1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wow altuve

vince likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Let her know to tell him not to blow this absolutely wonderful opportunity. He’s got to represent all us out of shape wannabe athletes... If Tyler White can’t do it, and with the full support of management, what hope is there for the rest of us?

All kidding aside, I’m not really that out of shape, lol...

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Unless the Astros want to give Taylor Jones a shot at the majors, we are stuck with White until Diaz comes back.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  4. theimpossibles1

Why not Tucker?

I would much rather see anyone else get a chance than see this clown waste more at bats.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You and I have played as many innings at first base in the Major leagues as Tucker has in the minors.

6. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Straw.....SS....

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  7. bobrek

And, do you want a ball hit to Straw at SS with the game on the line?

8. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

No, but the excuse you made about playing certain positions didnt seem to hold very much water.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  9. bobrek

I have complete faith in the Astros front office that if they felt Tucker or Alvarez could contribute at first base this season, they would be playing first base this season.

SuraGotMadHops and Astrofan59 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

No chance we will see Tucker at first. However they have talked about getting Alvarez time at 1st this season.

11. HTown2017Champs

They have? I thought all they said was they didn't feel comfortable with him there?

12. Nook

Nook Member

I remember them saying he may get a game or two there a couple series ago. I believe it was against the Reds.

However I also just read where Hinch recently said there will be no playing time available at first base for Alvarez.

They clearly view him as a corner outfielder over being a first baseman. I know a lot of other teams view him as a first baseman.

Personally I prefer him in left field where I think he is fine with the potential to be ever better than fine.

Snake Diggit and HTown2017Champs like this.
  13. htownbball

htownbball Member

Diaz was on fire when he went down. Need him at 3B or 1B. He'd be a starter on most teams somewhere.

14. Buck Turgidson

They started working out Straw at SS in AAA last year, and over the offseason, and in ST, and for 200+ innings in AAA this year.

Also I loved it when Blummer, who would know quite well, laughed when Kalas brought up the "you can just throw anyone at 1B" fallacy during the Colorado series.

arkoe and HTown2017Champs like this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Same. Prefer Tucker in RF, Alvarez in LF, and Beer at 1B. I personally view Tucker as more of a RF than a LF at our park, our RF is more of a traditional outfield, while our LF is smaller and MUCH more about playing walls on bounces, hops, and caroms. In the limited action we saw last year, Tucker looked more comfortable in right and center, and the walls and Crawford Boxes gave him difficulty.

Nook likes this.
  16. theimpossibles1

Even if Tucker/Alvarez makes an error every now and then, it's worth it to get White out of the lineup.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It could be one of those situations where they know him worrying about defense is gonna affect his offensive preparation, e.g. catchers.

18. bobrek

So...you really want to take Tucker who had a miserable offensive start to his career and put him at a position he has never played professionally and apparently never even played it in high school and have him worry about that? Yeah....good plan.

19. SuraGotMadHops

20. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

So up until this year Straw at SS really didnt exist. Like I said. Also White st 1B shows that anyone in a uniform can play 1B.