1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Credit Card Points: Southwest vs. Marriott Card

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Oct 13, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Looking for recommendations from fellow Clutchfanners

I travel a lot for work, and I've had a Southwest Credit Card for about 7 years now since we used to purchase our own tickets and I would get (1) double points for the flight purchase + (2) points for the flights.

Now my company uses an agency and so the flights and hotels are required to be booked and purchased in house. However, the hotels require a credit card when you arrive and we can have them charge it to our personal credit card (company reimburses later on). I'm a Marriott guy, so I would get (1) double points for the purchase + (2) hotel points for the stay if I used a Marriott card.

Right now Marriott has promotion for 80,000 points if I sign on. I'm only Silver level, but getting very close to Gold

Also I know Marriott cards give you early boarding when you fly United (yuck!) but it's a perk.

What credit card would you use? Any other cards I should consider?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I always lean towards the airline cards. Flights are more expensive, in most cases, than hotel rooms. Plus, with the SW card, you can use it for more than just your flights. I've purchased an Xbox 1 and 2 TV's with SW points. I've also used it for hotel stays and rental cars.

3. TMac'n

This is also how i feel, I have a family of 4 and I feel a round trip flight for all of us would cost more than paying for 1 hotel room for several nights that we would all stay in.

But at the same time, I can take a lot of road trip vacations or "staycations". A lot of people in my office have switched to Marriott Credit Cards and have bragged and boasted about staying the weekend at the Marriott Marquee downtown using points, or going to the Marriott Resort in San Antonio with their family

I'm due for my $100 annual fee with my Southwest Card next month, and have been debating this for some time.

I may also switch to United since Marriott Credit Card offers the following perks with them:
    -Complimentary access to Economy Plus at check-in for you and a companion, when available
    -Complimentary Premier upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure, when available
    -One complimentary standard checked bag (up to 50 pounds (23 kg))
    -Premier Access priority airport services, where available

4. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

There's a thread on here about it, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is designed for travelers and allows you to transfer points to United, Southwest and Marriott, as well as several others. It's my go-to card. It's a $450 annual fee, but you get $300 in travel credit, so it's effectively $150 per year.

ElPigto, Sajan and LongTimeFan like this.
  5. TMac'n

$450 is a lot....I don't know

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Cap One Venture.

Dbl points on every purchase. We put every single purchase on it and pay it off at the end of the month. No interests charged and build up travel rewards fast!!!

#6 Falcons Talon, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Marriott ftw...cancel before annual fee. Rejoin sw. Or use chase sapphire, then rejoin swa, then rejoin Marriott for their new year,

Lather rinse repeat

The main trick here is to carry as many cards without annual fees while you churn the ones that do. That way your average card length is always normal.

#7 Invisible Fan, Oct 13, 2017
  8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

It really does net down to $150, though. If you put your work travel hotels on it, you'll earn the $300 credit in no time. It also gives you 3x points for travel & dining.

#8 Hammer755, Oct 13, 2017
  9. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Chase Sapphire Reserve card and it's not even close. Trust us on it or go look up the thread and benefits. It only costs $150 as mentioned above.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

and reimbursement for precheck/related services. So even less than $150 if you take advantage of that. Great card.

11. TMac'n

Alright, i got to check out this Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Too many recommendations

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

3x rewards for dining and travel is a good deal, especially if you travel a lot and eat out a lot, but just take a look at capital one venture. its 2x rewards for every purchase you put on the card...gas, movies, drinks, dinner, pay bills.... $59.00 annual fee....first year free. $400 in bonus miles (40,000 points) for spending $3000 in 3 months.

It's really worth looking at. n 6 months, It paid for a Vegas vacation flight and 6 night stay for me and my gf.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture/

TMac'n likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just coming in here to post about Sapphire Reserve as well. $450 is damn well worth this card. Absolutely worth it.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its definitely worth it. You get 300 back in travel credit so its only really 150. You get 3x point on food, flights, hotels. If you spend 10k a year on that you get 300 back or 450 if you use it on travel.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Chase Southwest for me and not even close. What other card gives you a Companion Pass after you charge $110k every year, which I do in a couple of months for business. Just went to Belize for 14k total points for me and my gf and next week NYC for like 24k total points.