1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

CP3 IF he comes, Okafor WON'T join him.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jul 25, 2010.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Yes another CP3 thread because every one that I read, the same thing is proposed Okafor + CP3 for Rocket player X,X,X.

I understand New Orleans would LOVE to get rid of that contract but there are some things to consider still which is why I don't believe Okafor will come (He MAY be included to a 3rd team, but Rockets aren't getting him):

1) Rockets JUST SIGNED Miller to be the backup center, and still have Andersen and Hayes (though Andersen would probably be gone in a trade like this I could see NOs wanting him) (I believe Okafor plays his best @ center too).

2) But lets just say we get Okafor for PF, Rockets have 3 PFs right now, just signing Scola to a multi year extension, and 2 young upcoming prospects (Hill & Patterson), though I do believe 1 will be given to NOs in order to get Okafor.

3) Hornets have no other big man, and in general are short PFs and Centers in general. I can't believe that many teams would like to play like the Rockets did last season with no one taller than 6'9".

Honestly IF and this is a HUGE if because CP3 has to want to come to the Rockets and the Rockets have to want him, and the Rockets need to WOW the Hornets into being willing to trade (I think the 2nd one is already there, so really the 1st/3rd one have to happen).

Seeing how they have very few bad contracts other than Okafor. Posey is the next best guy to trade, an old guy who really doesn't contribute a lot anymore, and still has 2 years/14 mill left.

Also I keep seeing people thinking that Brooks is the only real asset we will have to give up and I just don't believe that, this will cost us Brooks, Hill, and Ariza or Budinger. CP3 is a top 10 NBA talent, I can't see them just giving him away for anything less than 3 solid potential players.

This is what I believe a trade would look like:
    Posey + CP3

FOR

2 of out these 4 players: Andersen, Hill, Patterson, Brooks and/or Budinger. I can see them wanted any of those guys because they have good contracts, the 1st 3 give them some size and potential, and Budinger is full of potential.

1 of these 2 players: Ariza or Battier. Either is very possible. Battier is expiring + he is a great role model for the young players in NOs. Ariza is a longer contract, but he has way more upside than Battier and would fit in with the young players.

These 2 players FOR SURE: Brooks and Jeffries. Jeffries because the Rockets will need to match contracts. Brooks MAY not be the prize NOs want seeing how the have Collison which is why earlier I said I could see Budinger going to NOs, that would create a chain effect probably: a 3rd team getting involved to get Brooks (meaning more of the players I listed could be required to be traded and Rockets may get stuck with someone else whether a marginal contract or a decent player I'm not sure), Rockets giving Battier not Ariza (if they have Budinger, a young SF with potential, why get Ariza?).

Possible add-ons: Knicks 2012 pick, cash, Rockets Picks. My guess is at least 1 pick will be included, I don't really see a reason for cash to be included, but I'm sure whatever it is it isn't a going to be so much that it would be a deal breaker for Les so doesn't matter all that much.

Example of type of trade (This is one I'd prefer the most, so we don't have to give up Brooks and Budinger) and I'd like Rockets to keep Battier because they don't have another player that is really what I'd consider a vocal leader:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2ewm3sd

And that's my long post.

Cliffs:
    - Rockets/Morey won't get Okafor, more likely we'd get Posey

- Jefferies, Brooks + Battier/Ariza + (2 of these) Andersen/Hill/Patterson/Budinger for Posey & CP3

- Example trade: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2ewm3sd

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

The whole point of the Hornets to trade CP3 is so they can unload Okafor's albatross contract.

DD

3. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

DD, how many accounts do you have?

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I don't think it is. If they can I'm sure they would be happy to, but Morey wouldn't want it and if they can just get a bunch of solid players to build around, Okafor could be a decent piece to a solid nucleus of players.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Shhh... Don't tell anyone!

DD

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Rockets only need to convince the Hornets that it is in their best interest to trade CP3 to them.

7. Htown's2kFinest

Okafor comes at a high price but he would give us a lot of what we been missing when Deke retired and more because he isn't 55. Emeka can still give a team 12pts| 10+rebs| 2blks.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Who would want to take Okafor, if the Rockets are getting CP3?

