1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cushing suspended

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket Guy, May 7, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well, it's like I posted above...

1) NFL

2) Linebacker

3) Pre-draft rumors

It's pretty much recognized that with the amount of punishment these guys take during the season that they're taking "something" to get health and fast. Cushing will get roasted for this no doubt but it has really been a way of life for NFL players. I will assume, until otherwise reported, that this was post-season because they get tested randomly and he hadn't failed one as far as we know so to me it seems he either was hiding this really really really well or he was using it to get over his injuries.

MLB and NFL are two VERY different animals thus the different points of view when it comes to steroids. I mean if someone is smoking pot in the NBA then its ok no biggie, or even in the NFL, but how do you think smoking pot would go over in MLB?

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Soto got busted last season for smoking pot but you didn't even remember it. I think that should answer your question.

He got busted at the WBC but that shouldn't change the point. MLB doesn't test for mar1juana unless they are suspicious of a user.

I agree with you to an extent about different perceptions in different sports but altogether, I think that the entire sports world has become largely desensitized to drug use.

#102 BrooksBall, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this is why people are lighter on Cushing. The NFL tests. It isn't like Cushing is going to set records and not be caught.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Didn't realize Soto had gotten busted so I guess yea sports in general have become desensitized. I just look at a guy like Josh Hamilton who was disgraced at first the put on a pedestal for falling to and overcoming Drugs while NFL guys seem to do it on a regular basis and we look the other way like nothing.

I will also say steroids messed with MLB records and thats a big no-no for a lot of people, the NFL doesn't have the same feel when it comes to records. I wonder if a bunch of players in MLB would have used PEDs and not broken so many cherished records would it have made that big of dent in society.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For the same reason that people reacted the same way when Randy "Macho Man" Savage admitted that he used steroids.

People don't masturbate about mom dad apple pie & brian cushing.

6. Major

Major Member

I think there are several things here:

1. A lot of people didn't think Bonds/McGwire was a big deal either, so you do have a mix of opinions on both sides.

2. Cushing is not nearly the star those guys were, so people don't care as much in general.

3. There is a sense of justice involved; some of the anger about Bonds/McGwire was that they suffered no punishment for it. They got to cheat for potentially a decade and made all sorts of money and got all sorts of fame/awards/etc but never really paid a price while active. Everyone could tell Clemens and McGwire were lying, and there was all sorts of functional evidence against Bonds with the BALCO stuff.

4. The lying is also a part of it. That's why the reaction to Pettite, Sheffield and Giambi was different than Clemens or Bonds. People forgive if they feel like the athlete at least admits a mistake (despite the apology being half-hearted and possibly half-true); they hate when people flat out lie to them.

5. Cushing is a Texan; Clemens was a Yankee who had basically ditched the Astros. There was already some resentment/anger there amongst fans.

The reaction you see with Cushing is more like the reaction you'd see if Michael Bourn got caught - a feeling of disappointment and that they are an idiot that deserves to be punished.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it was just last night, last night it was the lead story on the scroll during the basketball game

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Water is wet.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

plus football > baseball too.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

RT @Leb13: @Jay_Glazer Typical response. Do you believe him?>I still want to hear more

Jay_Glazer I just talked to cushing. He said he flunked a random test during the season and insists it was for a non-steroidal banned substance

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Cue the "I'd like to apologize to the city and the fans and my teammates and coaches, I did nothing wrong but I need to be more careful in the future, I accept all responsibility for my actions and promise this will not happen again"

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5172060

The Houston Texans' defense took a major blow Friday when defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing learned he is being suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Cushing, who said in a statement that he tested positive for a non-steroidal banned substance, appealed the league's decision at a hearing at the NFL scouting combine in February, but the linebacker was informed Friday his appeal had been rejected.

"I believe we presented compelling evidence during the appeal process to challenge the test results, and I disagree with and am disappointed by the suspension," Cushing said in the statement. "Bound by the decision of the league, I regret the situation it presents to the Texans' organization, my teammates, and our fans. My dedication to a championship season in 2010 continues undeterred."

13. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

gotta try to go 2-2 first 2 games.. hopefully a win against the dam COWBOYS! :cool:

14. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

sorry i meant the first 4 games!

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

DAMN. A pro bowler and defensive rookie of the year gone for 1/4 of the season. This sucks.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Cushing plays like he's willing to do anything to win, so it's not surprising that he trains the same way. His reputation is tainted and he has hurt the team. There's no way around it.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe I am being naive, but my thought is that surely he can't be stupid enough to take full-blown anabolic steroids. That stuff will do more harm than good in the long run.

Supposing he knowingly was taking a banned substance, I'd be shocked if it wasn't just some supplement among the numerous things out there these days. There are plenty of PED's that give guys an edge, so I'm sure that's what he was doing. It's probably safe to say he did know it was banned, but I just can't accept the fact that he would inject pure, anabolic steriods until it's proven.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

Well, it was stated in the espn link above

"he tested positive for a non-steroidal banned substance"

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

was it really? wow. i didn't watch the game last night so i missed it. interesting.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. i don't think people think pro wrestling and football are viewed the same in this country at all. wait, i know they're not.

2. what if this were peyton manning? i see lots of metaphorical (let's be clear here!!! :)) masturbation about peyton manning. The point about him being a linebacker sorta resonates with me, though.