1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino's the most selfish SOB in the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 4, 2003.

1. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Lets look at the facts:

Mobley--2nd round draft choice (was clearly below Michael Dickerson's skill set) where is he now?

Rockets have not been to the playoffs with him on the team.

6'4 shooting guard--ONE dimensional (scorer)--when he is hot.

What else does he bring to the table? on a scale of one to ten, ten being excellent

pure shooter--5
    passer--2
    rebounder--3
    defense--5
    hustle--6
    free throws--9.5
    steals--5
    BBALL IQ--2
    Desire to win-?? --his actions speak louder than his words.

Based off of what he brings to the table he should be a sixth man.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I don't think you can question Cat's desire to win. He wants to win and he plays hard. The problem is he thinks that he needs to take a lot of shots in order for us to win - which isnt always the case.

If he would refine his passing skills and increase his willingness to pass, the team would be much better.

This starts at the coaching level.

3. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Cuttino isn't bad, he's just a moron. The past two games he was passing, 6 assists in both, and the offense worked better, he got better shots and didn't jack up shots. This game I think he only had one assist and look at the results. He needs to be strapped into a machine that sends electoronic pulses to his brain telling him that passes = better shots for everyone including him. He's a good one on one player, as I remember him saying in an interview his first year here, but that doesn't mean crap when there are zones and other players who need to get the ball. HE needs electro-shock therapy or a good benching from Rudy. He has skills he is just to dumb to use them.

4. kash_711

kash_711 Member

SHIP EDDIE OUT BEFORE MOBLEY

:D

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Tell me something no one already knows. I gotta say this, I love the Cat, however, he can be so stubborn sometimes as he just launches up shots (admit it everyone, you know ya'll are praying that it goes in like me...).

6. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

There's no question that Mobley has to go, and I hope something can be done in the offseason. Yao had a hard time finding shots being doubled and tripled, but had Mobley been willing to pass to him when he had good position, Yao could have had at least 10 shots. Mobley is the only guy (save Francis occasionally) who will see Yao posting and calling, and ignore him. On many occasions last night and in previous games, he decides instread to dribble with his head down or jack up an oustide shot. Not only does he kill our offense with his play, I believe he is still a bad influence on Francis, whom I still have hope for, and believe can be a true team player. Mobley for Pike is fine, but just get him out of Houston, please.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

its so crazy that people still blame cat for every freaking loss!! and then they say that Steve and Yao are the 2 best players on the team. well, why dont u blame them for the losses??:confused:

i mean clearly, the Rockets tried to get Yao involved, and Steve definitely got himself involved, and we still lost. So why not think about the things they did wrong, like not getting better post position in the case of Yao, and Steve not finding enough players open, and not getting yao easier shots??

Cat was something like 7-16, not that bad folks. If not for him, we would have gotten blown out it the second period. There is a reason Rudy T can take steve and yao out at the same time at the begining of the second quarter <b>every</b> game. Its so cat can take over the offense and try to either build on the lead or keep us in the game.

I mean why in the world would u blame cat for yesterday's loss. For me, it was much easier blaming steve or Yao. But i'm not even gonna do that cause i think it was a case of Minnesota just having a better game plan than us more than anything else. period. they took us out of things we like doing best. That is all folks. :cool:

8. feishen

feishen Member

Did anybody see "Street Ball" on ESPN. Any resembalace between Mobely and those street ballers.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

None, except the way they play basketball.

10. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

a guard plays more 40 minutes and get 1 assistant, cant be blamed?

11. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

From what I have seen and most people believe here, Cat is a:

Offensively ------
    Excellent one on one player
    Excellent pull-up jump shooter, but with poor spot shooting.
    Good O rebounder
    Great hustle player
    Good fastbreak player but with poor shot/pass selection
    Inconsistent cutter
    Poor passer, turn over prone when double teamed
    Below average court vision, or b/c his no-passing attitude
    Having little sense of spacing
    Ballhog

Defensively------
    Aggressive and effective on-ball defender, somtimes reckless
    Great hustle player
    Playing average helping defense, not quick in rotation
    Good d rebounder

Apparently, Cat is not a perfect fit for Rockets. He demands the ball to much and lacks the no-ball intellegience, too easy to lose control at court as a veteran.

