1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 May not resign [Bill Simmons tweet so grain of salt needed]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thesonofsam, May 4, 2013.

1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 47m

Also hearing there's a legit chance CP3 doesn't sign there now. It's wide-open. They'd have to hire a coach he likes, and even then...

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Come here CP3... please...

Who are our competitors in the free agency when signing max contract players?

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Atlanta and Dallas would be the two biggest.

Atlanta has enough cap room to sign both Dwight and CP3 and then also keep Horford, Korver, and Lou Williams. They'd also have two first round picks in this year's draft.

I'm not sure who Dallas has on their books, but I know they have at least one max cap spot.

There are other teams too, I'm sure, but those two would be the biggest aside from the Clippers.

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

Portland too if they made some trade, eg Lillard for Chris Paul in sign & trade?

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wow. Sounds like Atlanta has a better situation than us.

7. ItsMyFault

Yeah, I forgot about Portland. That would be a nice destination too.

Well, we have James Harden and Chandler Parsons who I would say are better than the 3 guys on Atlanta's payroll next year. It's going to be a crazy offseason of speculation again if Paul and Dwight don't return to their current teams.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

CP3 got knocked out of the first round with a stacked team. I am sure he is about to bail since he makes good players look like great players. Unlike LeBron, he won't get flack for not sticking with one team (already his 2nd team) and elevating them to a ring. I am sure he wants to bring a team up on his own or recruit and then build up instead of joining a readymade team. But sometimes people get thirsty.

9. what

what Member

chris paul is a cheap shot artist, a cheater, a flopper, and many other things. The fact that he is a great player is overshadowed by his antics. I have to think that karma is a b**** when it comes to chris paul's playoff record.

10. faraza84

faraza84 Member

CP just found out he needs a front court that can do more than just flashy dunks....he's definitely gonna be looking for a stronger option at C.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Griffin was hurt.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Wants to spend more time with his brother, Cliff.

2 people like this.
  13. DreamRoxCoogFan

pretty sure he already knew that, and that was the source of friction on the team. He wanted to play smart, and DeBlake wanted to be lob city.

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

actually Blake have shown improvement this year, his shooting is much better this year compared to last.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Atlanta can't keep Korver, not that it matters. But they can fill out a roster of nobodies and CP3/Horford/Howard/Lou Williams/John Jenkins. This would mean they would be trading their 1st round picks for future picks so they're not cap holds.

Personal opinion is that either one should prefer to play on a team with Harden, Parsons, Asik, and a ton of young players with upside instead of each other, Horford and scrubs.

Dallas has no chance because Dirk and Marion ensures only one max free agent.

Portland is obviously out of the question for CP3. For Howard, does he really want to play with another big who also dominate the ball? Besides, Portland's basically an inferior version of the Rockets(34 wins vs. 45 wins) in a smaller market with less global exposure(no Lin). If Howard is willing to leave LA, why would he choose Portland?

Obviously the safe bet is that both players stay in LA. But if either one bolts, I personally feel the Rockets are in the driver seat.

16. ItsMyFault

Yeah you're right. I forgot Korver is an FA.

17. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

CP3
    Harden
    Parsons
    Jones
    Asik

Awesome lineup.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Heat being a dominant team is a blessing in disguise. I think it will sway some if these big name players to sign with a Western team.

1 person likes this.
  19. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Ya imagine someone with good bball iq and some post presence, or a pick and pop pf. That would make a world of difference

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

CP3 is going back to the Clippers. He will get to choose their next coach and have a say in whatever personnel moves they make.

I've heard and read stuff that CP3 absolutely loves living in LA and won't leave. It's been a done deal for a while. But he wants to maximize his leverage with the team before signing.

Regarding Dwight, I don't think he would leave LA for anywhere but Houston. Supposedly he has zero interest in returning to Atlanta. The Blazers franchise is too dysfunctional and has a very weak coach.

1 person likes this.