1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I am well aware of it and long before you ever were,. lol
    I didn't want to "steal" any credit away from china.:rolleyes: Paranoid much?

I even discussed the original chinese study in this thread around 1.5 month ago with @Ottomaton and @CCity Zero and others and we were discussing about purchasing chloroqinue.

The reason it became 'famous" was because of the french doctor who called the media and claimed he had solved the problem.

And for the record the original chinese study was even more problematic and inconclusively in its methodology than even the french one.
    Chloroqinue was among 10 other treatments like vitamin C,tamiflu etc that they were trying to find something that works.

Yung-T, ElPigto and CCity Zero like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lapping the field like a BOSS!

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We just passed them

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sitting calmly at the top.

5. donkeypunch

Calmly is the wrong adjective.

6. malakas

malakas Member

"model indicates that if the physical distancing measures begun in late January, 2020, in Wuhan are gradually relaxed in March, the virus could start to resurge 3 months later in June, and generate a second peak 5 months later at the end of August, 2020. However, if measures were relaxed a month later in April, 2020, the resurgence would start an additional 2 months later, in August, 2020, and peak in October. Their projections suggest that an additional month of physical distancing measures (or other methods, such as widespread testing) could buy 2 additional months before such measures would have to be reinstated to prevent the resurgence of the epidemic toward health-care system overload.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30072-4/fulltext

So according to the latest studies :

Need complete lockdown for at least 3 months so you can have another outbreak peak 7 months later.

If you only have lockdown for 2 months you will have another peak in 5 months.

So for example

if Italy releases the lockdown in May they will have resurge in August and another peak in October.

If they release it in June then they will have resurge in October and another peak in December.

joshuaao, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Interesting. The local Houston office of the company I work for sent out an email stating they began 3D printing these very splitters as well as spare parts for ventilators.

8. likestohypeguy

USA CORONAVIRUS WORLD CHAMPS!

lol china italy cry harder noobs ez

9. malakas

malakas Member

10. donkeypunch

11. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

These people decompensate so fast it’s crazy. While most people don’t get super sick, the ones that do fall off a bit and then next thing you know They’re intubated on max vent in less than a day

13. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

That's a pretty cool visualization tool! On the surface it looks scary but in reality, privacy is an illusion and if you really want it, don't use the Internet period. That being said, Florida and Chicago are super screwed by those Spring Breakers. Also, USA is #1!!!!

malakas likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

FaceTimed my mom. This will all be over in 5 days and trump has Israel sending us the medicine to cure it. I’m so relieved

Pringles, Cokebabies, Kim and 5 others like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

just read that story on how HEB prepared for this pandemic

I couldn’t pass up posting this part

“Justen Noakes: What we really started seeing first was runs on N95 masks. I think people were sending the masks back home to their families, and it started exponentially increasing at that point, particularly around cleaning supplies, disinfectant, things of that nature. But I don’t think anybody saw the toilet paper rush coming.

Craig Boyan: We did not see runs on toilet paper as one of the first things to go out of stock. That was something we still kind of have a hard time understanding.”

Reading that, u can see why they have so many loyal customers, including me. Why did they look more prepared than the White House? Trump is talking about lifting restrictions by Easter. Lmao, really my guy?

During a Fox News virtual town hall on Tuesday, Trump said he “would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter.”

“Wouldn’t it be great to have all of the churches full?” Trump said during a second interview that aired on Fox News. “You’ll have packed churches all over our country. I think it would be a beautiful time, and it’s just about the timeline that I think is right. I’m not sure that’s going to be the date, but I would like to aim it right at Easter Sunday.”

this can’t be life...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Exiled

Exiled Member

I hope it benefits businesses bc I don't see any real medical benefits

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Has anyone seen any talk about the 2 different strains of this coronavirus? People were talking about it a couple weeks ago then it just faded away.

malakas likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sorry if this has been posted. QA transcript of Curry's chat with Dr. Fauci on Instagram earlier today. Included a few answers below.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/steph-curry-dr-fauci-chat-coronavirus-instagram

AF: Yeah. Mostly the same but with some interesting. maybe disturbing differences. You look at China, you look at Europe, you look at South Korea – it predominantly is reasonably benign, if you want to call it that. You get sick, but you don’t get into serious trouble if you’re young. Very heavily weighted towards the elderly and those with underlying conditions – heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, kidney disease. Those are the people who have a higher degree of mortality. We know that for sure. We’re seeing that a lot now in the United States.

But what we are starting to see is that there are some people who are younger – people your age, young, healthy, vigorous, who don’t have any underlying conditions who are getting seriously ill. It’s still a very, very small minority, but it doesn’t mean that young people like yourself should say ‘I’m completely exempt from any risk of getting seriously ill.’ And that’s the reason why when we talk about being careful, of physical distancing, doing the kind of social separation, it means not only for the elderly, but the young people have to do it too for two reasons. One – you need to protect yourself, because you’re not completely exempt from serious illness. Two – you could become the vector, or the carrier of infection, where you get infected, you feel well, and you inadvertently and innocently pass it on to your grandfather or your grandmother or your uncle who is on chemotherapy for cancer. That’s what we have to be careful of.

