1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry can't function without All-Star support; May be held out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Remlap, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Reiterates? That implies that the media has, at any point in time, even stated that once. They haven't. There is nothing on this Earth that would force the media to cave on their Anti-Harden narrative at this point. They are completely married to it, and are willing to lambaste and trash the man for anything and everything just to push their point, and drive up ratings. And honestly, it's the casual NBA Twitter ****boy that's to blame. They buy every basic, lazy, garbage narrative fed to them because it's all one big meme to them.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I don’t have to expound on his offensive performance - he’s proven time and time again how formidable and exceptional he is at offense. Do I have to put up stats for you? Nice cherry picking. Does it make you feel better being right about some semantic? What do you have to say about it then? Or do you just like to armchair and pick people apart. Grow up.

#82 banzai, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Much of this argument can be said of every warrior "star" in this era, besides KD. Steph, Draymond, Klay. haven't seemed capable of carrying a team as its lone star, if given only role players. But, if all three are healthy (plus iggy), that was a championship team. But let's also make very clear that Steph is the best warriors player and that every time Steph goes down, Draymond plays 1-2 games and then also gets "injured" until Steph comes back (though he's out longer this time). Just saying that in some weird way, Steph needs Klay (for his defensive inability/lack of endurance) and Draymond needs both or else he's useless.

So yes, in conclusion Harden has way higher capacity to carry teams like the original definition of superstar used to be, but given other all-stars and better role players, I don't think it's unfair to say Curry is better at maximizing his effectiveness. It's kind of the conundrum, where maybe if Harden had the teammates Curry had earlier in his career, his whole trajectory would have been different. But now that he's been used to carrying so much of the load, it's still very difficult for him to maximize his play with other stars. Some of that is his stubbornness, some of that is his insane carry potential (given extremely high usage rate) that he's developed for the last 3-5 years. But as much as Curry isn't, let's not denigrate the fact that when it matters, and both teams are as close to even as they can be, Curry is the better clutch shot maker. Harden hasn't proven he can make clutch shots in the playoffs (specifically against 2nd round and on opponents).

#83 HewbieTrippin, Nov 12, 2019
  4. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

But ... I still think we beat them last year if they don't have KD all series long. And Harden prob woulda pulled through. Just wished he woulda shown it when it mattered in that one game.

clutchdabear and don grahamleone like this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lakers main advantage was the 3-headed 7' monster of Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. Kobe could be argued best player, but that's debatable, and at least 5 other guards that same season could've won championships with those same three bigs.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Your condescending remarks toward Pau, Bynum and Odom do not cheapen how good they actually were. It's not my fault you've forgotten how much the game had changed.

Just because Bynum had a steep decline AFTER the championship runs doesn't mean he wasn't an absolute monster during.

18PPG for a second option is more than enough, especially when you take into account for Pau's passing ability. 14ppg off the bench is more than solid for an above average sixth man. Pau averaging 19 and 11 in the playoffs is apparently nothing special:rolleyes:

#86 BigggReddd, Nov 12, 2019
    clutchdabear and don grahamleone like this.
  7. mockster

mockster Member

They were good in not denying that, but they ain’t Kevin Durant, Steph curry or Klay Thompson

there not Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, there not KG, ray Allen, Paul pierce rondo

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Kevin Durant is a top 10 player of all time. Steph Curry is a top 5 PG of all time, and Klay Thompson is arguably the best shooter of all time.

Dwyane Wade won a championship as a #1 option, Pau is much better than prime Chris Bosh, Celtics Ray Allen and Rondo. Did you REALLY just list Rajon Rondo?

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

True. But him carrying the team into the playoffs came with a losing record and a sweep in the first round.

clutchdabear and BigggReddd like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  11. mockster

mockster Member

rajon rondo, ray Allen and Chris both are both better then gasol In their primes. Plus the others I listed.

12. mockster

mockster Member

Larry bird and Robinson played pf off and on

pau is no way better then AD r u kidding me?. Pau wishes he could put up the numbers AD has. Nor is he better then kemp or bosh. The stats don’t lie nor does the tape

13. don grahamleone

Andrew Bynum, Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher, AND Pau.. dude had a lot of help. Especially from Pau.

Year after add Ron Ron.

Give it up. You're not convincing any independent thinkers. Only people you're convincing are the ones that were convinced before they read your post.

clutchdabear and BigggReddd like this.
  14. mockster

mockster Member

Who’s saying he didn’t have help though?. Every player needs help all I’m saying is MJ and Kobe are guys who could score and carry teams. A lot of other players such as LEBRON demand stacked all star rosters

All of his teammates were high quality role players not stars outside of pau

you take Kobe off that team it’s not winning anything

you take a star ofF golden state they still will win with that core. We seen that with Steph green and Thompson before Durant

The end of the day bball is 5v5 and the other 4 players have to contribute but there are players who need less talent to succeed then others

#94 mockster, Nov 12, 2019
  15. don grahamleone

You named a center and a SF in your group of PFs. Try again. Plus I'd put Gasol about even with Webber and above McHale. McHale was like Curry in that he was successful while being surrounded by 5 other hall of famers on the same team.

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Dirk did it w/ Players outside their prime so it was certainly a good run too. I still think Olajuwons was a bit harder coming back multiple times in various series, and then being able to repeat it with Drexler the 2nd time for b2b as the 6th seed, Olajuwon was on a mission. I've never seen someone own the offensive and defensive end of the court like him during his career. I mean in that 2nd run after losing the MVP to Robinson, he basically made him look like a kid trying to defend him in the in the post.

Loved him taking care of Malone/Barkley/Ewing/Shaq during those 2 years too. Especially pissing the media off beating the Knicks during that first chip.

Don't get me wrong Dirk was special and even though I'm a biased Rockets fan (I was happy to watch him beat the Lakers and then beat the loaded Heat). With that said, it was great to watch the media cry again since the Mavericks broke the Heat. I'm not some secret Mavs fan but can respect what he did, and he certainly deserved it after that bs 06 series against the Heat.

17. mockster

mockster Member

I named a center and SF who also played PF many times and I still named 13.

Abs why isn’t pau like McHale then cuz he defiantly needs good players to succeed

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Ray Allen on the Celtics when he won a championship is not better than Pau Gasol. Only in his prime was he arguably a better player.

Rajon Rondo is one of the most cancerous stat padders in league history. Do you not remember how hard he was whoring to keep his 10 assist game streak alive? He wasn't at any point in his career considered the best PG in the league, but Pau on the other hand was at one point the best big man in the entire NBA.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

I'm with you on Dirk. I respect that man as much as I feared him in his prime. Great all time NBA player. It doesn't mean he's in Olajuwon's echelon, but he deserves a pedestal of his own. Olajuwon put fear into the great Jordan. Why? Because he was better than Jordan and Jordan knew it.

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

PauandKobe.jpg

:rolleyes:

Give LeBron that Lakers team or, you know, Shaquille O'Neal and he's doing exactly what Kobe did and probably even more.