1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 vs. Bev (defense only)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clown Baby, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

To have any chance of beating the Warriors 4 playoff games, you need superstars like CP3. Really, there is not even a comparison here. CP3 can be a difference maker; Bev, for all his heart, is not.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Didn't we play a long stretch without Clint because of injury early last season? That could play arole in our defensive struggles last season

DonKnock likes this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don't like the direction of this thread. Feel like y'all dumping on Beverley Hills Cop. Beverley was a very good defender. He couldn't maximize his defensive potential playing next to a young Harden. Harden gave no effort in defense for years and now he's coming into his own and understanding all the lil things you have to do to win the big one. CP3 greatest asset to Harden will be his leadership and garnered respect. Harden wouldn't listen Parsons, Beverley, Dwight or even Ariza. I remember a game against asan antonio where he was blowing assignment left and right on the pick and kept blaming Capela and being very demonstrative about it on a nationally broadcast game. He did it before to cassipi before and Parsons called him out on it because it was James fault. So yeah CP3 might be better than beverley but he isn't playing with all the limitations on defense that Beverley had to deal with because of Hardens lack of assertion on defense these pass couple years

4. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I'll start by saying I love Bev but let's be honest CP3??? Come on guys. Not only is he top 1-3 in steals every year, he doesn't have to gamble to get them.... sometimes it seem like the other team is just throwing the ball to him.... that's how good he is at what he does.....

And let's also be honest Bev on defense was what Ron Artest was on offense..... the whole time he's doing what he's doing your like wtf man calm down but then it somehow works out and your like "that's what I'm talking about!!"

Meaning that lots of times he's just out there playing wild and reckless and it hurts us but when something good happens it looks all the more great because of how he did it...

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Here are the non-garbage time numbers.

(Note that Rockets are now #1 offense)

[​IMG]

Classic, seeingred and YaoMing#1 like this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The team stats are heavily skewed bad because of the Warriors game being 1/3 of the sample.

The individual stats also seem to be highly skewed because he's having career highs in steal%, block%, Def Rebound%.

We need to wait to get more data before we can make conclusions off of stats.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

CP3 defense is amazing. He just seems to always be couple steps ahead of what his opponent is thinking.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden's D last year while playing with Bev

same deflections per game as Westbrook and Rondo more than Lebron, Anthony Davis, Durant
    same loose balls recorvered per game as Lebron, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green more than Durant and Klay
    same charges drawn as Lebron, Anthony Davis more than Steph Curry, Butler, George double that of Durant, Kawhi, Westbrook, Klay
    more 2pt shots contested than Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, George, Westbrook, Butler
    more 3pt shots contested than Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Curry, Westbrook
    more overall shots contested than Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, Westbrook, Butler
    same defensive reb % as Lebron slight lower than Durant better than Kawhi, George, Butler, Klay, Curry
    and lastly, similar defensive rating as Lebron, Avery Bradley, Ariza, slight lower than George

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Last year he was much better than years pass but he still reverted back to bad habits. He's one of the worst pnr if not the worst that I ever seen. I don't care what the stats say, I listen to my eyes and Harden was not even consistently average last season. He's gotten better but that's not hard with the low floor he set. I don't know why you comparing him to Curry because curry defense sucks too

10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Lou actually has been playing well for the Clippers. Griffin is a p***y and Lou is their only reliable offense.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Draymond Green was DPOY inspite of Curry sucking on defense

replace Curry with Harden last year and GSW still wins a ring and Dray the DPOY

not sure why Harden's comparable defense to Curry, WB, Lebron, PG has anything to do with PBev sucking last year

go to the Clips board BOF

CP3 >>>>>>>>>>> PBev

not even sure what you're arguing about

#71 vlaurelio, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Fighting too, no?

SIL

13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

The defense will be better with Paul.

Will it be better relative to 29 other teams? Too many variables we can't control.

SIL

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Way too early & Paul hasn’t played any elite guards, it’s close because of age but Bev’s only downfall on defense was that sometimes he would get lost in the intesity of the matchup, overplay & get in foul trouble. Granted that happened about 25% of the time which is not bad at all playing against the they great guards in the West. Paul seems to be more fundamental in his approach, which makes him a better leader on D.

Honestly you can say it’s a wash defensively, which makes Paul a far more superior player, since his offensive game & intangibles are way better than Bevs will ever be.

15. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Bev is an elite defender but CP3 is one of the all time greats and can guard guys at multiple positions. The only guy I really think that hurt losing in the trade was Bev for sure, as he's one of the more valuable guys on the Clippers now. Not going to rip on Bev's game as he's consistently been one of the more underappreciated guys in the league.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Paul played hobbled against Curry and still kept him in check

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Definitely agree with you on Harden's atrocious defense making the team overall worse. No question about that. As much as I love Harden at this very moment, I was his biggest critic for several years for costing us many games by his defense alone (that infamous Lilliard shot still kills me because if James had seen the necessary switch, we would have gone deep into the playoffs that year imo).

Beverly paid pretty good defense most of the time, great defense a few times, and average defense a good amount of the time too. If we could still have him as a backup pointguard with the assignment to just do his thing aggressively on defense and spot up for 3s, then I'd be all for it. Only thing about him though is that I felt his last two years with us was spent with him vying for approval ("first team all-defense"), banging his chest, yelling into the crowd, etc., so much that at times it cost us. Did he have great moments with us? Of course. And I think he's definitely carved his own niche in the league, improving his 3pt shooting and hitting the occasional floater to become on par offensively too, but I think he just lets his emotions cost him key possessions at times. If he had the focus/attention to detail & the leadership of Chris Paul (as you mentioned), it'd be another story.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bev is a lot of bark, he's the kinda person that gets in your face and on your nerves. I think it's great for energy especially in the playoffs. But it has a lot of downsides because he fouls unnecessarily and sometimes his footwork gets messed up and the guy just blows past him.

CP3 is just great technical and disciplined defense. There's not barking no yelling, if you get out of place he will punish you

DonKnock likes this.
  19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

The difference between Bev and CP3's defense....is the fact that CP3 makes you play Defense instead of just standing there waiting for the 3. CP3 is a threat whenever he is on the floor.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Paul doesn't have better career rebounding numbers than Bev by any measure except TRB/game (slightly), and that's only because he plays 7 more minutes for his career. Every other measure Per 36, Per 100 and TRB% favor Bev for career numbers.

Yes, I definitely believe CP3 is the career better defender. But rebounding numbers definitely favor Bev.

#80 heypartner, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017