1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CSN- Humble Hopkins OK after quiet game

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 4, 2013.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DeAndre Hopkins’ first catch against the Seahawks didn’t come until there was under a minute remaining in the fourth quarter. He finished with just two catches for 27 yards.

Hopkins was the NFL’s offensive Rookie of the Month for September but against the Seahawks, Matt Schaub didn’t look his way. And that didn’t bother the team-first 21-year-old from Clemson.

As long as we’re winning or losing, I don’t really care,” Hopkins said on Thursday. “I’m not the one calling the game plan. If blocking is what I have to do, then that’s what I want to contribute and do.”

Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison wasn’t able to say if the reason Hopkins didn’t get the ball was because of tight coverage from the Seattle secondary. Dennison claimed Schaub was just distributing the ball where it needed to go. On Sunday, that meant to Andre Johnson and the tight ends.

“We put them all in the right spot and if they’re in the right spot then Matt will find the right one,” Dennison said.

And while he’d certainly like to catch passes, not getting the ball is OK with Hopkins. The rookie doesn’t like to talk about himself. Even when asked about winning the first monthly award for offensive rookies, Hopkins said it would mean more if the team was winning.

“It’s great, but I’m here to win football games,” he said. “The personal accolades really don’t mean that too much to me.”

Hopkins admitted that he has many areas of his game to improve – so many that he couldn’t narrow it down. And that’s what has head coach Gary Kubiak excited about Hopkins; he’s already this good and has room to improve.

Hopkins didn’t come into the season with any numerical goals in mind but four games in, he might smash some of the outside projections. He has 20 catches for 270 yards and a touchdown. He’s the ninth player since 1960 to put up those numbers four games in. He’s the first in the league since 2008 and the first Texan to do it since Andre Johnson in 2002.

So, the 27th-overall pick is off to a good start. Even if he got bottled up last week.

“It was a great challenge,” he said. “Those two great DBs, they gave us a tough challenge. You’re not going to see too much better, talent-wise, than those two guys and the secondary that we went against. So it was a great challenge.”

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/humble-hopkins-ok-after-quiet-game