morey can do.

20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Front office is the best in the league. I dont care what anybody says.

That doesn't make the coaches decisions right for that situation.

I guess we keep making the same mistakes until we get enough sample size to see it's not working? I just dont want it to be too late.