1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Well our experts on tv are saying that the countries they fear most about (except ourselves ofc) is the UK, and that it will show in the following 10 days when the deaths begin piling up.
    I don't see how you can ban a country like Poland or Germany and allow the UK which has been exporting cases for the last month to other countries.

Hakeemtheking, CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

May or may not have to do with a certain hotel

No Worries likes this.
  3. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread, but I had to correct this: 4.9% of people aged 15-49 in Sub-Saharan Africa have HIV. Source.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. malakas

malakas Member

I am talking about the country of South Africa. Under the age of 50.

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

That's why they had to bring the army into the streets. It's hell in Iran right now.
    And Iran has probably a better healthcare system than most of the Middle East. :(

So much for it being a flu.
    I don't see Iran digging mass graves for the seasonal flu every year.

7. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

Ah, my mistake. I carelessly misread.

malakas likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The US is re-evaluating their stance on the UK according to the presser.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  9. BleedsRocketRed

My industry (Airline) is being absolutely DEVASTATED on a level that's incomprehensible by this pandemic and ensuing panic (justified or not, doesn't matter). The darkest days are yet to come and not even over a decade of seniority may save my job.

They are trying to make it through the storm through at least April but with over a 70% drop in future bookings, deep deep cuts and layoffs are eventually in order.

Tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs over the next 12 months. We're all on edge and being in the office is unnerving to say the least. This is the only job and industry I have known. I have no idea what I am going to do without it.

I do not wish this on my worst enemy.

10. malakas

malakas Member

I hope everything goes well in the continent of Africa and the most important is the young age and not malnutrition and HIV epidemic and other diseases. Also they are humid and warm and many areas are rural, which is the worst environment for the spread of the virus.

We can only hope because even rich countries like Italy are now asking for help, noone will be able to help them if they are hit hard.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Iran is screwed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1196ae-5c9f-11ea-ac50-18701e14e06d_story.html

he five nurses, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss their working conditions, said that some medical staff were being prevented from wearing masks to avoid causing panic and that there were shortages of masks, gloves and other protective gear for workers. The nurses also described a staffing shortage as medical workers were being shifted among hospitals to address the growing caseload.

Beyond a concerted effort to play down the severity of the epidemic, Iranian authorities have taken steps that probably accelerated the virus’s spread. In the crucial first days of Iran’s outbreak, for instance, officials rebuffed calls for quarantines, urged Iranians to participate in national elections and balked at closing holy shrines to the public.

According to Iranian officials, the outbreak in their country began in the holy city of Qom after an infected Iranian businessman returned home from China. The Health Ministry announced the first two cases on Feb. 19, just two days before parliamentary elections.

Despite the emerging outbreak, government officials urged Iranians to vote in the elections to boost turnout amid crises that have challenged the standing and credibility of Iran’s leadership. In January, prominent military commander Qasem Soleimani was killed in a U.S. drone strike. Then, the government faced searing criticism for covering up the role of security forces in downing a civilian airliner near Tehran, just months after those forces helped carry out a crackdown on anti-government demonstrators that left hundreds of protesters dead.

Iranian officials “didn’t want to discourage people from participating,” said Kamiar Alaei, a visiting professor and expert on communicable diseases and global health policy at the University of Oxford. “They downplayed the seriousness of the disease and misled and misinformed the health system.”

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Just horrible.
    They aren't the only ones who have downplayed the seriousness of the disease. Who hasn't?

If it wasn't for the example of Italy, and Europe was hit all at the same time we may not have had cover ups but we would also be fcked.

France and Germany have banned the export of masks, disinfectants and pure alcohol. Everyone is trying at the last minute to boost their healthcare systems, with more ICU beds, ventilators and the recruitment of doctors and nurses.

Closing down everything and promoting social distance and staying at home.

What if it wasn't for Italy?
    Maybe there would also be mass graves dug here.
    If they aren't dug in the next month anyway.

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It wouldn't surprise me. During Harvey, their offices were flooded and everybody was set up to work from home for like 5-6 months. They have the infrastructure to send folks to work from home, so it makes sense.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Their approach is crazy.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

17. Buck Turgidson

Oh ****.

Nook and malakas like this.
  18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Luckily China is going back online and the global supply chain is getting restarted. I imagine they'll be cranking out 24/7 supplies of face masks, ventilators, and other critical medical goods to ship to countries in need. Things would have been worse if the virus hit all countries simultaneously.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21177964/apple-stores-china-reopened-coronavirus-covid-19

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

More than crazy. They are mad scientists using people lives like they are lab mice and trying an experiment.
    **** is about to hit the fan.

I also believe as in that post that the numbers in Italy are suppressed.

Why else almost all the EU countries are now scrambling to shut everything down?
    Three days ago it was "be cool and wash your hands" and it has now become " Stay home or die".

I have done the best I could.
    I have locked my parents and banned them exit, if it is absolutely necessary they are wearing masks and gloves and go out in the dawn when the streets are empty.
    I have personally called all elderly relatives and my mother's lady friends to hammer the fear of death into their ears.

70 year olds had been strolling around like nothing is wrong in the market and taking walks.:rolleyes:
    And I had to hear
    "but how can we make it one month without going our daily walk in the park and the shops?"
    "How can we make it a month without going out to take fresh bread from the bakery?"

Simple.
    Do it or die.
    There isn't anything else to say at this point.
    Whoever wants to live will have to do what they have to do to survive.
    The rest who are idiots, or have idiot progeny will not make it.

Miracle, saitou and Hakeemtheking like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I started a game thread in the Dish for this :)