AF: Great question, that’s been a real issue. Early on, several weeks ago, we were not in a place where we needed to be or wanted to be. We did not have as much accessibility of testing as we now have and that we will have going forward. Right now there are literally hundreds of thousands of tests that are out there now – mostly because we got the private sector involved. Companies who know how to make it and make it well make large amounts. So we’re going very much in the right direction. The specific answer to your question – you did the right thing and if someone right now gets flu-like symptoms – fever, aches and bit of a cough – the first thing you do is stay at home. Don’t go to an emergency room because then you might be infecting others. Get on the phone with a physician, a nurse or a healthcare provider, get instructions from them on what to do, and if available, you can get a test. But the critical issue is don’t flood the emergency rooms. Stay at home. If you’re really seriously ill then you’ve got to go quickly there, but if you just have aches, pains and a fever, stay where you are but contact your physician.

AF: Let me get to the first one. If you’re infected, and you recover, the question is when can you go out and be safe to not infect others? The general rule is you have to have two cultures 24 hours apart that are negative. That’s what the rule is now. As more people get infected, that likely is not going to be feasible. So we’re going to have to set some guidelines up – days following the diminution of symptoms. We’re not there yet because we don’t know as much about how far out you can be shedding virus. Secondly, your main question. Once you get infected, can you get reinfected? We haven’t done the specific testing to determine that. But if that acts like every virus similar to it that we know, the chances are overwhelming that if you get infected, recover from infection, that you are not going to get infected with the same virus. Which means that you can then safely go out into the community and feel immune. So that you could not only protect yourself, get back to work, get back to your job. But you’ll be able to have what you referred to as herd immunity. Enough people who have recovered in the community – that gives the virus very little chance to spread rapidly. That’s what’s referred to as herd immunity.

SC: That’s kind of in the spirit of what America is. We’re not overreacting right? I’ve heard that term from people feeling threatened by the change and the reality. But there’s no overreaction to this and this is a serious issue?

AF: You’re absolutely right. We need to make that point. This is serious business. We’re not overreacting.

AF: That’s exactly what we are doing and what you need to do. There are two types of tests. You’re describing them as well as anybody. One – to determine if you are actually now infected. That’s the test that people need to get screened. Another test determines if at some time you were infected. It’s an antibody test. It’s much quicker, it’s much easier, it’s much cheaper. Those are the kinds of tests where you can determine out there how many people actually did get infected and recovered. It’s a very important piece of information that we need to get.

(my comment: below was POSSIBLE back in early FEB but the fed gov messed up and wasn't prepare)

AF: It’s a possibility, but I think and I hope, and it’s not just hope because I think if we do it right, it will happen this way, that we will get enough experience so that when it does come back, we will immediately be able to identify, isolate and contact trace. If you do that effectively, you don’t have an outbreak. You contain it at a very low level. Which would mean we won’t have to lock down again. We could great individual ones and prevent the outbreak. Prevent what we’re seeing in New York City. Prevent what we’re starting to see in New Orleans. Those are the kinds of things if we go around that cycle, I think we can avoid that. It will be much different than what we’re doing right now.

AF: We certainly need more. We have much more supply now than we had just literally a week or two ago. You have to prioritize who needs the mask and who should wear it. First and foremost, healthcare providers – doctors, nurses and health providers – who are taking care of a person with coronavirus disease. Protect them from getting infected. Because what’s happened in Italy and what happened in China is you can knock out your healthcare force. And then you’re really in trouble. So protect that person. The other one is – if you are infected, to put a mask on to prevent you from spreading it to someone else. The third priority is the general population, who if they wear a mask, they may assume that it’s 100% protective. It’s just not. It’s probably, you can guess a number, maybe 50%. So when we say that you don’t need to wear a mask, what we’re really saying is make sure you prioritize it first to the people who need the masks. In a perfect world, if you had all the masks you wanted, then someone walking the street with a mask doesn’t bother me, you can get something for your protection. But make sure you prioritize it well.

AF: There’s a stockpile of tens and tens of millions of masks. But you know, we live in a country where we can do things pretty efficiently. Once you get the private sector involved, they can whip out millions and millions of masks. So, literally at the last meeting we had, we said ‘okay, enough is enough, let’s get them and flood it, let’s get those companies to make them.’ And they’re willing to do it. You know, it’s very interesting that you’d think the federal government would almost have to force them to do it. We’re not seeing that. We’re seeing them stepping forward and wanting to do it themselves.

AF: You brought it up in one of the questions that you asked me. This dichotomy between people who are being frightened to death of it versus people who don’t even believe it and that it’s something trivial that you don’t have to worry about. I’d like to get the people in the country to realize that we are dealing with a serious problem. It’s something that we’ve modified our lives for – it’s not convenient to lock yourself in. It’s not convenient to not do these kinds of things. It’s not convenient for you to not be playing basketball. But we’re going through a period of time now where we’ve got to, as a country, pull together, don’t get frightened, don’t get intimidated, use the energy to be able to confront it and do the kinds of things that will put an end to it. So I want to get rid of that misconception that there are extremes – either the world is going to end or we don’t want to do anything. It isn’t that. It’s somewhere in the middle.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They were talking about it a couple of months ago, I think, but I'm not sure there was ever more than 1 strain identified. I thought someone posted in this thread an article or tweet saying so, anyway.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Last Thursday, there were at 10K CV+ in the USA. I boldly predicted that there would be 30K by the end of the month. I was an idiot. In just 7 days with 5 days in the month to go, we are at 80K.

#4440 No Worries, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020