But what I see the biggest disaster (probably the only one) is his influence on Steve. Steve is our future, our Magic, our Kobe... but he still has a lot to learn and desperatly needs a veteran model in the team. Cat seems to be such a person to him but we all know he's not qualified. Why Steve&Cat two ballhogs can play together? because they are close friends and they support each other on the way they are playing. Their power on the team is enough to overwhelm Rudy, i guess.

Yao brought the team fresh style of play by sharing the ball. Steve has changed alot, but he still needs a real backcourt model to show him the right things to do, not just cheering with his Cat when either one of them throws in a '15 feet fingle roll' among 3 defenders. If we have Stockton or Avery Johnson kind of player on the team, when Steve gets crazy, Rudy can sit him down and let him watch how a veteran PG play. (We can't expect Mocchie to be a model). If Francis finds himself is the only 'selfish' player here, he'll start to think about the problem.

What I suggest is to trade Cat with a package for a veteran PG and a passing SG. Old PG can be found in FA market. I'm sure Mark Jackson would be available. The ideal SG should be Brent Barry. Seatle is trying to rebuild. it 's a opportunity we can take. Initiate a three way trade and get Barry, we'll be on the track. However I'm not smart enough to come up with a detailed plan.

To me, Cat is an undersize Jalen Rose, with more atheletism but less PG ability. Indiana couldn't play Rose but he's right BULLs needed. I'm sure Cat will find a better place to be the man, and, grow up.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I cant believe that I wasted my time reading another Cuttino bashing thread.

Hey Rileydog (not related to Drewdog by the way)-
    Might I suggest you taking a Prozac or something? Nah forget that, why dont you go root for the freaking Lakers......

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. bury3

bury3 Member

Innocent question (meaning I want a true answer, not a sarcastic remark):

How many games was Cat out this season? And what record did we have?

Sorry, too lazy to do research.

14. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

i am not saying cat is not to be blamed at all. But there shouldnt be new threads about people bashing him after every game, especially after yesterdays game. It was more a case of T-wolves executing better than us that cost us the game, not Cuttino jacking up shots or not passing enough

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, exactly how long have you been a ROCKETBacker? :rolleyes:

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

And you should be coach of the year because clearly you have more credentials than Rudy T - The only coach to bring 2 championship banners to Houston.....

:rolleyes:

17. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

IM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE. I LIVE IN SAN ANTONIO AND PAID 149.99 FOR NBA LEAGUE PASS..... JUST TO SEE CATINO AND GRIFFIN SEND OUR TEAM DOWN THE TUBES. WE SHOULD TRADE YAO AND SEND HIM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL USE HIM. HE DESERVES TO WIN. NOT USING YAO IS LIKE HAVING A BENTLY AND ONLY DRIVING IT ON SUNDAYS. HE SHOULD TOUCH THE BALL EVERY TIME DOWN THE COURT....... HE DOESNT HAVE TO SHOOT, BUT HE HAS TO TOUCH THE BALL. I THINK RUDY IS ALSO TO BLAME. CUTTINO AND GRIFFIN SHOULD BE BENCHED FOR LIFE.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What game are you watching? What are you smoking?

19. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

Most people who have Bentlys only drive them occasionally. They get REALLY bad gas mileage.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I translated this guy's post into non-caps:

Im with you on this one. I live in San Antonio and Paid 149.99 for NBA League Pass.... just to see Catino and Griffin send our team down the tubes. We should trade Yao and send him to someone who will use him. He deserves to win. Not using Tao is like having a Bently and only driving it on Sundays. He should touch the ball every time down the caourt.....He doesn't have to shoot, but he has to touch the ball. I think Rudy is also to blame. Cuttino and Griffin should be benched for life.