1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros didn't really losing anything either. Hader is the biggest loss and he is likely ticketed for the pen and struggling in AAA.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

While technically you are right . With prospects the chance for them to succeed is low anyways . They had great value at the time and could have been traded for different players . That's really what the Astros lost out on .

1 person likes this.
  3. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I do not disagree, but let's not act like he's the only the wrong with this team.

Take a look at our Batting Averages from top to bottom. Not ideal for a team with such high expectations.

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

I think you cut him to do him and the team a favor. Marisnick should be installed as the everyday center fielder with Teo finishing the year in Fresno. If Marisnick produces well enough, Teo can compete for a corner outfielder role. Otherwise, Marisnick should get dealt in the offseason and the Astros should pursue Blackmon to play center.

Cutting Gomez might light a fire in the team. They need to finish strong because Loudres isn't going to want to join his brother on a losing team and he's a great player to get because it won't cost the Astros a draft pick.

5. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

At the very least he should be benched. No reason not to run out Kemp, Jake and Springer most days from here on in.

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

Very true. The best baseball this team has played in over a decade was last April/May when Marisnick was hitting the ball. He might not have that kind of run in him again but right now his upside to this franchise is worth more.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wonder how much of that is Hinch making the decision to keep Gomez in CF, and how much of it is Luhnow making it clear that Gomez plays CF when he is in the lineup?

I know the manager is there to make the day to day lineup and in game decisions, but for some reason I feel like Luhnow is more controlling on issues like that than the typical GM. I think part of the reason Hinch was hired was because he was willing to let Luhnow have a stronger say in game to game issues. I'm not saying Luhnow makes out the lineup card because I know it isn't to that extent. But wouldn't surprise me at all if Hinch has been told "when Gomez plays, he is in CF". Same with the closer stuff, Hinch is making the in game decisions on how long to stick with certain guys and so forth, but I strongly doubt when we have made changes at closer, that Hinch has final say on that role

If i'm right, Luhnow better get a lot better or we will be nothing but an organization that is always loaded with prospects but never finishes the job

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would typically agree, but with McHugh being on video clearly saying "what the f*** is he doing", something is going to have to give pretty soon

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros were 37-16 this year from around May 22 to around July 22. That was much better than last April/May.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't see how they can justify continuing to play him. They aren't going to re-sign him, he adds next to no value to the team on either offense or defense, he isn't a fan favorite, doesn't sell tickets, and continuously hurts the team more than he helps it. He doesn't figure into the future of the organization in any way, so why not make a statement and just cut him loose?

11. Remix

Remix Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to our world Colin. We ask the same thing every night

3 people like this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I bet someone on here has a Carlos Gomez jersey. :eek:

13. conquistador#11

it's sad what has happened to gomez. =( angels dfa'd the freak. sometimes you lose it just like that. can't lose games due to incompetence. we've lost in every which way the past 9 days.

don't wake me up before you go go.

14. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

I officially support the aims and values of this thread

15. vince

vince Member

The Mets did the right thing. They nixed the trade because of the hip issue. Just like the Astros readjusted the contract offer to Aikens. It goes with the cliche, "you win some you lose some".

On a side note, I'm glad the Astros got it right with Aikens. Because Bregman baseball future is Astronomically good. Sure they also lost out on Jacob Nix and Marshall, but you can get them all.

Back on point, To me Gomez should be let go. Gomez was supposed to give you solid offense and elite defense. They Astros virtually have rolled over, and it's the offenses woes that got them there. This team was build for home runs, pitching, and defense, not small ball. So when the home runs aren't falling your clearly out of luck for winning.

If we need a defensive CF, just leave Marisnick out the patrolling full time. I'm all for letting Gomez be released.

Bring in Teo, give him a chance. Get rid of Rasmus too.... ☹️

Outfield should be:
    Springer
    Kemp
    Marisnick

Teo

Infield:
    Altuve
    Correa
    Bregman
    Reed

Gonzales

DH:
    Yuriel

Catcher:
    Castro
    Gattis

1 person likes this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Oh I forgot Valbuena, he should be playing first base...

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hard to play first base from the DL. :)

18. vince

vince Member

Yup I know that, but he should be back soon, unless I missed any news.

On a side note, I know that the intention for the Astros was that at least they'd get a draft pick from Gomez if he wanted too much money (I know we're all laughing at that idea now). But that was the case then.

But we may get that draft pick out of the performance Doug Fister has served out. Now I wouldn't mind getting him for the 15 million one year deal. I think he should qualify for a qualifying offer, and the Astros should give him one. He's been spectacular most of the season. No doubt he's earned himself a 3-4 year offer upwards of 50 million dollars.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sure what else he has to do to get DFA'd. It's like he's trying to get released.

And to speak on whether Luhnow has the balls or not...you don't get to this position and not be able to fire people. So, cut that crap out. He's proven time and again that he will fire coaches and remove players from the roster. Might be a DL stint or outright release.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member