1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I mean, I was all for opening up back in May considering Texas was doing well. But now that our cases are spiking and hospitals are filling up, it's time to reinstate those restrictions before the hospitals are over capacity.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

In-laws live and have a business there. They have been exposed....haven't been wearing mask.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Damn guy, you alright? Don’t pretend to know me or act like you have some knowledge that I don’t. Clearly your sarcasm meter is broken or you maybe lost your job today? Need to get laid? Maybe your boytoy told you you’re ugly?

Regardless, you come off like a first class b****. Get a grip. I actually go to work everyday when most people get to sit on their ass and work from home. You want to talk about the economy? Is our economy a fantasy world? Maybe you’re too incompetent to take advantage of it? That isn't mine, or anyone else’s problem. Cheers.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That clown is clearly off his rocker for whatever reason. Texas isn’t going to shut down again. Maybe there will be some specific areas that have to do so, but there is no way the whole state goes back to the “quarantine” thing.

I had some of my employees at work M-F the first time around because they are hourly and there was nothing in these bills to ensure they are paid unless they actually got Covid or had kids out of school. Im in an “essential” industry though.

Unfortunately, the bars, theaters, and pretty much the entire hospitality industry are taking the brunt of this and it needs to stop. Dumbass millennials need to stop acting like their invincible because they are causing the problems.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Each Day It's More And More': Houston Hospital Makes Room For COVID-19 Surge Cases

NOEL KING, HOST:

Many of the states that reopened restaurants, bars and stores are seeing COVID-19 cases spike. Now, that includes the state of Texas. Hospitals there are being inundated by coronavirus patients. Yesterday, Texas reported almost 6,000 people hospitalized with COVID. That is an unfortunate record for the state. Houston and surrounding Harris County currently have the most cases in Texas. Roberta Schwartz is the chief innovation officer at Houston Methodist Hospital. She's with us now. Good morning, Roberta.

ROBERTA SCHWARTZ: Good morning.

KING: When COVID-19 surged along the East Coast, in New York City in particular, we saw frightening scenes from hospitals there. What does it look like at Houston Methodist?

SCHWARTZ: So Houston Methodist has now had two surges of COVID. And when it was surging up in the Northeast, Texas actually closed down, having watched what was happening in the Northeast. So our surge went up, and we went up. And at Houston Methodist, we had cases kind of in the mid-200s. We then saw, right after Memorial Day - we saw the cases start to go up. And unfortunately, right now, we're seeing no leveling.

So if you look within the hospital, what it looks and feels like here right now is that every day, I am clearing out another unit, and I am putting in COVID patients. And we are watching - we've watched this mountain and line graph grow to twice the size of where it was in the first surge.

KING: Although what I do hear you saying as a positive is that you have enough units currently. Do I have that right? It sounds like the hospital is not overwhelmed.

SCHWARTZ: So when we were at the point where the volumes of COVID were down, we were able to open up many of our other services. And what we found when we opened up a lot of our services is that many people had waited for a very long time to seek medical care, and they were very sick. And so we were able to treat many of those patients both in clinics and in the hospital and in all of our services.

We kind of looked at each other and said we should never do that again. We should never close down all of our services because it was detrimental to the health of Houston. It was dangerous for people to wait to seek needed care. And so what's been very hard is to, you know, yesterday, send out yet another series of notes closing down services further because we have no choice because we have to transition units into COVID to take care of the population.

So do we have the beds? Yes. Fortunately, at this point, we have not had to put up tents or field hospitals. But each day it's more and more. And I keep saying if we're not careful here - I'm not advocating for a lockdown, but if we do not go back to a point where we isolate and hand hygiene and mask everywhere, we will be in the position that New York was.

KING: There are videos and pictures from across Texas that show people in bars and in restaurants without masks, not social distancing. When you see that, what goes through your mind?

SCHWARTZ: You know, on one hand, there are so many people who believe that this is not reality, that what you're hearing is made up or false. And I want to take them all and walk them through an ICU to see husband and wife laying side by side intubated or seeing a 26-year-old with no comorbidities who is laying in a hospital bed, you know, for 14 days in an intubated state and say it is very real. There's a little bit of Russian roulette. You could be fine and have a sore throat and walk through this, or you could end up in one of my units, and you don't know which one you will be.

KING: Roberta Schwartz of Houston Methodist Hospital, thank you.

SCHWARTZ: Thank you.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Sunddenly, there is a spike in inheritance money being handed over to the young. Bright side?

No Worries likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"You can have all the beds in the world, but if you don't have qualified staff it makes no difference."

Nook and ElPigto like this.
  10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

her terrible tattoo should be on that poster

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Covid is real. Is it the bars fault, partly, only the ones not enforcing social distancing, but we're grown ass people and should know how to act. And yes, everyone should wear a mask, period. In other news, I miss baseball...

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its more about approaching the subject from a pragmatic position. Cherry picking news story to get hysterical over is stupid. Its obvious we can't go in full shut down mode until the virus is gone is not practical, but neither is pretending the virus doesn't exist is not an option either. Getting upset over a few people not wearing masks is pointless just as people getting upset at wearing one is too.

13. Space Ghost

Opening bars was just a terrible idea. Anything that encourages people to gather in small rooms with recycled air promoting loud talking will accelerate the spread. People dont go to the bar to social distance and sit there quietly. Add in alcohol and loud music will of course encourage people to talk loudly in front of peoples face.

Sitting on South Beach packed with people and alcohol and loud music is not the same as sitting on a quiet beach with people spread out a few yards. There is a bit of common sense to this and too many people are over looking it, especially those in authority.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You (incorrectly) cherry picked a post to get hysterical over.

Nook, superfob and Space Ghost like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Latest Medical Center Data

Attached Files:

jchu14 likes this.
  16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My registration sticker's due in July. Are those still on hold due to the virus or did they lift the hold? Don't really want someone else in my car right now.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

the registration/inspection sticker waiver is still in place

arkoe likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There were practical restrictions set in place, but a good portion of the population ignored it. The public is largely irresponsible and that's why restrictive measures have to take place again.

NotInMyHouse and Nook like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what's the difference with that and mass protests of 70k people together? it's ironic how things like that have been shamed and while things like this happen its alright and covid doesn't exist. Especially when the latter, surpasses the former by a longshot. Just say you're protesting. It's the present day covid pass.

20. Space Ghost

You make a good point. IDGAF about shaming. I care about data (not cherry picked statistics). Im not so sure South Beach was an issue in the first place or if it was misrepresented. Maybe standing on a beach, no mask and drunk is low risk...but going into a bar across the street for an hour to cool off is the real risk. We absolutely know cool enclosed places with recycled air is very high risk (this was determined early on with cruise ships).

I haven't seen a lot of data at this point that protests are a high risk (not to be confused with zero risk which people like to inject). Personally I am fine the protest experiment. Its helping us to understand transmission. When I see photos of protests like you posted, I see lots of people wearing masks in warm wind tunnels (ie: not recycled air). Maybe Im wrong. Nobody is forcing the protesters to be out there. I will shame people going into bars. Protests, not so much at this point.