1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Credit Repair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Starvela, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know anybody trustworthy who repairs credit..Not the common legal way where they're thousands of companies that repair credit..I won't get into details but I think some of you may know what I'm talking about...Any help will be greatly appreciated...

THX

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I have a friend who works in "credit restoration" which is broader and deeper than simple "repair."

He tells me that "repair" only deals with about 35% of your credit. His service is more about teaching you the ins-and-outs as well to avoid in the future as well as fixing current challenges.

Send me an email through the board and I'll send you his phone number.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As far as I know, the only way to "repair" your credit is to pay off your debts.

5. Pete the Cheat

and wait a couple years...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually, I believe you can negotiate with the credit companies as you pay them off to remove any unwanted information from your report to expedite the process.

DD

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

1. Call your local BBB and ask for a list of local credit repair companies.

2. Call your local BBB back and ask for reports on a several of these companies.

3. Repeat #2 until you find a credit repair company that has been in business for awhile and has a clean record.

Remember 90% of financial services companies make their money by screwing you hard and fast. It pays to look for the guys wearing the white hats.

8. ima_drummer2k

Still gotta pay 'em off though. And you would be very lucky if they did that for you even after you've paid them all off.

And I believe the OP (first time I've ever used that term) is asking for an illegal way to "repair" his credit. What could possibly go wrong? :D

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

ima basically said what I was thinking. I think it would be extremely difficult to work with these companies to get the info off of your credit report.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That may be true, but what some folks fail to even try to do is ask the companies to remove "bad" things after they have paid them off, especially if the company themselves made a mistake.

11. Pete the Cheat

while I do not believe humans are innately evil...I DO believe credit card companies are...

good luck having them admit they made a mistake.

12. bobrek

I have gotten them to admit and correct mistakes in the past and my son has gotten them to admit and correct mistakes recently.

EDIT: the point is that they WON'T correct mistakes if you don't ask thm.

13. ima_drummer2k

Sounds like you're talking about 2 different things. Why would you pay a debt if the company made a mistake?

You have the right to have anything removed from your credit report that is not legit.

But if the debt is legit, what motivation do the credit card companies have to remove it from your credit report even after it's paid off? Keep in mind, credit card companies are EVIL. I've never heard of them doing this kind of thing.

14. bobrek

For example, my son had an instance where he had forgotten/neglected to pay a bill and it showed on his credit report as 90 days late. I believe it was when he was in the process of moving from college to a rental house and then to a house so he essentially lost track of the bill. After realizing his screw-up he paid it off, contacted the credit card company (I think Capital One) and they removed the notation from the credit report.

I pay almost all my bills on-line and the vast majority are set up to auto-pay. There are a couple that only allow same day payments so I tend to wait until they are due to make those. A couple of times over the years I have forgotten. I sent an email to the CC company and they reversed the late fees.

It is amazing what a phone call or email will achieve with CC companies. I got AMEX cards for my entire family. A few weeks after doing so AMEX ran a promotion where you could receive 10,000 rewards points if you did that. I emailed AMEX and asked if I could have the points. They gave them to me.

On more than one occasion over the years, I have emailed or phoned CC companies asking for a lower interest rate, especially if they were advertising promotional rates.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Here is a few tips I can offer.

1. Dispute anything on your Credit Report even if you are responsible. Make sure you dispute with each bureau, TransUnion, Equifax, Experian. Those bureau's send request to the creditors for documentation/proof among other things. The creditors have 30 days to respond, if they don't the bureau's consider it negligent and remove from your report. Some companies only use one bureau and will only respond to one bureau. That cost you nothing but time and you may get lucky. The serious creditors will respond and so you will have to deal with them. But at that point, that is when you negociate. FYI... if you negotiate and pay less than what was owed, you will have a comment on your report listed and "paid, settlement".

2. The other thing someone mentioned is after you settle or pay off with someone you can ask them to remove all history from your credit report. My experiences are not good getting them to do this for you but again it is negotiable.