1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have positively identified 3-4 locations, skiing slopes and the bar in Ischgl where most of the foreigners spread it around real bad.

So those 3 locations plus one in Carinthia was on lockdown during the weekend.

Today everyone is grounded except for work, groceries, help of elders and for a walk if they need to but alone.

malakas likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tyrol is locked down.

Nook, CCity Zero, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Damn restaurants are panicking. I sold 3rd party delivery for 4 years until Tilman bought our company and fcked it up.

Anyways, I’ve had some insanely high volume restaurants that never looked at the concept call me today saying they need help. Saying sales are down 50%+, and I’m talking about 3 mil a year + restaurants (one that called me is around 8 million a year).

If you can, order carry out or buy a gift card to your favorite local place. Everything helps.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Good, I hope the Austrians don't break the laws and don't try to have house parties and picnics.

Can you imagine only in one day in Milano they found 200 quarantine breakers, when the country has 300 deaths per day? 600.000 euros in fines since the beginning of the quarantine in Italy.

Here we only quarantined two mountain villages so far, where it appears 90% of the people are infected. They all went to a funeral.

CCity Zero, Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

San Francisco on 3 week lockdown

6. malakas

malakas Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ise-nhs-advice-to-take-ibuprofen-for-covid-19

NHS guidance states that people managing Covid-19 symptoms at home should take paracetamol or ibuprofen.

“I would advise against that,” said Prof Ian Jones, a virologist at the University of Reading. “There’s good scientific evidence for ibuprofen aggravating the condition or prolonging it. That recommendation needs to be updated.”
    Paul Little, a professor of primary care research at the University of Southampton, said: “The general feeling is that the French advice is fairly sensible. There is now a sizeable literature from case control studies in several countries that prolonged illness or the complications of respiratory infections may be more common when non-steroidal anti-inflammatories [NSAIDs] are used.”

A trial by Little and his colleagues, published in the BMJ, found patients with respiratory infections such as coughs, colds and sore throats who were prescribed ibuprofen rather than paracetamol by their GP were more likely to subsequently suffer severe illness or complications. Several other studies have linked anti-inflammatory drugs to worsened pneumonia.

Little said this could be because inflammation is part of the body’s natural response to infection. “If you’re suppressing that natural response, you’re likely inhibiting your body’s ability to fight off infection,” he said.

The evidence in this area was “not 100% clear” and had not come directly from studies of patients with Covid-19, Little said. “I personally think that given there is plausible evidence for harm, the advice should be changed.

“In the meantime, for treating symptoms such as fever and sore throat, it seems sensible to stick to paracetamol as first choice.”

“Patients who have been prescribed NSAIDs for long-term health problems should continue to take them as directed by their healthcare professional,” the statement added.

CCity Zero, Miracle, Yung-T and 3 others like this.
  7. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I could see Houston implementing the same type of lockdown San Fran just ordered this week if cases continue to grow here locally - the biggest problem is people who are positive for the virus but asymptomatic passing it along to someone else which has been happening all over the US.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For anyone wondering, Paracetamol is acetaminophen/Tylenol.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

@malakas

Apparently the UK is reversing course on their "bold strategy" after legislators realized hundreds of thousands of people would die. Now they are going to a full blown suppression effort.

10. malakas

malakas Member

The best option for low fever is SWEAT IT OUT.
    Low fever is good. Your body is fighting the infection. The high temperature helps kill the virus.

If you can't take it then take Tylenol.
    If the fever gets high over 39,5 C (with the armpit method, don't know how this is with other methods americans use) then seek medical assistance. Especially if you develop breathing difficulties.

CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. donkeypunch

Release the damn sharks.

Nook and Richie_Rich like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

More on France.
    The army is already out in the streets

From tomorrow 100.000 policemen will patrolling the street and everyone must have a statement that shows they have a good reason to leave their house otherwise a fine of 38 euros.
    In the future this will become 138 euros.
    The army will be responsible for transferring the patients to the hospitals!!

WOW I guess the data that France has on their hands about Paris says that it is going to be a real warzone.

15. malakas

malakas Member

wow now I have become scared again.

Why would Macron order the army to play the role of the ambulances?
    How many critical and severe patients that require hospitalisation in Paris is he expecting?
    Hundreds of Thousands?

16. donkeypunch

Damn, it might go to Martial Law for bigger cities here on out.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

Not really. They only give "advice" they have taken zero measures. Not one. Even Moldova and Bosnia have taken more measures than the UK.

They say "the British nation is responsible so they will follow the advice" :rolleyes:
    Guess the british tourists that come here and Ibiza every year to get piss drunk and fck each other in the streets aren't british, but aliens with british passports.

Pub, bar and restaurant owners are saying that Johnson hasn't closed them down to avoid giving them support and cancelling their taxes.

But since he didnt even close down the schools (3% of GDP is at stake after all), it is obvious what is happening.

Money over lives.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So sad.

But more than blaming leaders everywhere, we just have to admit: humans have to see things get bad before they act, in general. "OWW! Who knew mah chest hair could CATCH ON FAHHR!"

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think, SF now under "shelter in place" orders. Even our local liquor stores are closing. THIS IS NAHT OKAY.

#2698 B-Bob, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    CCity Zero and Richie_Rich like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

RIP

20. donkeypunch

Very true on the human factor, but I will add if a leader leads by example and has more sense of urgency in his pressers, then that would at least sway more of the non-believers that were sitting on the fence and worried about what their peers thought about how they reacted to a situation like this.

Nook, B-Bob, CCity Zero and 1 other person like this.