1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cuban fined .............again

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tacoma park legend, Apr 13, 2001.

1. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

He was suspended for today's Kings/Mavs games and fined 100,000 bucks for an obscene gesture towards the ref in the Mavs loss versus Phoenix.

Aren't these fines a little much?

------------------

2. djbacklash

djbacklash Member

Being fined $100k for making a choking sign towards the ref is ridiculous. Players get stuck with $5-10k fines for throwing punches and fighting, while Cuban gets tagged with a $100k fine for being a rowdy fan. That's balance.

------------------
    Dallas-Mavs.com

3. tacoma park legend

Exactly. I could understand them tagging him with a 5-15 thousand dollar fine, but 100 thousand?! If it was any other owner, I doubt the fine would be this hefty...

------------------

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

maybe his stupid self needs to realize to quit acting like a 15 year old. He is the owner of an NBA franchise and needs to start acting like one.

------------------

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I suppose I missed the edition of Proper Etiquette for Owners of Sports Franchises.

He acts no different than I would in his place. Except for when he charged the court, that was stupid.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

6. Michael Finley

I agree that the fines are way to large. But as for him being immature...he's just extrmemly involved. He loves his teawm and thinks that he should voice his opinion if something is done wrong to them. Personaly...I don't see why everyone in basketball hates him so much.

------------------
    -Flying Tiger-

[This message has been edited by Michael Finley (edited April 14, 2001).]

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Like sitting up in the rafters looking down on his peons while sipping on champagne and hobbing his knob with other aristocracy?

Pfftt...

We have enough of those losers. Cuban is a fan and I'm glad he shows emotion like a fan. Screw Stern, that effin' android gnome!

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hey I dont hate the guy. I think he is really good for the Mavs. I just think he needs to tone down on all of his stupid antics. He is just starving for some attention.

------------------

9. tacoma park legend

I actually think he's come a long way in toning it down. I remember last year, when we played against Dallas here and Walt got thrown out for going at Bradley, Cuban was going CRAZY! Any of you remember that game? It was awesome. Steve, Cat, and Mooch had a dun contest during the game while they were sorting out who would shoot the technicals, and the rockets guards were playing keepaway with Finley.

------------------

10. KD

KD Member

I will have Cuban over Paul Allen any time. I wouldn't mind if Cuban buys Rockets as well.

------------------

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

He's a cool guy and wants to give his team the world. Since he is freakin' loaded, he doesnt care about the fines and stuff, unitl it hurts the Mavs morale (which it hasnt thus far). Sure he needs to grow the hell up, we all do. Its like getting a speeding ticket. Do we learn from paying a fine and taking defensive driving? For most people no, because there is always a reason to speed again.....Same theory applies for Cuban.

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

12. rocketfish

rocketfish Member

but guys.........how much does cuban earn again???

he would take this as a measly slap on the wrist
    it would be like a normal man being fined 50 bucks........

------------------
    "A Champion team will always beat a team of Champions"

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think anybody (or many people) in the NBA hates Cuban. Just because you fine someone exorbitantly doesn't mean you dislike them. As for the size of the fine: if it's not at least this big you may as well not even do it because Cuban won't notice it under 6 figures. They did start his fines out small, but he's broken the rules so many times, they've increased the punishment for being a repeat offender. And finally, there must be a Proper Etquette for Team Owners because it's obvious the NBA has the legal right to fine Cuban for his actions and expect him to pay. If Cuban genuinely doesn't like it (and I don't think he actually minds that much), he can help vote Stern out at the next Board Meeting. The important thing to note, imo, is that the owners are a self-regulated body. They don't have to hold themselves to these rules; they choose to.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

it's guys like Cuban and Philly's owner Pat Croce that make their teams exciting. their energy transfers into the players.

------------------
    "Playing with Steve makes my job so much easier, "He's such a complete player. He has some great moves and shoots from the outside and in the post. We communicate well on the floor." - Hakeem Olajuwon

"It's great to have that inside-outside balance," Francis said. "We've tried to get that all season, with Hakeem and me clicking at the same time.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I guess you've never yelled or made any physical gestures at a ref/unmpire for making a bad call?

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

16. RocketsFanFromLa

I think that Mark Cuban is a great owner. He is better than a 80 year old billionaire that only cares about making money. Cuban is great for the NBA. Stern just to stuck up.

------------------

Really a member since
    March 1999.