1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Currently on NBA TV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JMAD21, Sep 6, 2017.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Rockets legends Ryan Bowen, Bobby Sura, and David Wesley help Houston tak a 2-0 lead over the Mavs..

Also, Tmac and Yao in their prime. JVG on the sidelines. Good memories!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I've been watching as well. Great game. It still pisses me off we went up 2-0 on the road then lost three in a row.

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Yep.

Drives me crazy that no one talks about this series when the Donaghy stuff comes up. Series was rigged!

Tfor3, CCity Zero and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. OTMax

OTMax Member

i wish i could stop watching the NBA, because who knows what else goes on behind the scenes..we know it's crooked and the league is doing nothing to punish referees for blatant favoritism and poor job performance. Knowing you are watching a sport that is disingenuous and corrupt, much like the whole world of FIFA (soccer) somehow does not really bother a lot of people. If it would and we would massively stop supporting the league, maybe we could make a change. Arrgghhh..

P.S. How does it work with hiring and firing referees? Seems like all of them have a contract for life and can perform any kind of way and decide when they went to stop...

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The refs had nothing to do with the game 7 no show by the Rockets.
    Refs can't rig missed buckets and bad offense.

The whole JVG offense of heavily relying on Tmac and Yao and surround them with defensive role players didn't work.

It worked for JVG with the Knicks and JVG wanted the Rockets to be the Knicks.
    We got Patrick Ewing as our assistant coach.

Yes the Donaghy is a stain on the series. But we weren't good enough to win it all, this was later proven by the horrible playoff record with Yao/Tmac and JVG. I lump them together.

Refs didn't make Jason Terry hit every bucket at Toyota center.

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I never said we would have won it all. But every single game of that series had terrible officiating. Sure, it didn't matter in game 7, but the series should've been over.

My only point is that this was one of the two playoff series' that's Donaghy effed with, but nobody ever talks about it.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody talks about lots of bad calls in the playoffs, they only remember the results.

The Rockets got screwed over in 1992-93 vs Seattle . Could have setup Rockets vs Bulls.

don grahamleone and skroodup25 like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hate watching this series...we had them

this series was more painful than the 2014 Blazers series IMO

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They have a referee union, I think.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories of referee corruption. That's not to say that single actors can and have effected the game, but for the most part, the officials can only do so much. I think it's just a difficult game to ref in real time and they make many mistakes. I don't believe you will ever remove human error from the equation, so it's about minimizing those types of calls. Best option is to have an extra one or two refs.

Also, refs need to stop blowing the whistle after a reaction. If you don't see the foul, but you see blood, don't call the foul. You missed it. Don't assume anything. That's what bothers me the most and that's why flopping is so prevalent. I'd rather see no calls than reactionary calls.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Well, we know how Yao was called differently and targeted. We know there were some terrible calls like Finley out of bounds. We know the referees and league office can be influenced by an owner. We know plenty of individuals who have serious bias and personal issues, like in Crawford who magically was allowed to return and retire on his own terms. We know the league doesn't allow criticism, in fact punishes. We know JVG got ****ed when he spoke out. These are all signs pointing towards the league and referees union or whatever being disingenuous and lack integrity, transparency and accountability. What else you need?

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Physical evidence, not circumstantial. I don't believe it was a conspiracy against Yao. I believe the league genuinely didn't know to referee the guy because flopping had become so prevalent and when you run into a 310 pounder, you tend to fly back. As you can see from my post, I know there are terrible calls, and most of them, I believe, are based off of the ref calling fouls on the reaction instead of what they physically see. I don't believe they are doing it to have a certain team win or a certain player perform better -- though I do think they give the benefit of the doubt to big name star players. Not sure what you're seeing in the Crawford retiring and returning situation. Yah, the league doesn't accept public criticism, nor do many companies from their employees...

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I still remember watching Game 7 of that series and wondering how we ever thought that team would be successful.

McGrady and Yao combined for 60 points in that Game 7. The rest of the team COMBINED scored 16...

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Crazy!

14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Blaming the refs is a cop out. Blame on line sports gambling. You do not need to go to vegas to bet. You can bet on your home team from your couch.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Dude, just stop trying to argue everything!

People DO talk about bad officiating nearly every time that Lakers/Kings series is mentioned. And it bothers me that they don't bring up this series because Donaghy admitted that refs favored the Mavs. Thats literally my only point!

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm not going to apologize to people who don't more than me about Rockets history

You act like I wasn't on this board when this crap happened

That lakers series people just remembered Horry hitting the 3

Nobody remembers each individual foul

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Mind blown...

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What are you even talking about!? I haven't questioned your Rockets history knowledge or tried to prove any of mine! And nothing I've said is historically incorrect.

You just argue for the sake of arguing! I don't think you even care what you're responding to, you just have to argue!

Go ask any NBA fan to talk about Donaghy and they'll mention that series every time. While the Rockets/Mavs series gets overlooked. That's a fact! And it bothers me. That's the only point being made. It's not even up for debate. Keep your arrogant ass opinions to yourself. You don't get to argue what bothers me by spouting off Rockets history.

You're seriously the worst/most annoying poster I've ever seen on any message board! You make Clutchfans worse! I wish you were born in Utah!

19. tinman

Supporting Member

You said the series was rigged, how do you know it wasn't one game for one point spread.
    Yes also Michael Finley was out of bounds. The world was against the Rockets, but that's not new dude.

99ers make Clutchfans pure
    wishing does you no good

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's a horrible thing to say about someone. I think you should take it back.