1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CTG] rebirth of the post up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 5, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

2. durvasa

Sorry for duplicate. Please delete or lock thread.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...Long live Hakeem Olajuwon

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Like I always say... sports is a balance... a ballet between what the defense is doing in correlation to how to best attack it...
    Thats why stubborn and unwavering commitments to one specific style are stupid and shortsighted... the defense is going to make adjustments... you better be ready to adjust your offense accordingly...

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correct. That and solid defense are the keys to an NBA Championship.

RyanB, kjayp and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I said this **** months ago. Mike’s been posting up Harden, CP and and Joe for a while. It’s a wrinkle to force double teams.

You’ll see it it a lot in the playoffs

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This isn't what the article is about though. The article is showing specific plays/sets that the Rockets (and a few other teams) are running where the ball goes into the post and then passes out. All the off-ball movement is designed for passes out of the post that lead to layups or threes. Actually taking the shot from the post is never an option, it's all about making plays out of the post.

RyanB and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

I said “to force double teams”. That means it’s a way to free up shooters for wide open shots.

RyanB and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. harold bingo

Supporting Member

That's still not what the article is about, none of these sets require or assume the player in the post is drawing double teams. The post player doesn't even dribble the ball, or make any moves indicating that he's trying to score. The author is showing that the value in post play is all about off ball movement and passes that rely on post positioning, not drawing double teams from the threat of scoring.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If the ball is in the paint, does it really matter how it got there?

Not really.

11. harold bingo

Supporting Member

What do you mean? I'm not sure what you're saying.

HakeemOnlyFan and hakeem94 like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

When have you seen players post up without dribbling the ball to set up for a closer shot to the rim?
    The simple act of just back down a defender without the ball doesn't force teams to play help defense or allow cutters.

I’ll wait to see an example of “posting up” without actually posting up....

13. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I'm talking about the plays that are shown in the article. There are videos, but if you can't watch them, I can describe it. Harden/CP3 run to the block or the elbow, or somewhere in between, and stand there with their back to the basket calling for the ball. They get the ball, and then stand still while a bunch of off ball movement happens (there are a lot of variations of this movement), and then they pass to someone for an open 3 or open layup. There is no dribbling, no threat of scoring in the post, no backing down the defender, and no help defense on the ball handler in any of the plays.

HakeemOnlyFan, BigMaloe, Kim and 2 others like this.
  14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yeah it's about the use of the post as a sort of focal point from which other plays can be run, not necessarily in scoring from the post. Very nice read though.

HakeemOnlyFan, BigMaloe, Kim and 2 others like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, spacing is in many ways inverting the post to get passers down there.

Btw, imo, Article is recycling news from their confirmation bias research to prove Dan D'Antoni wrong. That's what coaches get for lecturing the media.

fwiw: The 1st GSW video is 3 years old. The second one shows one play. Yes, when the Warriors had Bogut, you play him like Portland and UCLA played Walton, because he's such a great passer. And when he throws back to perimeter he went out to lay some moving butt picks for Curry. I just wanted to add that Warriors without Bogut no longer really run that. With Durant, their goto post action is more standard lost-post isolation. Nothing wrong with that, he loved to do that at OKC, too. The amount of times GSW posts Durant is probably equal to his OKC days, and similar clear-outs. Melo still posts, Lebron posts, etc.

So, that article is basically antiquated Bogut-era sets at GSW or film of Mike D'Antonio and Ben Simmons. That's awesome!!! haha

Koperboy likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Reading the comments in this thread make me wonder if I'm reading the same article as half the posters here, or if people just comment without actually reading. So many of the comments make no sense given how I read the article and watched the clips.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you. This is what I was telling/teaching you @Tankeio

You big dummy.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Works best when an offense have a good shooter with a quick release and/or nice step back shot like Curry, CP3
    and Harden do. This forces defense to switch instead of fighting to go under or over a screen.

Warriors force a defensive switch and the go to town with a post up while using a taller player like
    Livingston on a smaller PG (teams don’t like to guard Livingston with a smaller PG because they know
    he towers over them in the post). Durant vs a smaller PG. West on a smaller PG. You have to send
    help defense or get that PG abused over and over again.

Rockets force a switch, or CP3/Harden will nail that step back 3. From that arraignment go into iso
    against the big center. Draw defensive help, which opens up 3-pt shooters (Kick outs).

With Harden/CP3 in the post. Things happen thru movement. Joe has the capabilities to do this
    to a greater extent......if allowed to knock off the rust completely, that is.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's a third video with 3 clips from this year, there's a 4th video with 4 clips from this year, and there's a 5th video about leveraging the threat of the post up. Why are you being weird? They're just arguing that offense from the post isn't dead.

HakeemOnlyFan and harold bingo like this.
  20. durvasa

And it had nothing to do with proving Dan D’antoni wrong, IMO.

harold bingo likes this.