1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Crow] Peyton Manning's Comeback

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Peyton Manning is Back and Killing It

1. I told you so! Idiots!

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Crow is chewy and tastes like dirt

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. I got a free pizza from Papa Johns!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can't ignore Peyton's incredible season and pretend that I wasn't spending the entire season calling him finished. I know I'm not alone here, or in general.

Manning is somehow not only just back, not only back in the elite, but he is probably having the best season among QBs this season and possibly his best season in his career......all while building a rapport with a new team, new corps of receivers, and a completely different playing environment (dome to open air in windy high altitude).

Halfway through the season....

Leads the league in QBR
    Leads the league in Completion %
    Leads the League in Yards per Attempt
    #3 in Passing TDs
    t-#3 in Passing Yards per Game

On Pace for....
    Highest Completion % of his Career
    Highest Passing Yards of his Career
    2nd best QBR of his career
    2nd Highest Passing TDs of his Career
    3rd Highest YPA of his Career

Again, all this while recovering from a damaged nerve and atrophied triceps. All while getting to learn the tendencies and timing of his new receivers.

[​IMG]

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I kept reading reports suggesting he SHOULD NOT be playing football. When those were coming out, I was assuming they were true and that he shouldn't. But I didn't really doubt his abilities if healthy.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He has been stellar. Especially in light of the fact that his receiving corps. is just not up to par compared to what he has played with in Indy.

I'm concerned about the Texans playing them in the playoffs.

4. Major

Major Member

People consistently underestimate the power of modern medicine.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i hate crow, but the man has made me look silly. i'd love the chance to knock him out of the playoffs though.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Said it before and will say again: They may be the team most likely to win at Houston in the playoffs.

If the Texans don't make the Super Bowl, I'm pulling for the Broncos this year.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's been great, no question about it, but this isn't his best season. He's being forced to do more and improvise on the fly. Just because he used audible to runs in the redzone doesn't mean he wasn't better in the past. There's more to this than just stats.

But yeah, he's still amazing.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, he's doing MUCH better than I predicted during the offseason. I didn't think he'd still be healthy at this point, much less leading the league in QB rating.

Suffice to say, I am eating crow at this point.

That being said.......

1. I'm still okay with the Texans not going after him this past offseason. I'm pretty happy with Schaub.
    2. I'm not scared of the Broncos. Bring them to Reliant in January and let us finally get some revenge for all those years of him abusing us.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Decker would make any QB look good. Peyton didnt even throw 5 tds last year. Now look.

10. David Stern

David Stern Member

Still no clue why he didn't roll with the 49ers...man that could be the greatest team that never was. Oh and Randy Moss still has something left in the tank and i imagine he would be a much bigger part of the offense had Peyton gone there.

11. David Stern

David Stern Member

I think i heard something about not wanting to be in the same conference as his little bro but that's gay.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I always thought he was going to produce.

What I find interesting is how many people were questioning him through the first 4-5 weeks. Even when he was doing ok, all you could hear was about how his balls were ducks, the arm strength wasn't there, and he was just getting lucky with a lot of his throws

I don't think much has changed. But because he's continued to produce, people have stopped trying to nitpick and find holes that aren't holes. (He's never had the tightest spiral, but for some reason people were trying to use that as justification for saying "he's still hurt" early in the year)

13. Raven

Raven Member

Bill Simmons called him noodle arm.

:rolleyes:

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I can think of 90 million reasons. It is not about the money except it is always about the money. The only guy who took less to win was lebron and he got killed for it.

15. David Stern

David Stern Member

But what does he need an extra $90mil with all that papa john's dough he's rolling in:grin:

16. David Stern

David Stern Member

Bill Simmons is the master of Hyperbole

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He did take less, but barely.

18. Major

Major Member

SF might not have been willing to give him free reign of the offense. Harbaugh is an offensive guy and is a bit of a control freak, so I'm not sure how he'd do with letting Peyton do whatever he wants. Manning is perfect with a defensive coach because the coach can just focus on defense and having Manning do his thing.

19. Major

Major Member

Lots of people take less to win a championship, especially late in their careers. But most haven't won one before, and it doesn't always work. Examples include Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Charles Barkley, all the random veterans joining the Miami Heat, etc.

But I agree - in 98% of cases, a free agent just takes the max money he's offered.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

in this case, a TON of so-called experts did, too. This one's on everyone who thought they saw something in this throws/arm when it wasn't there