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Heck Yeah! Okafor, Yao, Scola, CP3, Ariza, Martin. Thats Championship material already and devastating frontline. We can take Okafors contract because its on a Championship team and we can pay guys on championship teams and the contracts arent as important as long as you are winning or competing for Championships. That means Yao could go down and we couls still beat teams with Okafor as the new starter and Brad Miller as his backup. Until then its Okafor and Brad Miller off the bench wrecking everyones bench players with Budinger and Lowry.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Hornets are ready to move on without Paul, I think the Hornets might consider that trade, minus Andersen. It still works under the cap without him; and the Hornets save even more money. Of course, a pick or two might need to be added, as you had mentioned.

That said, I think they'd be willing to trade him elsewhere for less in return if they can dump Okafor's contract. Hence, the Rockets possibly being willing to eat that monstrosity.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trust me. If Morey had a choice, it would be Okafor. Okafor off the bench behind Scola would be tremendous. Way more beneficial than Posey.

12. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

I agree that NO is short on big men (no pun intended), however if they are gonna rebuild, then they will demand their trade partner(s) take Okafor's contract and demand young big men prospects.

Hill isn't gonna cut it. They could trade Aaron Brooks or Collison for a big man but they probably will want one for trading their superstar, unless they receive an All-Star.

I think the Rockets will need to bring in a 3rd team who wants Brooks and will send NO, a young big or prospect. Pacers are the first to jump out, since they have no PG and were publicly stating they were trying to trade for one.

Roy Hibbert and Paul George would probably do it.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He would choose an awful contract from a player average at best? Over having Patterson become better and develop?

I just can't see that. Posey is not an IDEAL choice in anyway, but its reasonable contract and he would fit as a good backup wing defender. Him and Battier would be good wing defenders and each could play 10-20 minutes w/ Budinger taking the rest (all matchup dependent).

Morey HATES long contracts, he was willing to make an exception for Brand, and may still be willing to make an exception w/ Okafor, but seeing as we drafted a PF and resigned Scola, I'm not so sure he wants to anymore.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Pacers does make sense to me, but they have a bunch of expiring contracts I'm not so sure they are willing to rid themselves of them to take on Okafor's albatross.

They MIGHT be willing to trade an expiring contract to NOs (aka Murphy), take Okafor and Brooks, and call it a day. To which I'd hope NOs wouldn't mind another expiring, but again in this case I really feel like it's the Rockets who would have to pay another asset because they aren't taking back any nasty contracts, so likely bye bye Budinger.

15. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets have to take Emeka to get Chris Paul, they will gladly do it. The Rockets desperately want a super star to add to their team, and Chris Paul is about as big a name they will realistically be able to add. Before he was injured he was a top 5 player in the league.... add him to the Rockets and a WC Finals bid is very possible, if not likely.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Although it is true that Okafors contract is ridiculous, as far as championship contention is concerned, the pros outweigh the cons. Also i think the poster who mentioned the Pacers meant that Brooks would go to Indiana and they would send another big( Hibbert ) to NO.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one notices that clown, he is trying to gravy train on greatness.

There is only one "DD"....... All others are worthless pond scum.

:grin:

And I would take Okafor, sometimes a player needs a fresh start, he has good skill...

DD

#17 DaDakota, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  18. Houston_Rockets

I think people are underrating Okafor skill and overrating his huge ugly contract in this tread

His he overpaid??? Yes

His he a scrub??? No

If you ask me, which big men I like to defend Pau Gasol??? I would choose Okafor in a heartbeat

He is a defender, he lacks scoring ability, but he can be an offensive Poor man Dhoward, playing like they did in NO, pick and roll to the hoop, and set good screens for guys like Martin playing off the ball

PeAcE

19. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

The hornets could care less that we don't have room for okafor. the only way that paul comes to the rox is if the hornets trade him to us because it's the best deal they can get.

the hornets also don't care that their front-line is thin after okafor, if they're trading paul they're going into a multi-year rebuilding mode. getting close to $50M off the books is far more important then having a thin front-line for an indefinite period. besides, they'll simply demand hill and use him until they either make a trade with the assets we give them, or draft a center (perhaps with the picks we give them).

if we can turn around and trade okafor for something, that's great. though it'll cost us assets to do so, and leave us vulnerable to a yao-less, thus center-less, future after next season if yao gets hurt, opts to sign elsewhere, or proves ineffective.

the question for me is: who wants okafor. because if there's a team that wants him, they'll throw even more at the hornets for him and cp3, and maybe take posey to boot.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We NEED Okafor. He gives us exactly what we need and do not have...

Even If we have to trade Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson to do it.