1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban admits to Tanking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DFWRocket, May 17, 2017.

?

When is it okay to purposely lose games?

1. It's always ok to tank for a better future

2. It's Okay to tank once you've been eliminated from playoff contention

3. It's never okay because people paid money to see the stars play and the team to win games

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Semi tank....poor execution at that.

If you were to tank, start from Game 1 and not halfway through the season.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Doc Rivers left Celts as he do not want to be part of a rebuilding job.
    Celts have now reach the conference finals before Doc did.

Guess what, Celtics did not tank. Still cannot understand why teams try to tank when the last team that tank and finally win the championship is Spurs years and years ago.

3. what

what Member

You're dumb, and anybody worrying about tanking more than they care about super teams is dumb. Everybody's perfectly fine with the hot teams/players manipulating the system but far be it for the bottom feeders to tank, we can't have that.

Also, the playoffs are a joke. They should just skip the formalities and play a best of 9 games with LeBron and kd and curry. Stop with the charade.

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Did you already forget how Morey acquired Harden?

5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Our very own rockets tanked hard for Hakeem. Spurs tanked for Robinson and Duncan and it gave them 20 plus years of being awesome. The 2007 celtics tanked hard and it gave them assets to get KG and win the title in 2008. The warriors tanked relentlessly in 2012 so they could keep their pick which turned into Harrison Barnes who was key in 2015. Don't forget the cavs tanking in 2003 to get Lebron the first time. The celtics did a stealth tank in 2013-14 such as playing rondo against a hard team they could not beat and then resting him against a easy team on back to backs.

You assume all risks when tanking but if it's worth it you should go for it. Don't you Think the lakers are happier keeping this pick and the 2019 pick as opposed to going all out for a 35 win season and losing this pick and 2019 pick?

slothy420 and malakas like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

I'm fine with tanking. As long as very young players aren't on purpose being left off "injured" when they can play and develop.

I also didn't like what tanking teams did with the cap manipulation to get out of reaching the floor but now with the new CBA they took care of it.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sam Hinkie had a banner raised for his sacrifice to Philly.

Swiss Roll and ramotadab like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you going to TANK
    Then give the FANS some of their money back

Rocket River

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Management giving younger players more PT once the season is lost has happened in all sports forever. You know those guys are playing hard because they're competing for their future. Players tanking/throwing games is the huge no-no.

The Mavs did the former. I don't see a problem with it.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Pfft, my man Roc Divers is still cold runnin' the break!

11. rockets13champs

Paul George ain't getting traded man.

Only guy who might get traded like that is Russell. No one trading their guys like Harden right now

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Why? If you're an everyday fan you should know if your team is tanking or not and it's your decision to buy tickets to see them play. And let's face it, many of the people who buy the expensive tickets don't really care because they're either corporate folk who have no connection to the teams or just casual fans of the game. I doubt most of them care or even remember the records of the teams in those games, if they even remember the teams at all.

13. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Hey, what, I know your team lost and all and so did mine and that sucks but that's how it goes. The NBA could use more parity, sure. But it's not going to happen and it doesn't matter how many times you repeat this nonsense in every thread because it won't change a thing. You either make the conscious decision to stop watching it and move on with your life or keep watching it and stop complaining about it here because its getting old. Thanks.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mark Cuban says it would be best for 18-40 Mavs to keep losing

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban calls tanking "brutal" but acknowledged that he told his team that it would be best to lose for the rest of the 2017-18 season.

Cuban told Julius Irving on the House Call with Dr. J podcast that he shared that sentiment with the team recently.

"I'm probably not supposed to say this, but, like, I just had dinner with a bunch of our guys the other night, and here we are, you know, we weren't competing for the playoffs. I was like, 'Look, losing is our best option,'" Cuban said on the podcast. "Adam [Silver] would hate hearing that, but I at least sat down and I explained it to them. And I explained what our plans were going to be this summer, that we're not going to tank again. This was, like, a year-and-a-half tanking, and that was too brutal for me. But being transparent, I think that's the key to being kind of a players owner and having stability."

In May, Cuban said the Mavericks looked to lose as much as they could at the end of last season once the team was out of postseason contention. Dallas finished with the ninth-worst record in the NBA and didn't improve its draft position through the lottery.

This season, the Mavericks (18-40) have the third-worst record in the NBA entering Tuesday but are among a logjam of seven teams with fewer than 20 wins. The team with the worst record will have a 25 percent chance of making the No. 1 pick in June's draft.

Starting with the 2019 draft, the three teams with the worst records will share a 14 percent chance of getting the No. 1 overall pick, lessening the incentive to lose at the end of the season.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Any team admitting to tanking or encouraging it should lose their draft pick.

I don't have a problem with tanking. It usually doesn't work out. Teams that constantly tank are prime pickings to poach their young players through FA and trades. Let players develop on teams that tank. Its better than drafting them on well stacked teams and the young talent not getting playing time.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I like the transparency. If I was a mavericks fan then I would be happy that mark cuban was upfront with his fanbase.

There are so many teams that tank and just blatantly lie to their fanbase about what their plan is moving forward.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Soneca

Soneca Member

The draft rules are "fair" in a naive world that simply doesn't exist. It's obvious that if someone gives you benefits for loosing you won't try to win. It's as simply as that. In football (meh, soccer, I know...), which is absolutely different and cannot be mirrored by US sports, the worst teams are usually the more desperate ones to win every by the end of the season, as they're fighting against relegation, the worst thing that can happen to a pro team. Imagine not having the Rox in the NBA for an entire season? So you'll see the bottom teams beating the top ones just because of urgency, and it's very thrilling to watch.

It's tricky to come up with a formula that would give the worst teams something to really fight for until the end, if you don't have relegation. Something that could be done would be distributing odds to non-playoff teams according to their record against playoffs teams. But that could still make the fight for the eighth seed less attractive, as one team could hypothetically have the best odds to get the top seed as the first team out off the playoffs or a guaranteed non lottery pick by getting to the post season just to be swept by the Rockets. So, yeah, wouldn't work as well. At least I'm not creating rules in the NBA.

Very complicated to fix that but the league must create a way to ensure that teams have an incentive to win every game until the end. A team simply cannot be favored by loosing, it's stupid. It's not sports, it's business. I'd hate to see us tanking, really hate. I love to watch the Rockets play and root for them, I wouldn't want to watch them deliberately trying to loose. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I'd rather be fighting for the eighth spot with the Dragics and Lowrys (we'd be a fun of a team had we kept them) than for the best odds to get the first pick with a bunch of G-Leaguers embarrassing themselves against real pros.

Other than that, the thing that I'd love the most would be having Harden and Paul and Capela and Ariza and EGo and LMM and the whole bunch winning the chip this year by beating KD's and Curry's and Donkey's sorry ass.

IvanLCPM and RasaqBoi like this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Cleaning house wasn't an option, and Dirk isn't 'done' even now. He's no longer a star player, but he's still effective. Dirk has a no trade clause, and only wanted to play for the Mavs...how would you suggest 'cleaning house'? Plus, look at their roster over the years...they 'cleaned house' just about every year for the past 4 or 5 years, often bringing in 11 or 12 new faces.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm fine with tanking, i'd just force a relocation...or maybe better some sort of heavy tax for teams tanking for more than 2/3 years. Abortion like Phoenix and Orlando should never happen.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

I'd deny since he'll get fined for the comment I'd imagine