1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Puts a new spin on "therein lies the rub".

Houstunna likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

"...after taking several readings I'm surprised to find my mind still fairly sound"

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Laredo requiring masks for everyone going into buildings other than their own homes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-ci...RwHbWcLR9Mg9Nw63IQRJcv57NPKJuG54jRE4uvTIiptQY

Texas city moves to fine people who don't cover their faces outside to protect against coronavirus

The city of Laredo in Texas is now requiring all residents to wear a mask any time they enter a building that is not their home, or face up to a $1,000 fine.

Beginning Thursday, the ordinance approved by the Laredo City Council mandated that anyone entering a building, using public transit or pumping their gas must cover their nose and mouth with a mask, bandana, scarf or any cloth or face a fine up to $1,000. The rule will remain in place until April 30.

“This does not apply when a person is: engaging in a permissible outside physical activity; that are riding in a personal vehicle; that are in alone in a separate single space; that are with their own shelter group (household members); when doing so poses a greater health, safety or security risk; or for consumption purposes,” the City of Laredo said in a press release.

The council also voted to extend a curfew to pertain to all citizens requiring them to stay in their homes between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless they are out for essential services. Otherwise, they may face a fine of between $50 and $1,000 or jail time of up to 180 days.

Those who have to work between those hours must show proof such as a work ID or a signed letter from their employer. Those who are outside for exercise or to walk pets may do so at any hour and do not need to wear a mask.

Some expressed concern that people may not be able to afford such fines during the pandemic. “I’d rather bury them in debt than bury them in a coffin,” Councilman George Altgelt responded, according to the Laredo Morning Times.

Originally health officials across the board told Americans that it was not necessary to wear a mask while going about daily life during the pandemic. On Tuesday, White House coronavirus task force advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN “the idea of getting broad community-wide use of masks is under active discussion” at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

But on Monday, the U.S. Surgeon General linked to an article on Twitter saying the World Health Organization (WHO) stood by its recommendation not to wear masks if you are not sick or caring for someone who is sick.

Other medical professionals have questioned whether such a directive would wreak havoc on the health care system.

“Save the surgical masks for health care professionals. Even if you can purchase them online, don’t. Health care workers and first responders need them more than average individuals,” Summer Johnson McGee, the dean of University of New Haven's School of Health Sciences, told Fox News.

“If you have to go out for essential shopping, which is the only reason anyone should be outside their homes at this point, maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from others plus the use of a bandana or scarf to cover your nose and mouth should offer sufficient protection,” she added.

On Wednesday, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti urged all Angelenos to wear non-medical face masks when venturing outside.

“Early data suggests many who are infected are not symptomatic, which is why we are recommending you use cloth face coverings plus physical distancing for essential activities,” the mayor tweeted.

Garcetti's announcement came after Riverside County public health officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser urged that people who need to go out in public should use something -- even bandanas or neck warmers -- to cover their mouths and noses to protect others and themselves.

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

This thread and other covid threads on this board have been amazing. It's awesome that we're able to share great information, knowledge, personal anecdotes, concerns and questions with other clutchfans all over not just the US, but the world, as this worldwide pandemic progresses. Thanks, @Clutch !

[​IMG]

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I've been doing the east coast wave my entire life.

Ziggy, Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've always been confused over when to do the nod vs the "east coast wave" (never heard it called that before).

Please advise.

FrontRunner, CCity Zero and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

Guess it's a kiwi thing, just a replacement for hongi.

hongi
    [​IMG]

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found my PAPR! My techs hid it for me and never told me!

Two Sandwiches and B-Bob like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

I wonder what else she can Dee-men-strate.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why dont they call the East Coast wave by its proper name? The 'Sup.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

she was a speaker at my organization's event past november. seems cool and down to earth, came in with minimal security. she reminds me of anna kendrick at a glance, but taller.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

In the fact that both look like horses?

Jontro likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Quit knocking the man's fapping material...show some respect in these difficult times.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Saw more people wearing masks at the grocery store today but not a lot. I also disinfected my groceries with an antibacterial spray in the garage before bringing them in. Has anyone been disinfecting groceries? This is fun. I just spray boxes, cans, everything. Let them sit for a few minutes. And then wipe with a rag. Some of the print on the boxes smears off and stuff.

Jontro and FrontRunner like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Antibacterial does nothing for a virus

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do this for groceries. Though, mostly I've just been removing the outer box on a lot of stuff or transferring to a safe container.

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get that viruses aren't bacteria, but I'm pretty sure most commercially available antibacterial sprays work on viruses if they are certified by the EPA. Stuff not certified by the EPA may not work on bacteria or viruses.