1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crock pot recipe thread, anyone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Sep 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Oh so it's ok if it's an Korean dish and beef ribs with an authentic recipe?

Sir, You or your crockpot are racist! :eek: :p

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

mmm...its that time of year...i'm simple, but I do cook the meat first, then add the veggies about halfway through it...

my former boss started me to add grape jelly among the other spices/seasonings I use...pretty easy dish...

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

My wife makes a crock pot Shoyu chicken similar to the following...

- 3/4 cup brown sugar
    - 1/2 cup vinegar
    - 3/4 cup soy sauce
    - 1 teaspoon ginger
    - 1 teaspoon garlic
    - 1 1/2 cups water
    - 8 - 12 pieces skinless chicken thighs

1 Mix all ingredients, except chicken, in a bowl and mix.
    2 Place chicken in a crock pot and pour sauce on top.
    3 Cook on low heat for about six hours, stirring occasionally.

Very simple and very tasty. She will usually substitute the thighs with legs. The chicken easily falls off the bone. Excellent with sticky rice and some sort of vegetable.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I torn. Am I dating an asian (for 5 years almost to the day) bc they're really really ridiculously good looking, or for the food? Surely it can't be both.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Maybe it's because they have those petite, trim little bodies that you just wanna split wide open?

.....nah..

(and stop calling me Shirley)

1 person likes this.
  6. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Rep you on this one...

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i didn't know we were discussing **** pots???

1 person likes this.
  8. droxford

droxford Member

9. Asian Sensation

LOL... I was looking over your original post and and your reply and I guess your right. I really can't knock your recipe till I try it.

It's just that when you mentioned babyback rib's and no mention of smoke, rub, sauce, or even grill for that matter I freaked out because I only know how to cook pork ribs 2 ways... Smoked or grilled.

1 person likes this.
  10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I just got a 6 quart crockpot at Target yesterday and looking forward to try out this recipe during the weekend. Got a few 'stupid' questions though.

-Will 6 quart crockpot be able to hold the amount of ingredients you specified in the recipe?
    -did you brown the meat in a pan first? When do you season the meat?
    -How did you insert the garlic into the meat? cut a slit then just stuff it in there?
    -How big of a bag of corn?

Thanks for the help!

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

No problem.

Mine is a 1.25 gallon, so yes, that should be enough space. You'll have to eye it a bit while you're putting it all together with regard to how many veggies you're piling into the bottom, though. As long as the lid fits on top, you'll be fine.

I have never done this. Based on what others have said in this thread, I think I'll have to try it next time.

Whenever, though maybe some dry-rub experts here have a different opinion? I season the meat before I put it into the top of the pot itself (which I then have in the fridge overnight, followed by putting it on the next morning for 12 hours). I'm also very liberal with my seasonings, so you might want to start with less; you can always add more later. I usually use Cavender's or Tony Cachere's or sometimes just salt and pepper.

That's exactly what I do, though I don't do this every time as it might serve to dry out the roast a bit (though it was fine the other night). If I don't do it this way, I'll mince or chop several cloves and put them into the pot after the veggies. Either way, garlic goes into the mix.

I don't consider the corn as an essential ingredient, but it adds to the flavor. I usually buy a small-ish bag of frozen buttery corn....I don't know the actual amount, though. Anywhere from 8-12oz ought to be good.

Glad to help. The roast I made the other night was falling apart it was so tender. Post here and tell me what you think when you're done!

:cool:

12. droxford

droxford Member

I brown the potroast in a deep teflon skillet with some olive oil in it. It doesn't take long. All around, it will look like it's cooked, but, of course, it's raw on the inside.

Then I just put it in the crock pot, cover it with a packet of dry Lipton Onion soup mix, and set the timer. About 8 minutes in the morning before I leave and it's ready to eat at dinner time.

13. Lynus302

At what temp do you do this? About how long per side does it take for this process?

14. droxford

droxford Member

I brown it at medium-high heat (gas burner)... do so until it looks kinda brown and then flip it.

15. cson

cson Contributing Member

9/11 was an inside job!!!

Oops, sorry misread thread title

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My mothers roast would own you in your face, but just to bypass arm wresting I'm doing this exact recipe tonight, without the corn. I'm still iffy on the red wine thing, but what's done is done. I'll let you know how it turned out tomorrow. This is my very first crock pot cook, so I am skeptical.

PLEASE BE GOOD!

17. Lynus302

It will be good.

Crap I'm hungry....

18. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

19. Lynus302

Maybe this should have been mentioned, but I don't think you're supposed to take the lid off the pot while it's cooking....gotta keep the heat in.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So....just meh. Not sure if it was the red wine or so much broth, but like everything it's trial and error. Next time I'm going without the wine/broth and will be trying the gravy since the roast makes so much juice on it's own. I'll also have to season A LOT more as it was kind of bland.

I pride myself on my excellent cooking skills so I'll get it down. Next up is ribs and the chicken recipe for chicken tacos. Also looking forward to some cold weather so I can try a good chili recipe.

Thanks for the thread though. I'm ready to try so many things in this pot. To come home and have something ready to eat is gold.

BTW- I never did open the pot. Just let it cook and the roast did come out tender as hell. Could barely pick it out and didn't even need a knife to cut it.