1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crying immigrant girl on Time magazine cover was never separated from her mom, father says

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I still have Time Magazines from the 1960's that I found at the top of a closet while emptying the old family castle in SE Houston. There were far fewer images, a lot more pages, and lengthy articles, along with an opinion piece sometimes. It hasn't been that in like forever. The covers were a big deal. Time was the premier mass weekly in the country and had been for decades. It's weird, but it wouldn't be unusual for a newspaper to have an piece about a Time cover, along with an image of the cover. Talk about influence and free publicity! My late mother had a subscription as long as I can remember, and after I moved out, she'd save them for my next visit. I still have several. This one is famous:

[​IMG]

2. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Man, just imagine how shitty this country would be right now, if Trump's administration was as incompetent as the Democrats claim. Imagine the economy being in shatters, unemployment levels rising, North Korea pursuing nuclear weapons unfettered, ISIS killing people at will, the government spying on you, etc.

mick fry likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I must be getting confused... are you describing the trump/republican admin and congress right now?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby, if you can't see why it's immoral, I'm not going to waste my time trying to teach you morality. You obviously aren't in touch with the actual facts and don't want to acknowledge them or deal with them.

As long as you pretend like this has been the policy for previous administrations and that it compares with arrests of American citizens with children, then you aren't dealing with the reality in which everyone but you resides. It has been posted with multiple articles linked showing why Trump's policy is different than other administrations, and you just won't accept those facts. I can't make you, nor do I have any real interest in getting you to accept facts.

No Worries likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Wait, do you really believe that Obama had the same policy regarding separating children from their families as the Trump administration? There are links to numerous articles showing why it isn't the same at all.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, so now we've established that you believe separating parents from their children while detaining them for breaking the law is immoral....so where do we go from here? We should, I guess, assume that you believed that the policy was immoral the past 21 years that it was in place, so why did you say nothing about it till now?

We know for a fact that in 1997 the policy of separating families of illegal immigrants who are detained pending criminal charges was put into place and it remains in place today.....that's not something that can be disputed despite the fact that you continue to try by outright lying about it. The ONLY change that the Trump administration made was to enforce the law more often and there's no amount of propaganda or lies that you can post that will get around that fact.

We also know, and it cannot be disputed, that when American citizens are detained pending criminal charges they are separated from their children....there's no taking your kids with you to county.....so if you insist on taking the stance that separating families is immoral, what do you propose to stop it from happening to American citizens when they go to jail?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You haven't established anything.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of your links show what you are suggesting that they show and that's the problem. The Obama administration did have a different policy than the Trump administration, but that difference was that the Obama administration had a policy of only rarely enforcing the law which led to fewer separated families and the Trump administration had a zero tolerance policy that sought to ALWAYS enforce the law and that led to more separated families.

No amount of spin or outright lying is going to change those facts. Separating families was something set in place in 1997, not by the Trump administration.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, okay, fine.....so would you like to now claim that separating families while detaining the parents for criminal violations isn't immoral? You can't sit on the fence here and have it both ways.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's also not forget that this entire thread is about Time magazine getting caught publishing fake news in an effort to further DNC propaganda. I think we can lose focus on that when we discuss the larger issues and it's important to note that in this day and age, there's no news source that is beyond outright lying for political purposes.

Of the changes that need to be made in the country, I look at that as one of the most important areas.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It will be interesting to see if you still feel that way when Trump moves to appeal Judge Gee's (Appointed by Barack Obama) expected decision to require that these children be separated from their jailed illegal immigrant parents after 20 days.

Trump will be championing the unification of those families, and if you are as dedicated to this "morality" as you are currently claiming to be, then you will be siding with Trump to overturn this outdated and obsolete 'consent decree,' which requires this separation.

I will believe it when I see it.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, I'm against Trumps attempt to go around the law by EO just like I was against it when the same attempt was rejected when Obama tried it. If you want the law to change, you have to go through congress.

Let's face it, no one is actually against families being separated while the parents are in jail, they have just been told to pretend like they are against it right now by DNC propaganda.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Your brain is broken.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There is no legislated law that requires these children be separated from their parents. This 20 day requirement is based on a judicial consent decree, which Judge Gee (Appointed by Barack Obama) has the authority to overturn, if she is willing.

Also, since they all need to be detained pending deportation, there is no compelling reason why they should be separated, if the illegal immigration charge is the only charge of concern, and there are no felony charges.

Ideally what would happen here is that they would be judicially processed and deported within 7-10 days, so there would generally be no need to be concerned about any of this. That would be the "moral" and responsible approach here, but of course the Democrats are actively obstructing any efforts to legislatively implement the changes that would result in this easily happening.

#114 MojoMan, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, blame the Democrats for obstruction and not the President himself or the GOP that can't find a compromise amongst themselves.

You're so fair and neutral here.

Maybe come back and blame the Dems when the GOP has actually decided what bill they are going to vote on?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well....that's partially true. I went back and double checked everything and it wasn't a law in 1997 that set the policy, it was actually a court case that established that children could not be held for more than 20 days if their parents are being detained for criminal proceedings. Based on that, if you are charging the parents, you have to separate the children into a separate facility or release them to relatives.

So while, yes, there's no law mandating that it happen, in order to follow the judicial ruling you have to separate families practically speaking. The only way to get around that judicial ruling is for congress to step in and thus far they haven't.

I agree that in a perfect world you'd be able to process and deport everyone in a week, but the government never does anything competently or efficiently so I think that's probably too much to ask without boosting staffing levels.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not on a team Trump or Team Obama's judge. I'm on the team that believes the parents and children should stay together. You don't know what the judge will decide or what Trump will do afterward.

If Trump goes to fix the problem that he created then I will be on his side for that part of it. I will be as dedicated then as I am now. When Trump gave veterans more choice with their medical coverage with one of his moves, I was in favor of that knowing that it was Trump's initiative that created that.

If Trump backs away further from his initial disaster of a plan, I will be on his side again.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt he'll back away from his plan to prosecute those who illegally enter the country, but he has tried to go around the 1997 ruling that children could not be detained with their parents while waiting criminal proceedings for more than 20 days. The court is very unlikely to go along with his attempt to do so just like they went against Obama's attempt to do so in 2014. I think there's no hope for any kind of legislative fix with deadlock among Republicans and Democrats refusing to engage so that they can use it as a political weapon. Due to that, I'm not sure what can be done honestly.

Maybe they could expedite the prosecution and deportation of those with children in order to get the process handled within 20 days. That could work.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Or they could simply use ankle bracelets which is cheaper and has over a 90% rate for showing up to the hearings.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that would be one solution too....but if we're talking about those who are caught before they get settled in here, wouldn't giving them an ankle bracelet and releasing them to fend for themselves be the cruel thing to do? At least in detention they have access to food, water, shelter, and medicine.

Releasing those who are well established here already with an ankle monitor could be a thing to do though.