1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Couple movie questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Oct 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Alright, I am all for open interpretation of symbolism in movies, but I am not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to understanding exactly how things unfold in movies like this.

Two questions regarding two different movies -- Ronin and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

In Ronin, was DeNiro's character always working for the CIA the whole time? Or, did he officially leave, and then, after his conscience gets the best of him, does he go ahead and decide to join back with them in order to capture Infiniti guy? Also, what was in the case? A nuke or something?

Okay, and in Crouching Tiger, does Jen really committ suicide? Is Lo's fairy tale just a big crock of BS? It seems like he knew as much, being that he looked like somebody lit his dog on fire when she jumped off. But if not, are we meant to believe that they would just end up in the desert together again?

OR is this, as mentioned above, just totally open to interpretation however we, the viewers, see fit?

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

In Ronin, my impression was that he was working for the CIA the whole time.

As for what's in the case, that is completely up to interpretation. It's not important to the plot what it is.... only that varying interests want whatever it is.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

In my opinion, I think both are open to interpretation but here are my following thoughts.

In ronin they don’t even hint at what could be in the case, just that it is significant. I have seen the movie several times and have always thought that he was always CIA.

I think the end of Crouching Tiger was a little in between the two you listed. I think that she actually killed herself but that she had hope that the fairytale would somehow be true. The dispiriting music also gave me the impression she was actually dead.